Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > Common Ground '08, - PLEASE Keep discussion in the '09 thread! :)

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
KatincaSee my vest.... see my vest...
693 posts

Posted:
Welcome the the 2008 Common Ground Thread!

***SOLD OUT***

DO NOT TRANSFER ANY MONEY INTO OUR ACCOUNT USING DETAILS SOURCED FROM PEOPLE OTHER THAN US and think that that somehow qualifies you for a ticket after the sellout announcement!

We are going to begin returning payments made in this way. We appreciate your enthusiasm, but please please respect our limits -we have provided the max number we can have for the event.

------------

*ROLL UP* *ROLL UP*

TICKETS ARE NOW ON SALE !

Please email [email]common-ground2006athotmail.com[/email] to request ticket numbers.

Early bird tickets avaliable till end of Aug or until sold out - $30
Not so early bird - $40 till end of September or until sold out
Didn't sort it out at all on the door tickets - $50 (only if available)

The dates for this years Common Ground are

Friday 3th of October to Monday 6th of October

For those living in states who celebrate Labour Day it falls on the 6th this year - which means an extra day to spend in the beautiful Adelaide hills. W00t

More soon......

EDITED_BY: Pyrolific (1241998294)

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

jcrsGOLD Member
the floor is a sea of tigers...
404 posts

Posted:
Looks like i'm all set! Yay!

or almost... i still need a ride of some descripton from newton shopping centre. Is there a possibility of hitching a ride or being picked up?

I'm arriving by plane at 1.40pm. Then it'll take me however long to get to the shopping centre (anyone able to give me an estimate on how long that'll take?).

failing that if i end up cabbing it, what's the exact address i should be telling the cabbie? the cg site seems to imply that i can realistliclly get there via cab, but dosen't say where to (and no one better say bel-air).

Just over a month left to go!

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
the cheapest way to get there (without a lift) is to bus it to Newton, and then catch a cab. It's a 5-10minute easy cab ride from Newton to the site.

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

jcrsGOLD Member
the floor is a sea of tigers...
404 posts

Posted:
cool! cabbing doesn't look like such a crazy idea after all.
I just assumed that it's horribly far out because i read something somewhere about mobile reception being spotty.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Pyrolificthe cheapest way to get there (without a lift) is to bus it to Newton, and then catch a cab. It's a 5-10minute easy cab ride from Newton to the site.

for our airport CG folkz, here's a map that shows the quickest route from the airport to newtown shopping centre to Montecute smile

Non-Https Image Link

Click on the image for 1500+ px wide map

as u can see, if u can get to newtown by pubic transport, it's only a shorter, curlier distance to the fest from there.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
thats quite the swanky map you have there benderson.

.... so is there any update on the jelly wrestling?
EDITED_BY: ben-ja-men (1220280767)

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
mmm jelly wrestling...

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

6,978 posts

Posted:
jelly awesome. we need meg to run a 'imitate ben imitating meg' workshop.

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
lol ill bring some spandex

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

hannahfaerieplaying in the mud but looking for the sparkle
35 posts

Posted:
Yay! So glad I got those tickets early. Working on new jewellery, my friend the lizard queen is working on lots of warm clothes to sell and I am talking Helena into bringing some of the beautiful hand spun clothing.

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
and ill supply the Enya music.

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
bounce2 bounce2 bounce2 bounce2 bounce2 bounce2 bounce2 bounce2

Looking forward to finally meeting some lovely spinny spinny people! Sorry... I'm excited! I don't bite if my muzzle is firmly attached! grin

If you wanna find me I'll be doing one of four things... weavesmiley peace meditate or hug

hug

693 posts

Posted:
Hi Everyone,

PLEASE stop asking me for tickets and sending me money as I have to send it back. And I hate saying NO but I have too! I can't do anything more for people. You wouldn't ask BASS to save you a ticket once a big concert has sold out. I have to the same and that is to say: NO - try again next year. I don't like saying no. BUT I have too. There are NO more CG tickets left.

Also please can you tell all your friends that it has sold out, because I am now getting worried that interstate people are booking plane tickets, and then booking CG tickets - and you can clearly see that that's not going to work and is going to cause some mega disappointment and financial outlay. SO PLEASE tell people!

This = stress and it's not even CG yet. frown

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
Can I just point out that although the site at CG looks like it can fit more people on it, we are bound by very strict usage regulations...if we don't follow these it could put future CGs in jeopardy, and exposes ourselves to difficulties and risks we aren't prepared to accept. Please respect this.

Cheers,

Josh

--

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
clap

hug for josh & kate smile

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
You guys are truly awesome

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

6,978 posts

Posted:
not long now guys!

