Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > All new HAPPY THURSDAYS, Guildford poi/juggle/arts nights

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
**EDIT**

Ignore all the stuff below this edit!

Until further notice - Thursdays are meeting "down the river" on Millmead island between The Brittannia pub and the Yvonne Arnaud theatre.

Parking is available outside the Brit', or in the council offices just past this, or if those are full in the large car park by the George Abbot pub.

It's a short (5-10 min) walk from Guildford station.

Keen people arrive straight from work (around 6pm) with the majority of people turning up around 8pm.

Ignore the stuff below this as it's not likely to happen in the near future, and during the summer it's nice to be outside.

~~~~~

This is currently provisional - it might be shunted back a week into February, but just thought I'd get the ball a-rolling...

So, we've been granted the use of a MASSIVE indoor space for Happy Thursdays. Approximately 3 tennis-courts worth of space eek

And it's FREE biggrin

From 7pm - 11pm (Every Thursday obviously) - though again, this might shift slightly.

Sadly we've lost a fair number of regular Guildford spinners, some for a short period, others for longer - but to counter this we're throwing the night wide open.

We want breakers, poppers, lockers, caporeia-istas (no idea how to spell that...), drummers, uni-cyclists on top of all the jugglers, spinners and manipulators.

Even Ed wink

Just waiting on a couple of final bits of info - for example i'm not sure about fire play yet - but potentially this could be an AWESOME night - loads of space, lots of light, warm, music and lots of people to learn off biggrin

Once I get a definite start date, i'll post a map and give more details of how to get there, but vaguely:

Car: It's about 2 minutes off the A3 (so even Londoners don't have an excuse wink ) at the Spectrum Sports Centre/Woking junction (as opposed to the Cathedral/University junction).

Public transport : You can get a bus to very near, and getting back into town/station will just involve lift sharing smile

(For climbers it's about a 5 minute walk from Craggy Island)

Woo, and indeed, hoo biggrin

It would be wicked if we could get LOADS of people down for the opening night *HINT HINT*

weavesmiley juggle :everythingelse:

EDITED_BY: Durbs (1211366900)

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Mr_JoePart-time genius
59 posts

Posted:
Awesome! I'll round up as many people as I can! biggrin

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
Should be there smile

But do we really need Ed wink

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Sounds great mr the durbs biggrin I'll see if I can convince simon to come. oh is there parking in the same timezone at this wonderful sounding new space?

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Yep yep - as I said, more details to come once the start date is confirmed. Don't want people turning up before it's started biggrin

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Excellent, hug hug hug Im free Thursdays.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Alas, wrong Guildford wink

Though you're more than welcome any time of course biggrin

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
And so the Happy Thursdays family gave birth to a new night. welcome What generation are we on now Paul? This must be at least Mk.4? umm

I shall just re-iterate that this hall is huge! We're talking sports hall. Ideal for jugglers. Goo transport links to Hampshire, Surrey and South London. And the best thing about it is that all the fluorescent lights on the walls have coloured bulbs... biggrin
juggle

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

Mr_JoePart-time genius
59 posts

Posted:
I guess it's not happening tonight? But I just thought I'd check, on the off-chance?

duballstarSILVER Member
slack rating - 9.5
2,216 posts

Posted:
[censored].. can't do this Thurs either.. frown

I will definitely be ready to start next week though!! With bells on! biggrin
juggle

It is our fantasies that make us real. Without our fantasies we're just a blank monkey' - Terry Pratchett

MagsKatBRONZE Member
Don't feed her cookies
113 posts

Posted:
looks like i'm back in time hopefully!

Formally known as kat224

We are not friends.. we never were.. but if i was part of your life then i thank you

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Right...
Bad-news/ok-news time.

Bad News:
The venue is having a change of management, which means all projects are on hold until mid-late April frown

Ok-ish News:
We've been offered a temporary venue to use instead. However it's in Old Woking. Apparently it is on a bus route from Guildford, and for those with cars it's alright (Except for me who has to go round half the world to get there - but anyway...)

