RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
I think this move need a thread for nice found. Here we go.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Non-Https Image Link
(mirror)

Name: Cat Eye

Origin: Arashi
Found: AlienJon

Description:

This move resemble the cat eye "elliptic iris" and "circular pupil".

Quote:
Alien
Having since spoken to Arashi about it, he uses the term "cat eye" to mean any of several ellipses, and some linear isolations (I think is what he meant). So what I've been calling "cateye" is specifically the 1-beat antispin where the hand spins in a unit circle, the head makes an ellipse 3x the length of the poi body, and the center of poi body does a linear isolation 2x the length of poi body. This is the one you see in the simulation.

The three kind of cat eye:

-Cateye - Linear Extension - Ellipse
-Cateye - Antispin Ellipse
-Cateye - Trammel

Here are resources for gathering more from:

-Beyond Olive's Hybrid math

7d1509cc-1f2b-4448-b2a5-f1ef100ae18e (Tech Poi Tribe)

-Hybrid moves (page 6,7)

[Old link] (HoP)

-Basic Ellipses (CORRECT LINK!)

3222 (Do more Poi)

-Ellipse Seperations

3219(Do more Poi)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mirror thx mcp.

I have nothing to add.. for now.

thx both A,

:R

EDITED_BY: Richee (1228152856)
EDIT_REASON: recode

POI THEO(R)IST

16.15.8GOLD Member
I can´t think therefore I´m not
291 posts

Posted:
If you take a look on my new video that I upploaded yesterday I do a move where it looks like my poi is bouncing, I call it beatswitch flower cos i don`t know any names but when I read your thred that explain cateye I felt that coult be a cateyetrick? PLease tell me, you are the poitranslator :P

https://youtube.com/watch?v=RTCoX8s96JU

"I don´t like shoes, definitely not spinning with shoes, they make my feet feel flat, my feet are not flat...."

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
sorry, Thomas, I didn't see any one beat anti spin in that video.

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
Why are cat-eyes confined to only 1bt/(several-bt?) antispins? Making an oval shape is possible without antispin.

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
stretchy circles, innit.

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
LTC > Nope, no Cat Eye yet. But, when you combine this:

(image not available)

With this

(image not available)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

You get what I meen.

thx Rovo,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

AlienJonGOLD Member
enthusiast
290 posts

Posted:
THomas:

At 3:28 you do a quick bit of something that seems very similar... it seems like "compressed" antispin, where the petals overlap... so they look like ellipses... but keep changing the direction they are pointing. Also 6:12 is sick, let me just say again.

To reiterate the "unit circle" hybrid idea (Anyone have a better name for the concept than unit circle?):

Also here is a Youtube playlist of Cateyes:

https://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=E8D1F2AD1D642765

I've included the linear iso stuff in there too, since Arashi seemed to count these as well... and they are very much related. All you need to do is change some proportion here or there and you get all of these from the same form.

-Alien Jon

+Alien Jon

TankboySILVER Member
Resident Demolitions Expert
103 posts

Posted:
so we filmed some yesterday, and i think i got some cateye-extention hybrids in the footage, so whenever it gets edited there should be a little visual reference.

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
6:12

I've always called it a Butterfly polyrythm seeing it does a 1:2 or 1:3 or 1:4 ( havn't done 1:4 ) myself.

It relies heavy on position and since it is also doing antisping it is isolation a little bit which, like many other polyrythms also makes it hybridified.

Anyhow.

This part should be in the polyrythm or hybrid thread not in the cat eye so if somebody could move these posts that would be awesome. Unless somebody else disagrees on moving of course which is fine by me.

Just don't want to clutter the thread with two different discussions.

AlienJonGOLD Member
enthusiast
290 posts

Posted:
His antispin hand is tracing the head of his isolated hand... which is sweet. My point to Thomas is that if it WASN'T polyrhythmnic antispin and instead was a 1-beat antispin (Cateye) then it would be a Unit Circle Hybrid: isloation vs cateye... and would also be sweet. In that light I don't think it should be moved, as it points out one of the techniques someone could begin to learn cateyes from, and how to incorporate them in hybrids/ more general composite spinning.

In summation, did I mention that Thomas' video was sick?! biggrin

-Alien Jon

+Alien Jon

AlienJonGOLD Member
enthusiast
290 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Tankboy

so we filmed some yesterday, and i think i got some cateye-extention hybrids in the footage, so whenever it gets edited there should be a little visual reference.

Can't wait to see!

+Alien Jon

16.15.8GOLD Member
I can´t think therefore I´m not
291 posts

Posted:
I find it hilarious to read your posts guys (thats a good thing) cos I don`t understand anything at all of whats written here. I thought I understood but obeviesly not smile

I would be so happy to meet up some of you guys on my trip so you can teach me some poi vocabulary :P

Sorry for writin offtopic guys but I don`t want you to think that im not trying to understand wink

Now ontopic:

The thing im doing at 1:54, if you focus on one of the poi doesnt look like a shape of a cateye?

edit:

AlienJon: at 3:28, sn`t that a hybrid but antispin? Not very well performed but I think the feeling of doing it is the same as a hybrid but antispin. But as I wrote above im not the one to ask what things is called biggrin

//Thomas

"I don´t like shoes, definitely not spinning with shoes, they make my feet feel flat, my feet are not flat...."

AlienJonGOLD Member
enthusiast
290 posts

Posted:
 Written by: like my poi, my heart is on fire

The thing im doing at 1:54, if you focus on one of the poi doesnt look like a shape of a cateye?

1:54 yes! That is an ellipse from linear extension, I totally forgot about that. rolleyes I think part of the confusion is that originally I had posted only the 1-beat antispin flavored and thought of cateye as a name for that specific thing. Then when I spoke with Arashi again at Spherecamp, he informed me that he meant any of several moves when saying "cateye".

An antispin hybrid can contain cateyes of the 1-beat antispin flavor. So that stuff at 3:18 is getting close.

+Alien Jon

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
Altho I think it's kinda charming that you don't know what you do and just do it anyways, and do it awesome =)

But once and if you ever get home to sweden I'm all here for that tech-mumbo jumbo.

Even if I must say, you seem to know any play with the ideas very well in your head, so it really doesn't matter.

I try learn as many concepts as possible just to know what I can play with and mix together to get "new stuff".

arashiPooh-Bah
2,364 posts

Posted:
ooh that animation @1:05 was really cool... now i gotta go try these hybrid thingies smile

-Such a price the gods exact for song: to become what we sing
-Seek freedom and become captive of your desires. Seek discipline and find your liberty.
-When the center of the storm does not move, you are in its path.

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
https://au.youtube.com/watch?v=THWXBf-1CHk

This heres a video I done maked with cateyes and stuff in em... and some flowery things... if you're beginner/intermediate this is a really good way to get started with cateyes... even if you aren't ready for cateyes you should get something useful out of it.

The video does get more complicated as it goes on...starts with some basic stuff. (Though theres nothing uber-advanced in there, sorry to say, just some basic cateye movements.)

hug

AlienJonGOLD Member
enthusiast
290 posts

Posted:
Hey have you tried using the cateye arm-untwist-twist bit to do a cateye weave yet?! It's a bit ridiculous, but worth perusing!

+Alien Jon

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I just tried it, AlienJon, I'm getting one half of the pattern, from the right hand side of my body, to the left, need to work on the other way... its a curious feeling.

Thanks a million for the suggestion!

hug

Geoff_RoseboroughSILVER Member
stranger
14 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Mother_Natures_Sonhttps://au.youtube.com/watch?v=THWXBf-1CHk

This heres a video I done maked with cateyes and stuff in em... and some flowery things... if you're beginner/intermediate this is a really good way to get started with cateyes... even if you aren't ready for cateyes you should get something useful out of it.

The video does get more complicated as it goes on...starts with some basic stuff. (Though theres nothing uber-advanced in there, sorry to say, just some basic cateye movements.)

Awesome. This video is going to be amazingly useful for what I'm working on now. It's just too bad I'm in an Anthropology class (obviously not paying attention) as of now rather than out spinning.
thanks for sharing smile

cateye's have become one of my favorite things to play around with. And there's a diagram I saw Noel hold up in a video once. Had a square with several rows of unit circles on the inside and a few outside. It's been really useful to keep that image in my mind when playing.

#t=3m22s