Forums > Meet Others > Less than a week to go - ZA/Oz/NZ, here I come!

Login/Join to Participate

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Hello

To add to the increasing number of UK spinners invading the world (from which I am making Manchester a hotspot ), I will be setting off from the UK for a year or more of travelling on September 10th.

Itinery as follows, (dates yet to be finalised)

11/9/08 - 20/11/08 - Namibia and South Africa, passing through Cape Town and spending the most time near Plettenberg Bay

21/11/08 - 6/12/08 - Malaysia, seeing some Urang Otans - any other advice for sights to see, dos/ don'ts in this area greatly appreciated.

6/12/08 - 10/01/09 - Japan - Osaka to Tokyo, again, sights appreciated.

10/01/09 - 11/02/09 - travelling round Oz, flying in and out of Sydney, will hopefully be making it to melbourne and the barrier reef.

11/02/09 - 6 to 23 month stay in New Zeland, depending on jobs/accomodation etc. Will be staying near Auckland initially at least (on Herald Island), but intend to travel round and see the sights during my stay.

And possibly onwards from there.

So, I would love to hear from anyone wanting to meet up, who can recomend things to do/ sights to see/ places to stay/ spinning to be had.

I would love to meet as many of you lovely people as possible

Can't wait!

EDITED_BY: pricklyleaf (1220609985)

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I'd offer you a place to stay but you don't want to visit the lovely city of melbourne frown

What sort of things are you interested in in Japan?

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Japan = Ghibli Museum!

+ chistmas island - all those crabs y'know?

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
ooh, i'd love to go to the ghibli museum. Do they have a Totoro in there? A big cuddly one?

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Ooo, I've never heard of that, I'm going to look it now.

...Looks great, will definately have to have a look at that one.

@ Rouge, sorry I'm not going that far south, although there is nothing to say I can't hop across again at some point to explore a bit more, would be great to meet you. In Japan, I'm really interested in seeing some of the buddist temples, and that side of the culture, haven't had a chance to research anything yet. I hope the fact I don't speak a word of Japanese is going to be a problem!

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Holly, the great thing about speaking english, is that we don't NEED to learn any other language ubblol If they don't understand you just speak louder and slower ubblol

HEL-LO I AM ENGLISH, YES?! DO YOU UN-DER-STAND?

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Holly, damn you! Yet another great manchester person ups and leaves us.

On the subject of japan Kaz is always going on about the dome in hiroshima. Supposedly its the only thing that survived the blast and is now surrounded by a peace park.

In fact you'll have to drop over to chorlton (just moved house again)and have a chat with kaz about it. I'm sure she can tell you a thousend cool places to go in japan.

smile

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
That's some plan you have there! I should be in New Zealand in early 2009, so put "meet up with Birgit" on your to do list smile

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Would love to come and have a chat smile I don't too far from Chorlton, let me know when you're free. (Although I'm fairly busy for the next 2 weeks so after that would probably be best).

Birgit - would be fantastic to meet up with you in New Zealand, I'll hold you to that one! (Seem a bit extreme for us both to travel to the other side of the world to meet up, but definately a great idea!).

What are your plans whilst your there?

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Kyoto is a must see for temples and shrines.
Fushimi Inari

Kiyomizudera

Nara is a day trip from Kyoto and has lots of shrines and temples including one with a giant Buddha and lots of deer running around the place that you can feed.

Mt Fuji is between Osaka and Tokyo so make sure you stop in there.

Hakone is gorgeous so make sure you stop in there too.

Train travel in Japan is disgustingly expensive, so be warned there.

And don't worry about not speaking Japanese. I speak Japanese but the locals still spoke English to me. Somehow it didn't seem to compute for them that I was speaking Japanese! Although do be prepared for "wow! you Japanese is so good!" after saying "arigatou"

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

WOFTSILVER Member
Likes trees...
209 posts

Posted:
Try be in Cape Town on a Wednesday - thats the local fire spinning night. If the weather is warm enough (September is still a bit dodgy), we go to one of the beaches on monday night. Give me a shout when you are in Cape Town, and i'll let you know when and where the meets are.

