la_genieBRONZE Member
73 posts

Posted:
I have an interesting problem when measuring myself for my poi length so i can buy my new poi i discovered that the length i should get (wrist to upper arm) does not take in to account that parts of me stick out past the upper arm measuring point.redface
Do any of the other ladies have this problem and if so how have you managed to work around it? I also have problems shooting pool because of the same parts. Please any help would be appreciated because I'm not going to buy my poi till i figure this out.
Genie

Be aware, the evil flowers may eat your toes....
Have no friends not equal to yourself...
Feed your mind, read a book

AmaraOSILVER Member
67 posts

Posted:
Genie, I know how you feel! I have REALLY large 'sticky outy girly bits' biggrin I feel they impede my poi greatly (trying to do chaser is just a pain!) I've decided to shorten my poi a bit to compensate- and it seems to work for me.

That would be my advice- if you are buying leashes that are a set standard length, they'll need to be adjusted for you anyway- so if you get them and make them your size, then play with them some- you'll work out if they need an adjustment, if you have trouble spinning around your girls biggrin

You also tilt when you should withdraw, and that is Knightly too. Rest In Peace, Heath.

Proudly Owned By FireTom.

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Go and play with other peoples poi until you find a length you like and a poi style you like. Make your own lovely non fire poi and then order the length you want. People hold and use poi differently as well and so slightly different grips may help. Freeing your arms up a bit away from your body (air those armpits) may give you a few extra cm to get past your lovely bits.
I find its my butt and head that get in the way mostly..

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

ChellySILVER Member
Niraffe
884 posts

Posted:
Maybe if you try making them with long socks and a pair of tennis balls first, then you'd get an idea of what length you need (wrap them round your hands until they's comfortable to spin with, then measure)?

Cheap and easy way to find out! hug

"Lots of beeping. And shaking and tinfoil." Chelly

"Are you sure it's a genuine test and not a robot heroin addict?" Cantus

---set free by the rather lovely FireTom---
--(right arm owned by Fyre)--

la_genieBRONZE Member
73 posts

Posted:
Thank you all for the advice. I do have some home made sock poi, and yes the arms are wide open. I have a feeling there will be some moves i just can't do. As for measuring the sock poi, what about the stretch? Im guessing that POI on ball chain does not stretch.
Oh and Gnor, my butt gets in the way also... but it does not hurt as bad when the tennis ball smacks into it, more padding i guess.... lol
Genie

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Make cone poi from cloth, Im not a big fan of string, especially when you are starting out as it tangles heaps. Theres a thread here somewhere on cone poi if you are interested. Choose cloth with no stretch if you want no bounce in your poi and you can customise them how you like. I make furry ones (see in my gallery) , plain ones and all sorts from a very simple pattern designed by one of the members on HOP (Dom I think).
Good luck!

Is it the Truth?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
What he wrote ditto

Is it the Truth?

la_genieBRONZE Member
73 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Gnor

Make cone poi from cloth, Im not a big fan of string, especially when you are starting out as it tangles heaps.

cone poi are like sock poi sorta.... right? when i looked for cone poi here all i found was sock poi...
Genie

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
poi_fox_with_balls_pink
Cone poi .....its about the shape

These are called sock poi.....Id call them cone poi as they are cone shaped not from socks.....confuddlement. The link Malcolm put above leads to a thread with a pattern by Dom.
Make the poi from a non stretchy fabric and you have non stretchy poi. There are some lush satins out there. I dont put handles on my cone poi unless asked but its about preference. Ive made them out of lots of fabric from satin to denim to sequins. I also make it without drawstring and with a slitto put the weight in, which is similar to the HOP "sock" poi.
Cone is simply a reference to the conelike shape I believe.

Is it the Truth?

la_genieBRONZE Member
73 posts

Posted:
ahhh sock poi with out the leg hole .... hehehe
ok thanks, ill look into that... originally i wanted to buy the fluffy practice poi from HOP but the whole length issue came up.... but for now... my striped knee socks and tennis balls seem to be working ok... can take up the slack when i need to...
Thanks everybody for the help
Genie