Forums > Social Discussion > Petition against nomination of Tony Blair for EU president

Login/Join to Participate

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
I think you'll all agree the man who led us into an illegal war against the wishes of the vast majority of EU citizens, ruining the national image of the UK in the process, should not be president of the EU. This is one of many, many reasons could give, but it is the most obvious internationally recognisable one. Feel free to ask me questions if you want.

If you are in agreement, please go and sign this petition, no matter what country you are from.

https://www.gopetition.com/petitions/stopblair/sign.html

Thank you.

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Yep - I meant to look for this the other night when I heard about it - but like most things in my life right now, I got distracted and forgot about it frown

Thanks for posting Mr Blue hug

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Shared this across facebook... hope people take notice.

smile

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
You said feel free to ask questions wink

Is he really that hated? He's been in politics for what, almost 25 years now? Up until a few years ago didn't most people like him?

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
yep, he really is that hated in this country. mostly because people were so excited about having him run our country. me included. he came to power after 18 years of conservative government that had increased unemployment, widened the gap between rich and poor, and privatised many of our industries that were doing just fine, and since then have had to be bailed out many times by successive governments.

he then proceeded to break practically every large promise made when he came to power.

He made the following statement in his election address:

"Mine is the first generation able to contemplate the possibility that we may live our entire lives without going to war or sending our children to war. That is a prize beyond value and this agreement is a great contribution to it."

he led us into a war 4 years later, and a second in 2003, that the vast majority of the population was, and still is, against. Britain's largest demonstration (against the war) was entirely ignored. He lied to the government and people on many, many occasions about our reasons for going to war. In doing so he made the UK a major target for terrorism. We also now live in a culture of fear, and xenophobic attacks, verbal, written and physical have increased enormously in the past 10 years.

He also presided over a string of extremely unpopular decisions.

introducing top up fees for students
privatising large sections of our health care system
changing the constitution of his own party so that he would have more power - its supposed to be the labour party, based on workers rights over executive decision

He and his government have eroded our civil rights to a frightening degree. we now live in a country where under the phrase 'counter terrorism' a person can be arrested, not told why, held indefinitely if police apply for extensions (new proposed legislation will alow people to be geld for up to 42 days without application for extension), and when released (IF released!) are legally restricted from saying where they have been - that is, if they tell even their families, in theory they can be arrested!!!

His government have consistently said that they wish to stop climate change yet have in fact passed laws to deregulate industry and allow them to set their own targets, adapted laws that might have made a difference so they are in fact powerless, and proceeded with several extremely unpopular plans related to this issue - to build many new nuclear power stations, build a third runway at Heathrow amongst others.

anyway...

the biggie is definitely iraq. very few people that i know approve of our role in the war. even those who support the war in principle don't beleive we went to war for the reasons TB told us. he lied, and has refused to admit it. we don't like that. people who admit mistakes do well over here. he is not one of them, unfortunately...

over and out.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
signed, thanks Blu for posting. He shouldn't be (especially not the first) EU President

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

PinkNigelPinker than thou
336 posts

Posted:
While I support the idea, I will not be signing for the simple reason that despite the padlock picture and "GoPetition respects your privacy" at the bottom of the page, it is NOT a secure site. No, sorry , you might need to record my IP address to legitimise your list, but without "httpS" at the start of your address you can't have it.

A shame, cos the censored censored who lead a Labour government through its first ever terms that saw a widening of the gap between rich and poor thoroughly deserves a political kick in the...

A wise man once said: "You have two ears and one mouth, therefore you should shut the censored up and listen" (though, to be fair, he might not've put it _quite_ like that..)

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
(off topic questioning - i just did a round of banking sites, forums, government sites, and none of them are 'https'. why would you then use any of them but not this? IP addresses are recorded all the time, but LOADS of sites, this one just tells you that it is...)

PinkNigelPinker than thou
336 posts

Posted:
 Written by: bluecat

(off topic questioning - i just did a round of banking sites, forums, government sites, and none of them are 'https'. why would you then use any of them but not this? IP addresses are recorded all the time, but LOADS of sites, this one just tells you that it is...)

Because when you get to the part where you give them information then they are https...
..Basically, if you're going to put a big padlock picture there implying that your site is secure, then it ought to be. Anyways, as you said, OT. Where were we?

Ah yes, Uncle Tony is a complete censored

A wise man once said: "You have two ears and one mouth, therefore you should shut the censored up and listen" (though, to be fair, he might not've put it _quite_ like that..)

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Do you think the EU would ever elect tony blair? Don't they all hate us for not joining rank and file into the EU?

But I can see how they might like him, he'd do what he was told, whatever would come of it.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.