mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Real story about a group of 1950's Russian skiers who die in the Ural Mountains.

Linkies:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyatlov_pass_accident

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=48027&hl=

https://www.moscowtimes.ru/stories/2008/02/04/004.html

Unfortunately the definative source is a Russian book in russian, which I can't read.

So the story goes: Ten youths, about 20-25 years old, 8 men and 2 women, head out on a skiing 'mission' / adventure, as youths of the time were prone to do. It was a fashion at the time (1959) to go on these kind of missions to develop yourself and your survival techniques, as well as spending time with your friends.

Unfortunately one comes down ill and has to go back to town. He's the only surviver.

The 9 continue on for some days, taking pictures, writing in their journals and so on, until the night of Feb 2nd. On this night, due to bad weather, or not, or just because they can, (Sources are unclear) they decide to camp on the gentle slope of a mountain. There's some forest close by they ignore, 1.5km away. That's when all writing and pictures stop.

The university they are from knows to expect them back on the 12th of February, but the one surviver has told them the rest of the group might be slightly late. It's not till the 20th of February that a search party is organised. Civilians and later the military get involved in the search.

The tent is found on the 26th of February. It's empty, ripped open, apparently from the inside with all their belongings inside it. Footprints from 8-9 people lead away from the tent toward the forest, stopping after 500m. These are foot prints in the snow, of barefoot and sock wearing people, and one or two of them have one shoe on.

By air on the same day, 5 bodies are found in the forest, 2, naked beside a makeshift campfire. The other three, roughly 75m away, looking like they're crawling back to the tent. All five are found to have died of Hypothermia.

Weirder details emerge, there was plenty of dry firewood around, but instead they used fresh wood stripped from the trees. Also, a nearby tree had damage up to five meters in height, as if somebody had climbed up there to get a look back at the campsite, or at their four other friends... or something else.

The other four were found a long time later, on May 4th, a little deeper into the forest, 300m, and buried under 4 meters of snow in a stream valley. These ones had some of the clothes of the five that died of hypothermia, one using a pair of underpants as a makeshift sock.

They initially looked they had died of exposure also, but autopsies revealed massive internal injuries to their ribcages and skulls. (but apparently with no external bruising or cuts.) One of them a women, is frequently reported to have no tongue, thou others report she was also missing other parts of her face, being consistent with being out in the wild for 3 months.

"Baffled investigators said the group died as a result of "a compelling unknown force" -- and then abruptly closed the case and filed it as top secret."

There are various reports of radioactivity, strange lights, and that the hill they died on as being somewhere to really not go, by the indigenous locals. (Including many other groups of 9 having died on that hill.)

Subsequently the area was closed for two years by the authorities. and the official cause was said to be hypothermia and the line enforced by the government.

Supposedly extra bit and bobs that weren't identified by the remaining surviver were found around the camp, a sheath for a knife and a piece of cloth that might have been from a military coat. I should think someone would be able to bring along a brand new knife in a cloth with them, but other accounts say there was a lot more found that was not part of the groups belongings, including skis and such like. Thou there is never any mention of human tracks being discovered.

And how the footprints managed to survive 3 weeks is another question. No snow fall for three weeks on a mountain in Russia?

Anyway, it's a good mystery story...

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
Wow weird........What's the Russian equivlent to the Chupacabra?

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
That is really odd... I like the fact the moutain is called "moutain of the dead".

Quoted from Wiki, "The force required to cause such damage would have been extremely high, with one expert comparing it to the force of a car crash. Notably, the bodies had no external wounds, as if they were crippled by a high level of pressure."

Odd...what could have caused death by pressure in the mountains?

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
I wonder what had happened to make them cut their tent open with a knife. This is really spooky!

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Being crushed against a tree in an avalanche could cause those injuries, maybe, not the skull one thou, by accounts. But wouldn't that leave bruising on the outside of the body? They were naked, surely you would have scratches and bits of tree bark in your skin?

Plus, no evidence of avalanches in the area, or heavy snowfalls to cause them, plus the slope is particularly mild.

They could have had those injuries caused after death, but then why in such a localised area with no external wounds? They are out there for 3 months...

Personally, it does make sense for a goverment coverup... I mean, marking fresh footprints in the snow wouldn't be so hard. they only had to do 500m of it... Thou why killing 9 tourist hikers was so nessessary? And how do you discern if a tent is cut from inside?

Plus if it baffled the locals who knew the area well, there must be good reason. The articles make no claim of surprise that footprints in snow could survive 3 weeks.

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Has any one come up with any theory?

smile

Thanks mog

Getting to the other side smile

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
 Written by: mcp

Thou why killing 9 tourist hikers was so nessessary?

Secret Soviet Weapon..... a dooms day device perhaps.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Pink...?

Odd...what could have caused death by pressure in the mountains?

Non-Https Image Link

umm

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

jeff(fake)Scientist of Fortune
1,189 posts

Posted:
Ooo, spooky. Think I might use that one round a campfire.

Spoiler warning:
Most of the story is probably made up. Lets say nine people die in fairly odd circumstances due to drink/drugs. Add forty years of highly accurate soviet reporting and gossip, and suddenly you have inexplicable injuries and top secret radiation mysteries. Add the internet, and it just gets juicer.

According to Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle of Quantum Dynamics, we may already be making love right now...

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Jeff, it's still fun to think about! biggrin

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Probably mostly true actually, there was a book written about it by a russian (which is availible on the internet for free, but in russian, and google translation sucks.), and recently a russian committee re-investigated the case and demanded the government tell them the truth of what happened, implying military involvement. That and the fact that back then radiation controls weren't as strict and some of the students could have become irradiated if they worked at certain industrial jobs. Plus facts of the matter would be get blown out of proportion by time. Like the tongue thing, they always mention the tongue thing.

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
I bet the Blaire Witch Project people heard about this.....reminds me of it......tongue thing in that one too lol

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!