Forums > Social Discussion > spiritual danger/enlightenment ..

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
ferrousBRONZE Member
55 posts

Posted:
not sure if this will be interesting to any/many of you, but from my short time here, it seems that at the very least, quite a few of you are up for a good spiritual debate, if nothing else. smile

just some background, first. i'll try to make it short.

my dad & i have a pretty close relationship. we don't agree on everything, but we talk very well & openly about most things. while i don't (these days) agree with his very black & white views on his deeply christian beliefs in god, he's pretty cluey about some spiritual matters. for example, he's a very good judge of character; he knows sometimes when things are going to happen; he gets strong feelings about things which are usually correct. about three times in my life i've felt extremely strong jabs of intuition telling me things about people as well. he has this sort of thing pretty often, i think.

his background is that he was heavily involved in the occult from quite a young age. he could see spirits & thought it was normal until he found out as a kid that not everyone sees them. he became involved with his father-in-law as a medium, he read people's minds, he used to be able to put thoughts into people's heads.

i don't have any doubt that all of what i've heard him tell about this is true. my dad is *the* most honest person i know. to a fault, in fact. he's the type that practically doesn't have a thought in his head that doesn't come out his mouth. he's not even good at little white lies .. such as telling women friends, "you're putting on weight!" lol! biggrin just as well they already know him well & that he's a good & honest man & that what you see if what you get with him, or he might get slapped fairly often.

in his early 20s he had a dramatic conversion to christianity while driving home from work one day. a 'bad' spirit started to choke him while he was driving. he became very frightened & called out "god!" (he's still not sure if it was asking for help or just using his name in vain) & then started having a vision of jesus & satan talking to him. after the vision, he was back in his car & had driven quite a distance through mountainous roads. there was quite a transformation for him, it seems, because as soon as he walked in the door, mum took one look at him & asked, "what happened?" since that time, he's been a very strong christian.

okay, enough background.

the other day, he called me to say hi & also to tell me that he had a very strong thought about me being in much danger. he said that it was odd to him because, in his words, "i never worry about you. you're very capable." (which was nice to hear. smile ) he said that he wasn't sure what sort of danger i might come across soon, but that it might be spiritual danger.

i took his words as he intended them, since i know him well & we are pretty similar in a lot of ways, so i thanked him for telling me & have been thinking about it once or twice a day since then.

now, the thing is, one man's spiritual danger might be another man's spiritual enlightenment. he believes that the only way to 'salvation' is through jesus christ. i used to be a church goer until i was in my early twenties. my (now ex-)husband was instrumental in me beginning to think for myself about spiritual & life matters when i was in my middle to late twenties. (yeah, i'm a late bloomer. lol!) i'm still not sure that i could define what i believe, but i guess i lean toward the belief that you create your own destiny. as for an afterlife, well, maybe there is one, maybe there isn't. maybe we get reincarnated.

so if my belief system is still changing & it's leaning more & more away from what my dad believes, then i'm thinking that in his mind, that could very well be interpreted as spiritual danger.

it's just me & my little boy (four years old) at home & even on the odd occasion that i get to go out with other adults without having to keep constant tabs on my little one, i don't really get to talk about this sort of stuff with others. i guess i'm just wanting to be able to discuss this with other adults who have an opinion on these sorts of matters.

so go for it. lol! biggrin

when i grow up, i want to be a circus freak.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
It's an educational process to search for the truth and not to believe anything (really) that's coming in from unverified sources. I reckon it's good.

"Why would they make it up?" IMHO a foolish question... How 'bout "because they can" and "because we believe them" as answers. "Why would I make it up?" is a far better one.

It really (to me) boils all down to the subject of maturing. Sure, we live in the information age but we get clogged with unnecessary data and have to apply spam guards in our perception, based upon the significance of information.

That might even apply to relationships.

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Thanks Stout, for your insight. I’m not one who readily grabs the microphone.

I don’t think it’s so much about blaming religion, as understanding the disorder.

I’d suggest that if you scrape away all the “mumbo jumbo” from the Secret and What the Bleep (Ramtha's School of Enlightenment), you will find ontology; the study of being.

cheers smile

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Bernie_FlameSILVER Member
Poi junkie
75 posts

Posted:
Always trust your intuition. in my opinion, it's there for our own survival and it is a skill that is being lost in todays civilised society. I too have a strong sense about people and it's never failed me (yet). One time i was on my way out when i sensed something was wrong at home and i had the compelling feeling to return. When I got home i found kids burgalling my house, and this is just one of many stories.
I too cannot explain this, or religion either, and I have also had some 'spiritual experiences' that i cannot explain and don't fully understand. This is not important to me. But I do believe there is God and I have complete faith in him.

man who go bed with itchy bum wake up with smelly finger!

ferrousBRONZE Member
55 posts

Posted:
 Written by: FireTom

Did your husband keep up that support for your individual thinking when you filed for divorce? Sarcasm, pls excuse.

lol! biggrin well, that support changed way earlier than when we decided to get divorced. hehe.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Maybe this is what your father is keeping you safe from

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

ferrousBRONZE Member
55 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Rouge Dragon

Maybe this is what your father is keeping you safe from

rotfpml!! ubblol

oh, man .. that's just a shocker. lol! biggrin

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
umm forgive me I'm a bit slow this morning, what is this about? rolleyes

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Page: