Forums > Technical Discussion > Lycopodium uses and concerns

Login/Join to Participate

HypnoticGOLD Member
44 posts

Posted:
Lycopodium is a chemical powder that can be found on Skylighter and feuershow.de. It ignites when shot through an existing fire or I would imagion fire put onto an existing pile of lycopodium. With the use of a "dragons toung" you can fire breath with less danger (impression from advertisement).
Though in the ad, video it seems to have an extreme "blowback?" anyway the fire creeps back torward you very quickly and the guy even caught his wrist on fire for a moment and had his arm fully extended. Which anyone who fire breaths has their torch about 11in from mouth. The dragons toung looks about 6in long and you blow through it to make the powder airborn.
Does anyone have any experience with this chemical that would like to shed any light on it? It seems to have many possibilities even if not used for breathing. ubbidea
They refer to it as spitting, and I remember a post by Pele I think about not spitting no matter what. eek

FearpigSILVER Member
member - tee hee "member"
279 posts

Posted:
https://cancerweb.ncl.ac.uk/cgi-bin/omd?lycopodium

I've never used it but I guess in theory it would have similar drawbacks to blowing fire by 'spitting' a flamable fluid from your mouth...

The fast rate of ignition when dispersed in air is due to the high surface area to volume ratio and as such the powder would blow in the wind the same way as a fluid would.

I suppose you could use some sort of pea-shooter type thing to move extend the distance from your face/hands.

Find someone whose used it to teach you and always start off with very small fuel quantities!

"Whats wrong with the cat?" - Mrs Schrödinger

jeangenieGOLD Member
19 posts

Posted:
lycopodium funnily enough is a homeopathic remedy for tonsilitis. mate of mine, who is a homeopath recommended i take some last week for my bout of tonsilitis - and it worked a charm! smile

jeangenieGOLD Member
19 posts

Posted:
i must add though:

it's not just a matter of taking some lycopodium powder to cure your tonsilitis eek get some proper shop bought remedy stuff, as it comes in teeny miniscule quantities.

mad though as it appears to be the cause of and solution to some types of sore throats!