sichaineyBRONZE Member
enthusiast
242 posts

Posted:
Hi there,

Ive been working on combining simplish acrobatics into my single staff spin

See here:
https://www.homeofpoi.com/gallery/showpho...=all&page=1

As well as this im also playing around with kart wheels and other breakdance style moves, is there any others out there doing this kind of style? if so who and is there video footage?

Many thanks

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
Hi si
do you know tim chown from chimera?,he is combining capoera and contact staff in a cool way,
i also do some ground work with staff,there are some ideas on my videos but nothing ive trained properly for years,

sichaineyBRONZE Member
enthusiast
242 posts

Posted:
i do know Tim from a few spinning festivals, wasnt aware he was doing this ... I shall quiz him next time I see him. Im thinking of taking up an adult gymnastic class so I can learn how to perform no handed kart wheels. Will check out the vids smile

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
I was working on capoeira with staff.. had got as far as cartwheels with a staff on the shoulders all the way through... until I screwed a muscle in my wrist= instant 4 week ban on cartwheels and spinning *sigh*

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
having just been to paris with ninja dave you should hook up with sometime as well,he gets down on the ground a lot whilst still maintain some smoth contact moves

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
capoeira has many gorgeous cartwheel ('au') movements that can be performed on fire toys with care. au's can freeze ('au batido' an upside-down-kick) and can be done without hands touching the ground 'au sem mao'

like with weapons training, *definitely* get it down flawlessly with empty hands before considering doing it with 1 or 2 flaming staves.

capo is a graceful, flowing form. if your style does not flow, maybe learning gymnastics for static acro.

ps don't break your leg!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

sichaineyBRONZE Member
enthusiast
242 posts

Posted:
Hey Bender

Thanks for the info, I have met some guys who can do capoeira with staff and it does look amazing!!
I have decided (for now) to take up break dance as I want an element of street in my performance. First lesson is tomorrow so hopefully no broken legs!!!! wrists, arms, ankles, coller bones, fingers or face!

ZazieBRONZE Member
There Is No Spoon
68 posts

Posted:
 Written by :bender

au's can freeze ('au batido' an upside-down-kick) and can be done without hands touching the ground 'au sem mao'

at the same time? aerial freezes - that's what i'm working on next wink

i was trying to do back walkovers one-handed for ages (i've got forward one handed down) - so the staff could just spin sagittal plane in the other hand - but then my shoulder died and so did the idea. i figured it would be possible to keep it spinning in transverse plane too if you had really good timing - even a palm spin. you'd end up in quite a weird twisted position but could just half turn out.

so i'm now trying 2 handed with contact. it's possible to matrix then roll down as the leg comes up, wrap the leg as it's vertical.. but then it's the whole upside-down-with-a-staff-in-the-face scenario... could overtake with the other leg to land on, bend the first leg and lock the staff to your hip...

anyone else played with this sort of thing?

Three years of my life that took. And I get; "... nice."

DaGGOLD Member
Golf buggie driving instructor
156 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Zazie

so i'm now trying 2 handed with contact. it's possible to matrix then roll down as the leg comes up, wrap the leg as it's vertical.. but then it's the whole upside-down-with-a-staff-in-the-face scenario... could overtake with the other leg to land on, bend the first leg and lock the staff to your hip...

I think i have been trying something similar. Except I get into it from a hip wrap, then cartwheel into the staff so it moves between my legs. i can get into the position fine. but i can't for the life of me work out how to get out of it.

I think *think* that once up in a handstand position you could come down via a walkover leading with the same leg you went into the cartwheel with. But I can't walkover so i guess you have to try biggrin

One handed cartwheels are quite adaptable with staff. I can do them in both vertical and horizontal planes.
And recently was taught a cartwheel and a butterfly kick using a staff martial arts style but that comes with a huge risk of bending.

ohh and a walkover while doing a palm spin sounds insanely beautifu Zaziel! please learn!! biggrin ubbrollsmile ubblove

sichaineyBRONZE Member
enthusiast
242 posts

Posted:
we need video footage!!!

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
i found a web site with fire twirling lessons

Non-Https Image Link

lol

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Kyle McLeanBRONZE Member
Living it up
363 posts

Posted:
Haha who's the yobo? ubblol

Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film

Kyle McLeanBRONZE Member
Living it up
363 posts

Posted:
@Bender
Gonna be in Melbourne for the next 10 days or so hope to catch up with you dude. Don't know how I missed you when I was LIVING down there.

Oh yeah and do check out his site. It is good. Crazy even.

Contact without dance is like sex without wiggling.
A) it does feel as good
B) it does not look as good on film