Non-Https Image Link

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
I wonder if I can still find my 'roarfire' badge that lovely Lou made in 05? smile

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Ok... so I know about the workshops available... I'll be beginner in everything but poi... what sorts of things are taught in the beginners class and whats to be taught in the "Intermediate/Advanced poi (or something similar with Brett?)"

hug

693 posts

Posted:
You will just have to wait and see what people want to teach.

Could be anything really? Including tidily-winks...(although we have had lots of talk of this type of workshop - it hasn't actually eventuated yet.. smile

No guarantees of any type of workshop, just know that there will be some and they will be fun.

And... of course you could always put on one of your own. grin

Love and Light

~*~ Katinca ~*~

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Hmm... I dunno about putting one on of my own... I'd need to do a "how to put on a workshop" workshop first...

But I may or may not be shirtless, I have a "Beatles" tattoo on my chest and a Celtic tree of life and a "give peace a chance" tattoo on my back...

If anyone wants to ask me any questions at all on poi, don't hesitate to ask... I may not have the answers, but I'm probably able to talk to you about how we could both go about finding the answer at least.

hug

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Well probably the workshop I would do would be 'how to put on a workshop' as it happens!

Seeing as how I've put on a few... and am doing an adult education degree... and my current research topic is 'teaching people how to have fun'!

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I'm doing a primary education degree, so I'm aware of pedagogical practices... its more learning the formats for workshops and that kind of thing, what kind of a lesson plan is required...

I'd have thought that with twirling it'd be so hard to cater for people... my girlfriend for example can do spiral wraps, antispin and various other things that beginners don't tend to do, but she can't do a 5 beat weave, her hip reels are non existent... so catering for that kind of thing confuses me... its not like theres a curriculum set out for poi spinners, its not like there are progression points or standards that people tend to have worked toward... I dunno how broad a workshop is... could be more like an inquiry based approach with the students just doing as they please and the teacher offering feedback on whatever they're doing and scaffolding it like that...

Hmm, ramble, ramble, ramble. Scuse that... see what I mean though?

But

WOOO!!!! CG! 26 sleeps!

hug

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Mother_Natures_Sonits not like theres a curriculum set out for poi spinners, its not like there are progression points or standards that people tend to have worked toward

when i used to take workshops more often, i found having a rough plan of what you want to go through helps and giving people lots of ideas to play with is good as not everyone will get everything but if you show people enough different stuff everyone should atleast get one thing.

Ive found inquiry based approachs can tend to isolate most of the group if the person making the inquiry takes a long time to ask the question and wants to show you stuff.

6,978 posts

Posted:
If you are teaching heavy toys, i suggest a compulsory warm up of wrists and shoulders. leave the last quarter of your workshop either with extra lessons or questions, depending on the level of interaction.

Handling questions is up to your discretion, however if someone's persistent, ask that they continue their enquiries for the time you'll allow at the end. Questions are important to answer but not to the detriment of others trying to learn the core lessons of your workshop.

Besides, tricky technical points can be discussed at leisure cus it's gonna be one lovely looooooong weekend.

b

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
MNS, Personally, I like the workshops which teach me to do specific things, like a workshop on "variations of the weave" because that takes away the element of what constitutes beginner, intermediate, advanced, because as you said, there's no set curriculum so it's not always clear what your standard is.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Sorry, I probably should have explained my ramblings better, inquiry based approach is where you set the learner up with the tools required to ask questions of themselves and to let them explore with in scaffolded activities.

Its all pretty much academic though, anyway, I haven't really got the skills to teach a proper workshop.... I've only been at poi a year.

hug

natasqiaddict
489 posts

Posted:
Is there/will there be anyone in Adelaide who firechucks? I don't wanna go through airport security etc etc and risk confiscation if there's not.

margitaSILVER Member
3,777 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: roarfireI wonder if I can still find my 'roarfire' badge that lovely Lou made in 05? smile

*hnn* i still have both of my cg badges made by the lovely lou!! grin i might bring mine too!! one has glitter...so maybe that one!! bounce2

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
there will be at least one person there who does fire chucks - although probly more.

in terms of workshops - if you know something well enough to teach it to someone else, then you should consider doing it. Part of the CG philosophy is that everyone's contribution is valued - if you teach a bunch of complete beginners how to do a weave, your contribution will be valued. and likewise, if you teach a bunch of jaded geeks to remember to move their feet - your contribution will be valued. put a wrap in someones hair...teach macrame etc etc.

sure its all hippy stuff - but we feel it will lead to a greater level of happiness and hence participation in spinning/juggling/tiddlywinx on all levels.

--

margitaSILVER Member
3,777 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Pyrolific...if you teach a bunch of jaded geeks to remember to move their feet...

laugh3

Page: ......