Forums > Social Chat > I'm takeing a trip......

Login/Join to Participate

_VT_SILVER Member
Your Face!
1,173 posts

Posted:
I'm goeing to be deployed to afganistan near the end of march. When I go on R&R from afganistan, me and the wife have been talking about spending a week in Dublin,Ireland and then a week in London. Can anyone recommend any decent hotels or Bed and Breakfast's to stay in either of these two places. I'd ask for fellow hoppers to put me up if it was just me but seeing as how i'm bringing the wife wink.
EDITED_BY: _VT_ (1204585259)

Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism - how passionately I hate them!
-Albert Einstein-

Peanut butter... It fills the cracks of the soul! -Paul Blart-

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
umm I'm not patronizing, but you think Afghanistan is "the place to be" for Americans/ at this time? *coughs*

Best of luck, errm "safe travels"... shrug

(btw I love your signature hug )

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
There's this really cool place called Melbourne, Australia... wink

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
 Written by: FireTom

umm I'm not patronizing, but you think Afghanistan is "the place to be" for Americans/ at this time? *coughs*

Best of luck, errm "safe travels"... shrug

(btw I love your signature hug )

VT was huckstered into military service a few years back. I get the sense that his little tour of afghanistan isn't a pleasure trip with a guide who carries a pink umbrella so you don't lose her.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Strangely enough I was just looking at Afganistan and the international military area on google earth about an hour ago. Its really hillly there.

I indeed doubt there will be too many pink umbrellas to be found

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

_VT_SILVER Member
Your Face!
1,173 posts

Posted:
Yes, lighning is correct when he say's that I am in the military. I'm going to be deploying to Afganistan around the end of this month. Me and the wife thought it would be a good idea to do some traveling this time when I go on leave from deployment. I'm just haveing trouble finding places to stay that are under a $100 dollars a night and the staff is courteous.

Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism - how passionately I hate them!
-Albert Einstein-

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
hug
Be safe VT, and hope you have fun in the UK.

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
smile

Best wishes on your deployment... I hope it goes well for you, and you come back safe.

Dublin (and London) are horrendously expensive...

Would you consider travelling a bit further to get cheaper accom?

In Ireland (and if you have the cash) it could be worth hiring a motorhome for a few days and driving around yourself (definitely, definitely the best way to see the country).

You could leave from Dublin, head around the Ring of Kerry, through Dingle, up the west coast (the stunning cliffs of Moher), then over to the middle and the Hill of Tara and Newgrange... and just take your time and enjoy the adventure.

Dublin is mainly expensive bars, hotels and restaurants... and I suspect you might want some greenery and quietness on your travels?

I've done a wee google search and found these places:

www.celticcampervans.com
And
https://www.motorhomesworldwide.com/motorhome/ireland.shtml?gclid=COej0OG285ECFQVCMAodQXm1ow

But I can't recommend either - I just found these on a google search.

I'd recommend the same in England... avoid London, it is expensive (and you can always travel in for the touristy stuff and shows).

There are LOADS of spinners and jugglers staying in Bristol, and it's quite a nice part of the country, on all accounts. Maybe look into accom there?

Best wishes

smile

Getting to the other side smile

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Whilst I love London I do agree with Claire that for a visitor it can be rather expensive. But it is one of the great cities of the world and I happily walk around it everyday.

For cheap, decent places to stay look in the travel sections of national newspapers and you'll find articles like this. TimeOut is also a good place to look as it's more interesting than many guide books.

One thing to consider is that London is big, and it takes half a day to get to somewhere else. However if you go to Edinburgh you're quickly out into some beautiful country side. London for a week is doable and you'll get a lot done, but it might be an idea to mix it up and do two places in a week. Air and train travel around Europe is pretty cheap and quick - by train you can be in the centre of Paris from London in 2.5 hours.

And keep outta too much trouble in Afghanistan, it's a complete mess of a country! And remember, the pointy end goes towards the bad guys.

_VT_SILVER Member
Your Face!
1,173 posts

Posted:
I talked with the wife and we are probably going to stay in Bristol when in the U.K.. We are thinking of getting one of getting a Britpass so we can ride the train all over Ireland and the U.K.

-Albert Einstein-