So - Quick question, are people happy to go to Old Woking as a stop-gap or is it too far?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Well... the general feeling is a "no" to Woking it seems.

However, the forecast ain't tooooo terrible for this evening - so does anyone fancy a spin tonight at the river?
Wrap up warm, and bring fuel biggrin

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
*** NEWS FLASH ***

In a return to old-skool ways, we're meeting down by the river again until the venue gets sorted.
If the weather's rubbish, can just go to the Brittania pub, which has a covered outdoor area which we can play in...

For those new-ish peopl, "the river" is behind the Yvonen Arnaud theatre, across the footbrige on Millmead Island. Or across the footbridge from the Brittania pub.

Wrap up warm and bring fuel, drums, hats and smiles smile (A thermos flask full of hot chocolate often goes down well too wink )

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

ParafinfairySILVER Member
old hand
845 posts

Posted:
Its not that bad at the river in the winter fatty. Do a few mins of spinning outside get cold and go to the pub for a nice pint of strongie b!!!

Miss you guys kiss kiss

Slicing the Loaf as we speak.

I need it..... Trust me!

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Says you, lifting your rolls of flab to expose more sweaty flesh to the warm antipoedian sunshine as you bask away on sunny beaches with nothing but a duvet cover as a bikini to protect your dignity and sign saying "I'm not a beached whale" in case you doze off.

wink

:mwah:

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

MotleyGOLD Member
addict
434 posts

Posted:
I'm going to be down in Guildford for a week in April, might drop by and join in if thats OK. I know where the Brittania is so I should be able to find you, assuming your not in the new venue by then. I'll check up nearer the time anyway.

Cheers

Motley

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Cool smile

Anyone coming down tonight?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

old hand
845 posts

Posted:
ubblol ubblol ubblol

I need it..... Trust me!

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
The weather's 50/50 - Light rain at 18:00, clear by 21:00... so i think we'll risk it and turn up at 8, if it's raining - head to the Brittania, out the back is a covered patio where we can probably juggle, and certainly drink...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Terrible forecast for tonight and I'm fighting off a cold - so think tonight won't be happening frown

Synergy tomorrow though biggrin

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

MotleyGOLD Member
addict
434 posts

Posted:
Checking up as promised biggrin

I'll be down in Guildford next week, is there likely to be a meet on the 10th? If there is I'll hang around an extra day and come along.

Cheers
Motley

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
As likely as any other week wink

weather-wise who knows.... but maybe....maybe in the new venue. There's a meeting today I believe about it, so we could be next week if fingers are pulled out.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Ah...following a phone call, it ain't gonna be indoors next week ...maybe may.
*sigh*

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

Danny_GOLD Member
95 posts

Posted:
are people out tonight?

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Well, no rain forecast - so yes, I think so smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

Danny_GOLD Member
95 posts

Posted:
cool, see you later! it's been a little while.

MotleyGOLD Member
addict
434 posts

Posted:
Hi Guys, I'm down in Guildford tomorrow, anyone up for meeting at the Brittannia? I've got v limited internet access at the moment but will try to check back before tomorrow, otherwise I'll just show up on the offchance you there.

Motley

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Weather permitting i'll be there, as should some others smile

If it's really nice, I'll go straight from work again and be there around 6..

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

old hand
845 posts

Posted:
So fatty - its still at the river until further notice? I can't be arsed to read the rest of the thread, it takes a lot of energy keeping the fat eyelids open enough to focus....

I'll be there in 3 weeks Thursday so warm a strongerz for me - any word from the Dublin fatties??

hug kiss

I need it..... Trust me!

Bamsiclenewbie
38 posts

Posted:
Hi guys.... had a great time last night and will definately be coming back again. Will endeavour to bring more props.... and more layers of clothes.... SO COLD!

I don't try to be strange, stuff like that happens naturally...

Page: ...