Page:
16.15.8GOLD Member
I can´t think therefore I´m not
291 posts

Posted:
Hello spinners.

Ivè bin starting to work on a system for poi and it`s to early to fully show it but I find so much interesting stuff thru this system and one of them I really need to share with you guys.

In my eyes this way of movement will blow peoples minds if performed right.
I can`t do it yest but trying to reach the point where people can notice the difference between spinning normal and spinning with speedbumbs (thats what I call it right now).
So what you do when you spin is that you change the speed within a beat (one spin). It will give the effect that the poi is jumping or skipping forward in the motion it has. This shall be done in beat with the music to gve a nice effect. It`s possible to do more then one speedbump within one beat but the more you do the harder it gets.

In my movie below at 1:28 you can se me doing som huggie thingy that ends up above the shoulder if you look at my left hand poi you will see one jump, hardly noticeable but it is there and I will try to do it better.. biggrin

https://youtube.com/watch?v=RTCoX8s96JU

Something to work on? ubbidea

"I don´t like shoes, definitely not spinning with shoes, they make my feet feel flat, my feet are not flat...."

MikeIconGOLD Member
Pooh-Bah
2,109 posts

Posted:
Id like to just throw word Hyper Rhythmic out here to see how it hits you... Like nesting a rhythmic variation inside an outer rhythmic structure... Rhythm within rhythm = hyper rhythm?

Let's turn those old bridges we crossed into ashes.
We'll blaze a new trail,
and torch the rough patches.

-Me

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
I love the word, but the only gripe I have is that it interferes with "Hyper loop" which to me is a tangle that keeps tangling around itself. ( Orbital ) being the real name.

It might make sense or just be a source of confusion to some. But I like it and I think I will even use it...

So what I'm trying to do are "Hyper rhythmic driving style changes".

=)

16.15.8GOLD Member
I can´t think therefore I´m not
291 posts

Posted:
Nerds (compliment) wink
EDITED_BY: like my poi, my heart is on fire (1216173404)

"I don´t like shoes, definitely not spinning with shoes, they make my feet feel flat, my feet are not flat...."

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Hey Thomas! So glad you coming to UberOz! Its gonna be (nerdy) fun!

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

ZealotSILVER Member
stranger
12 posts

Posted:
This is fun! I just needed to play with that 5 beat explanation a bit and it was mine. It feels so nice; the one poi just takes up its space a beat ahead of schedule, sexy $$

_Zealot

DyamiTKGOLD Member
beginner forever
159 posts

Posted:
I have a poly-rhythmic type move I do from thread the needle (aka punch through) where I speed up the forwards poi, then let it fall back into regular timing as I pull it back. Is that sort of along the lines of what we are talking about?

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Hmm... Are you talking about like split time thread the needle? Because I always thought that was polyrhythmic.

If at any time one poi is going faster than the other, then its polyrhythmic, I believe... moreso if its 2:1 or 3:1 or 3:2 or some sort of relative speed... which it almost always is just so it works properly as a pattern involving two poi.

hug

DyamiTKGOLD Member
beginner forever
159 posts

Posted:
what I consider to be the split time thread the needle is where the heads meet at the sides rather then the top and bottom (hands are bobbing side to side).

What i am talking about is a polyrhythmic but by Nevisoul's definition is not actually a speedbump since it does not "change the speed within a beat" but rather does two or more beats in the forwards punch before falling back into the normal 2beat pattern.

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
OH! I didnt even look at the thread I was in. I thought you were asking about polyrhythms not speedbumps... I believe the poi that is in front has to change in order for it to be a speedbump, yeah.

And RE:Split time thread the needle, I always felt that in order to make it split time it ended up being polyrhythmic because if I do the same action with my hands apart the one out in front is doing two beats to the one that is coming from the bottom to the top(done with extension is what I mean by "With hands apart"), but I never really did pay much attention to what was going on there, I just knew I liked it.

Way too tired... am I on topic or way off?

hug

Dante40SILVER Member
WITHOUT DANCE, LIFE WOULD HAVE NO MEANING
24 posts

Posted:
Hey man, I watched the video and thought it was great! I'm not a newbie with poi, but I'm new to fire. I started spinning with pounce a few weeks ago... she's amazing. You may not have been at your best, but "we" would've never known if you hadn't said so!

never sell yourself short... it was great to me! smile

Dante' Xtravaganza
"BECAUSE OF MUSIC, I AM, BECAUSE OF DANCE, I LIVE."

IceAngelSILVER Member
41 posts

Posted:
thanks dannydevil smile - made it make heaps more sense - i'm in class and can't download the video till i get home. wish i could poi under the table to test it out tongue2

Page: