BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
Hi guys...

well, the circus never ends... I am currently being requested to help organize a summer camp project in the refugee camps, and one possibily for student from the illegal migrant schools on the outside... It is a month long committment, teaching workshops in skills such as staff, poi, juggling, break dance, hoop etc.Three aspects: Skills, building toys, and putting together a show. There will be one group of interested kids, and they will be yours for almost a month...

Interested? let me know... It is essentially volunteer work, but food and accomodation is covered.

Having just worked in this area I have to say it will be an amazing, amazing experience!

Let me know asap, and please spread the word...

love

a

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Depends when it is, cos i might be in thailand this year...

The last one sounded so good, I would to do this one...

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
looks like it will be mid april til mid may... come! We need you!These kids, in this area, are fabulous to work with, so appreciative and open, never have a chance for stuff like this so they go mad for it. The energy is high!

some of the hill tribe and migrant audiences we had were incredible, it was like they were with you every step of the way, completely present and engrossed in your moves, and letting you know it. Hilarious at times, but sooooo refreshing!

Come and join the circus Meg!
Yipee1

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
For those that like details:
SUMMER CAMP CONCEPT- Mae Sot

DESCRIPTION;

One month summer camp intensive in circus arts. Ideally during the school summer break, mid April to mid May.

Children and young adults will be chosen from the local schools( migrant, hill tribe, and Thai) based on their interest and apptitude. The kids can be recommended either by their teachers, or selected by their skills demonstrated during an afternoon sample workshop, such as we did during the Laughing for Life circus tour in January. The group will be twenty -thirty total, and likely an age range of 13-17 year olds. The workshops and activities will be five days a week, similar hours to a school program-- for example 9 am -11 am, and then 1-3pm each day. In the last two weeks of the project , there will be one night a week with evening hours from 6-8 pm, so they have an opportunity to practice with fire. The project will need covered shaded area with a sound system and microphone to teach, and arrangements must be made to provide some kind of snack/lunch options for the children. Dinner will be offered on the night practices, as the kids will not necessarily be able to get home and back in time. The first two weeks the kids will get training and exposure to all the various skills sets through workshops. Last two weeks they will chose two of their favorites to focus on more intensively, with the intention of developing performance level skill.

The project will begin with a show presented by the fire circus instructors, and culminate in a show put together and performed by the children, and offered to the local communities free of charge.

INTENTION;
There are three focal aspects of the project:
1) teaching fire circus skills( such as poi, staff, juggling/contact juggling, hula hoop, devil sticks, and acro/break dance)
2)teaching the making of the toys and tools used in play and performance.
3) teaching the steps involved in choreographing a performance, and in stage managing and presenting a fire circus show

Primary objective of the summer camp concept is to offer interested and skilled kids a creative fun play activity during their summer break. Secondary, long term objective is to offer a chance to develop a skill set that may give them with opportunities for versatile, creative employment in the future, either performing/busking, making/selling circus toys, or managing a stage show.

INSTRUCTION:
There will be six experienced workshop instructors( from a variety of nationalities) , each with a focus performance skill in one or two of the offered circus arts. The teachers will require food and dormitory accomodation near the teaching location during the week. We would like there to be representatives teachers from the community who would like to learn with their students, and this be able to continue development of the skills after completion of the camp. These participants could also be invaluable to help with any needed translation.

BUDGET;

There is a possibility to work within a wide range of budgets, depending what is available! We can work on a shoe string, or offer something more refined and elaborate if there are more resources available. We may be able to solicit donations from some toys companies, or support from other major circus groups if necessary...

An example is a project total of approximetly 90,000 baht for the following possibilities:

Breakdown--

A)-Basic food , accommodation and transportation--sufficient for six instructors , five days a week. We are not sure what is available for what costs in the region, but a tentative estimate might be 300 -500 baht per day per person. Some of the instructors are vegetarian.The instructors are willing to volunteer their time and expertise, as long as they don't run a personal financial deficit for their basic needs during that time. They will be entirely self sufficient on the weekends. For this project one of my personal goals is to make sure the instructors have their basic needs well met , as they need to be able to be foccussed and energetic during an sustained and extended period of time. We saw that trying our previous short term project on too tight of a shoe string- both time and money wise- resulted in time lost due to illness and exaustion. Obviously would like to avoid that! Also, as they are all volunteers, we would like to make sure they have enough energy to enjoy the situation and their surroundings to the fullest!
Estimate- 36000-40000 baht

B)-Tools/toys for workshops-ten sets poi, ten hoops, ten staffs, ten sets juggle balls, devils sticks...

The budget for these would be around 10000-20000 baht .**This cost could be eliminated if arrangements were made to use some of the ones donated by Laughing for Life Circus in January. **

C)-Tools and supplies used for teaching toy making. Kevlar, rubber, string, chain, wood,leather, fabric... a cordless drill, saw, glues, pliers, basic tool kit. Estimate:10000-15000 baht. ***This cost could be reduced in a number of ways- using more locally available materials, borrowing tools, by selling the toys made to subsidize the costs...

D)-Show Supplies- kerosene, buckets, towels, fire extinguisher, lights, back drop etc. Fuel for each fire show runs around 500 baht a show. A practice night would be similar in fuel use. Other supplies can be scavenged from what is available, or bought outright...Fire toys used will be made by the kids themselves,in the toy making workshop.

E)- Costuming- kids love the crazy colourful costuming part of circus! it is not manditory, but if possible to raise 5000-10000 baht for this purpose it would be great. Costume supplies for fire circus are specialized in some regards as they must be fire safe. We can work with whatever is available though.

CONCLUSION

This is a simple outline of the idea, and we can flesh it out in a variety of directions, taking into account the desires and needs of the local communities and schools. We loved our workshops series there in January, and look forward to doing a more sustainable project with the kids!

We are interested in doing this summer camp concept in a variety of locations, including inside the refugge camps if possible. Please forward this outline to any interested parties!

smiles
Andrea
Circus coordinator( other wise known as the Ring Leader!)

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
yay! the summer camp in the refugee camp concept has recieved approval from the powers that be...

now we just need 100000 baht.

Anyone want to do some serious fundraising? Let me know...

Seriously, I cant do fundraising well from here, and I am aware right now of my own physical and practical limitations-- meaning I can organize this event in all other regards, but am not going to attempt the fund raising too, from a place with no power and limited communication signals... eep.

But I already have one NGO that says they will meet whatever we can raise, and another thinking of funding an outside the camps version entirely...

so we shall see.

But be in touch if you have interest or ability to fundraise.

we really need some help!

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
mid april to mid may!

ARGH!

No can do... I'm already booked for those dates...

frown redface frown frown frown

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.