Forums > Help! > gold coast poi spinners/jugglers/contact jugglers for home education

Login/Join to Participate

ferrousBRONZE Member
55 posts

Posted:
i know that a lot of poi spinners/jugglers/contact jugglers etc are usually friendly & willing to help out any new starters who are keen to learn. i'm wondering if this extends to home schoolers?

i'm home educating my little one & we're part of a couple of smallish groups of home educators. there's a group i've just joined up with who are based on the gold coast. when i mentioned the poi & gave them a demo, they started talking about a possible one time group meeting where someone could teach the young ones. it's a very small group at the moment & the age of the kids is around about grade one or two & younger, so four to six year olds.

is this too young to start them on some basic juggling/spinning skills?

i thought about staff spinning as well, but at that age, i'm sure it's best to start with something less likely to poke someone else's eyes out. lol! biggrin

are there any gold coast jugglers/spinners who are willing to meet with the mums & kids to teach them some tricks one afternoon? it's not a paid gig, so if you're keen, you'd be doing it out of the goodness of your heart & for the joy of seeing kids excited about learning something cool & fun. smile

please let me know what you think.

& also, i apologise if this is the wrong forum for this request. i thought of putting it into the events forum, but it's not exactly an event until i've lined up some willing jugglers/spinners, is it? heh. smile

thanks in advance for considering this request! smile

when i grow up, i want to be a circus freak.

fake teeth and glueBRONZE Member
Checking who's online, watching you!
1,972 posts

Posted:
sounds cool, i'm not sure about the age thing, i suppose you should steer away from knife juggling or fire breathing for the moment biggrin
a couple of years ago me and my sister put on a workshop for a home educated group and it was really good, we even made them into a circus, they were older than the age group you are talking about but their little siblings where interested too so at some events we took a "have a go box" out and that worked really well, we had things like juggling balls, soft poi, hoola hoops, twirly things, and the such.
smile

you just lost the game!!!!!! !!!!!

knowledge is power, power corupts, study hard, become evil.

ferrousBRONZE Member
55 posts

Posted:
 Written by: fake teeth and glue

a couple of years ago me and my sister put on a workshop for a home educated group and it was really good, we even made them into a circus, they were older than the age group you are talking about but their little siblings where interested too so at some events we took a "have a go box" out and that worked really well, we had things like juggling balls, soft poi, hoola hoops, twirly things, and the such.
smile

there was a hula hoop workshop on this last weekend at the andy warhol thing on at the gallery of modern art in brisbane. smiley (4 years old) had a go & didn't really get very far with it, but had a ball anyway.

i guess that's what it's about, really. just being exposed to those sort of skills.

are you in the gold coast area? are you saying you can help or just giving me ideas? either way is good. smile

fake teeth and glueBRONZE Member
Checking who's online, watching you!
1,972 posts

Posted:
depends, is the gold coast anywhere near the UK?
i'm more of an ideas man myself wink
somekids just like to play with the toys instead of playing with them ubbrollsmile but it's all about having fun
juggle ubbidea weavesmiley ubblol biggrin

you just lost the game!!!!!! !!!!!

knowledge is power, power corupts, study hard, become evil.

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Try Three Worlds the juggling shop on the Gold Coast Highway, in Miami, near Burleigh Heads. Very friendly lovely people and they know a lot of the local folks. May well have a message board too.
Cheers!
Gabe

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

ferrousBRONZE Member
55 posts

Posted:
 Written by: newgabe

Try Three Worlds the juggling shop on the Gold Coast Highway, in Miami, near Burleigh Heads. Very friendly lovely people and they know a lot of the local folks. May well have a message board too.
Cheers!
Gabe

awesome. thanks for the suggestion, newgabe. smile