PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
What do you think of them?

There's been a marathon of them on today, and I personally think they are awesome.

I know a lot of people who hate them.

I think they force performers to up their game, and really, they only show one limited way of doing a stunt/trick.

However, I did see the gaffed version of several sideshow stunts, including fire eating. That pissed me off. They don't need to be gaffed and the gaff version only set people up to get injured should they try it for real and it downplays something people can do for real, with skill.

Thoughts?

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
Hurm it is one of those impossible things do decide on for me.

I hate the way they produce them to sound aggressive against the performers that do the stunts. Kind of like they expect people to be outraged.

But some times if they show a trick or a stunt on way and you can actually do it another way, you can use that to your advantage by showing that their way of doing the trick could not possibly work.

Also I suppose part of the magic of sideshow style stunts is all of the crazy myths that are floating around about how they are achieved. Like contortionists being double jointed, fire performers bathing in freezing water before shows and that they use "cold" fire. This means People's curiosity will get the best of them and they will want to see for them selves.

I suppose these days there are not as many crazy rumours as there use to be with people being generally more educated about anatomy and that sort of thing though.

But yeah, most of the time I think that these shows suck life out of these arts and any show discussing technique could be dangerous if people did not have the sense to seek out a proper mentor before trying them.

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I don't really like them because I've never found them to tell you anything.

And to be honest, I generally prefer not knowing how things are done because knowing takes away the "magic" (even though Pete's killed a bit of that for me!). But I don't like calling them "secrets of" shows when they don't tell any secrets. I'd much prefer a "magic show" that I can just watch for entertainment.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Pele

However, I did see the gaffed version of several sideshow stunts, including fire eating. That pissed me off. They don't need to be gaffed ...

What does gaffed mean in this context?

The only uses I know of the word are

1. killing a fish by smacking it in the head (presumably not even magicians exposing their tricks deserve that

wink

2. bound by strong cloth tape frequently used by sound guys etc (could be used to tie up said performers?)

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
I'm guessing, from the context, that 'gaffed' fire eating would maybe involve some kind of gadget that makes the performance look like fire eating, but it's actually faked??

(eg like sword swallowing using a retractable blade, so there's no actual swallowing of the sword)

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
810 posts

Posted:
Gaffed in this sense means sort of faked or trick.

I don't know how fire eating would be gaffed but an example of a stunt that could be gaffed would be sword swallowing where the sword swallower uses a retractable blade.

Mind you most retractable swords are quite obviously fake and lame so if you have seen a sword swallower they were probably not using one.
EDITED_BY: Blueberry (1202097327)

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
810 posts

Posted:
Eeep sorry dave i din't read your post before i posted mine.

So yeah what he said.

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Or like exceptionally large body parts that were in fact.. attached by gaffer tape.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
like... ? umm wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:

I think they force performers to up their game, and really, they only show one limited way of doing a stunt/trick.

I have never seen such a show and wouldnt want to watch one. I LIKE being a gullible, impressed audience member.. not many areas of life I get to go *WOW they're so clever! * so that's part of the fun for me. But I am curious in what way the force performers to improve?

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
810 posts

Posted:
 Written by: newgabe

I have never seen such a show and don;t really like the idea of them.. but I am curious in what way the force performers to improve?

I'm not so sure about the side show angle but with magic i suppose they would have to find more ingeniouse ways to do the same trick?

Also with the side show stunts it could mean that performers work on there entertaining skills beacuse in the end thats what you are going for not just the "trick". So even if you know how the stunt works if the performer still does a good job of entertaining you would still enjoy it i suppose.

Still don't like the idea of the shows though.

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
 Written by: newgabe

What does gaffed mean in this context?
The only uses I know of the word are
1. killing a fish by smacking it in the head (presumably not even magicians exposing their tricks deserve that
wink
2. bound by strong cloth tape frequently used by sound guys etc (could be used to tie up said performers?)

gaffed = faked to look real

and the gaffing you refer to about fishing is actually the insertion of a metal hook into the side of the fish (hitting it over the head = bludgeon)

offtopic

back on topic biggrin

I love and hate those shows, I know I should preserve the mystery and not watch them, but I can't help myself and love to now how it's all done...especially the construction side of things...but I feel like I shouldn't watch them... confused

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Ah yes in a moment of workplace mental doodling I came across this list of carny terms that describes it well... in terms of fish (hooking) even.

Thanks!

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
LOL

Sorry. I'm so used to talking with carnies that I didn't think the word "gaff" would cause such ponderances! lol

In theater a gaffer is a person who rigs stuff, so yeah.

The gaffing of fire eating that I saw, essentially involved blowing out the torch and shoving it in your mouth behind all the smoke. Also angling yourself so it goes behind your face instead of in your mouth but making it look like it is.

I've actually learned construction and execution of some of the things we use in our acts from those shows. I passed them by pros that I know, altered and amended them as I needed. They have been great.

What I mean by helping a performer get better is we are then forced to not only step up how they present the acts (no more "I have the mystical power of not being hurt" crap, thank goodness!!!!) but it also forces us to step up and change *how* we do it.

If a show says that glass walkers put carpet mats under their broken glass to absorb some of the "impact", then to step it up, that element is removed.

If a trick shown says that you have to hide this or that, you find a way to expose this or that to remove that element.

They really do help.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
I'm split on the subject... just for NYE I saw a contact ball performance that deeply impressed me wow and two weeks later somebody gave me an all too reasonable explanation for it... frown Dizzappointing that is, like loosing Santa Claus for the millionth time in a row...

Ppl performing for these shows are not doing their trade a great favour by revealing the secrets to the general audience... another reason NOT to watch TV: it's getting us too smart about the less important things in life and too ignorant on what really matters...

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink