Forums > Technical Discussion > Rope wicks for double staffs?

Login/Join to Participate

Posted:
I am currently in the process of putting together a set of 3.5ft doubles staffs. Has anyone had any experience using kevlar rope for the wicking material? It would seem to me that the undulating surface of the rope (thus increased surface area) would provide for both a longer burn and a bigger flame.

Am I right on this?

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
My friend tried this and yes, very big flame with a very large burn off. Unfortunatly he could not figure out a good way of keeping the rope on and it unraveled after a couple weeks.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

MotleyGOLD Member
addict
434 posts

Posted:
Try this smile

[Old link]

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Is rope taking the 'drops' well? umm

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

FireInMenewbie
2 posts

Posted:
weavesmiley I use kevlar wick with my staffs. I would most definately concur that it burns longer. I prefer it, myself. ubblove

~*once and a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right...*~

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
I thought that pretty much everyone was using kevlar cloth if they could.

This is talking about using kevlar rope instead to get bigger flames. Unless I am misunderstanding you....

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Posted:
This is good news smile I'm thinking about screwing down the ends of the rope to hold it together, maybe with another screw halfway down. I'm not sure if that is going to be enough to keep it solid through the endless drops and abuse that these poor staffs are going to go through.

I'm mostly now wondring if a braided setup like Rellizate used would be that much better vs a tight wrap with the ends screwed down to prevent slipage... I believe the braid would have more surface area (one of the main reasons to use rope over ribbon) but it looks like a major pain.

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
braiding a barrel knot like what Rellizate did is not particularly hard, actually. Making a decent monkey's fist is harder. You can pick up the pattern fairly quickly. I used it to make a fine set of poi wicks already and I've promised Rel that I would experiment with using it to make a staff like his, that could be plugged.

Check the thread that FireTom linked. It has an excellent explanation of how to make one and I have yet to see any other style that really compares to it in regards to surface exposure.

If you are interested in making braids like that, this is a handy link for creating various types: https://www.boondoggleman.com/the_projects.htm

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Don't deserve the credit on this one shrug wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
oopsie! My mistake. I should have read more closely. Thanks to Motley for the link earlier then.

friends? biggrin

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

Posted:
Thanks for the links and the help, as soon as I come up with the cash to get the parts I need I'll make a pair and let you guys know how it turns out.

Out of curiosity, any idea on how large I should make the wicks on 3.5ft staffs? I'm thinking 4in would be the best comprimise between saftey, usability and visual apeal. I'm almost tempted to go for 8in wicks, but I think that might be a little heavy for doubles.

Last question: Roughly how much rope would 4in wicks take? The boondoggle weaves call for absurd amounts of boondoggle to get appreciable length, but that's because boondoggle is very thin. With rope I'm not sure how much I should need and I'm trying to avoid buying way to much rope. Although I suppose with what is left over I could make fire snakes....