There is lady in Plet who spins/juggles/ CJ's. Are you perhaps staying with her?

'n Boer maak 'n plan.

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
That would be great. I'm sure I can work it easily to be there on a Wednesday, I'm hoping the weather won't be too bad.

I'm actually staying in the crags, doing a project with WWISA. Not heard/met the lady you're talking about, but would be great to be in contact with her, as that is where I'll be spending a lot of time. Thanks

Ralph Waldo Emerson

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
If you get far east enough to get to Grahamstown, there is usually something on a Friday afternoon.

Otherwise, I am sure something can be arranged if you just pass through.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Hi Aston, I will more than likely be passing through Grahamstown, again, I can try and work it to be there on a Friday. Wow, so much planning to do!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Come to Perth ubbrollsmile. Brissie, Melbourne and Adelaide probably have the biggest spiining circles though

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

MokaGOLD Member
is a medium/large scary man
420 posts

Posted:
While you're in Malaysia make sure you go to Penang! There are some really great temples (Kek Lok Si has a 30meter solid bronze Kuan Yin), Penang Hill is a sight to see... and not to mention the shopping!!!

If it's wildlife ur after, the snake temple in Penang is a sight to see... You can pose for photos and handle Pit Vipers!

I've only been to penang so thats all i can comment on in malaysia...

PM me if u have any more Qs

and as for ur Oz trip... Do come to Melbourne! biggrin Great spinning groups down here wink

PS: The food in Penang is second to none! I have no problem in saying they have the best food in the world (best tasting at least!)

Contact juggling was invented by dung beetles.

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
I can add a don't for Malaysia.. Do not, under any circumstances, stay in the Lonely Planet recommended hostel for KL. It is, without question, the worst place I have ever stayed in my life.

And that included a Kenyan Brothel my parents accidently booked us all into when I was 16.

The staff will blatantly steal your stuff from their 'safety deposit boxes' under the happy knowledge that tourists will have no idea who to complain to, and it's a total dump. The dorms were mixed, with no air-con, no window, and no fan, and boiling hot- they messed up my booking, they had bed-bugs, everything was broken..
Ooh.. it's getting me all wound up just thinking about it.

So yeah- don't go there. It's called 'Pudu Hostel', just opposite Pudu Raya Bus Station, and I can honestly say I got more sleep when I tried to have a kip on the bus station floor.

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
OK, I'm thinking of extending my stay in South East Asia. It will cost me £60 I think to change all my flights. At the moment I'm only staying in Malaysia for 2 weeks, but I'm starting to really want to stay for longer. Is it worth changing my flights so I can travel round the area longer?

Any recomendations for places to visit etc, in that area.

The difficulty is, that because of Christmas, I would probably have to extend my stay until after the new year, before I can get into Japan. Is it worth it?

Help please!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
Umm.. I did enjoy Malaysia, and of course there's Thailand and Singapore and loads of other places are very easy to get to from there.

Are you going to West Malaysia? As in the peninsula?

I really liked Pulau Tioman- a few small islands off the East coast, don't seem to get so much mention in the guide books, but very nice, cheap, relaxed, and good snorkelling, plus very cheap diving, if you're into that.

Taman Negara is good to visit, but leave quite a few days, if you want to see anything there you have to go pretty deep into the forest, and it's really slow going as it's soooo hot, and you'll probobly get attacked by leeches all the time. Still good though.

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

keyarghahPLATINUM Member
Woodford is Goodford..!
241 posts

Posted:
yay! when you make it to sydney let me know smile im sure therel be some people back from woodford/peats ridge fests by then.. we spin, like, everyday, somewhere smile primary days are mondays, wednesday nights (juggling) and thursday nights (fire)
x

'FREE HUGGIES!!'

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
As I can't seem to edit my original post, I'm going to bump the thread.

I'm leaving in a week! Woo hoo!

So anyone in South Africa to start off with, would love to come and meet you! :-)

Ralph Waldo Emerson

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Did you get my pm?

Managed to get a contact in Cape Town.

And, again, if you make it through Grahamstown, something may be happening. smile

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland