Forums > Social Discussion > Got a light? - firespinners courtesy?

Login/Join to Participate

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Same story, from a different angle.

There I am sitting on the beach, just after new years. Fellow firespinner whines about how much he would love to light up his set of brand new poi... so I donate my last kero. He thoroughly takes a dip and then comes the usual:

"You got a light?"

"Well you're lucky, in fact I do." (maybe it's because I wasn't spinning that night)

So he walks over and holds his poi up - for me to light them.

Same story, the friggin stinky stuff pours down over my lighter, hand - on my shoes and pants (Indian kerosene is the grossest stuff I ever spun with, only outperformed by Diesel - in fact it's India where I minimize casual firespinning to a minimum due to that)....

The lighter clogged with kerosene refuses to light again.

"Sorry for that."

"No worries mate, just my own fault." (sigh)

mad2

This been the last time I did it this way round. Next time I'll hold on the dribbly poi...

But I admit, it's "fun" to watch them guys trying to help and getting soaked their lighters and clothes in smelly oil whilst I (stroking my ego with the "five minutes of fame" casual spin on the beach) can move on to the next fool if their effort is not succeeding... wink

meditate

wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
Wow. that sucks man. Personally i wouldn't bring a flame near someone's dripping toy. Do people normally spin off at all? But ya just avoid it and tell em to spin those suckers off smile

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

fake teeth and glueBRONZE Member
Checking who's online, watching you!
1,972 posts

Posted:
so...

"you got a light? i want to set my balls on fire and swing them around"

""sure but i gotta grab them first so they don't drip all over my lighter...ok?""

the only thing that happens to me is when you let someone else dip you staff and they hold it vertically so parafin drips all down the staff, nice.

you just lost the game!!!!!! !!!!!

knowledge is power, power corupts, study hard, become evil.

Kathain_BowenGood Ol' Yarn For Hair
422 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Poje

Wow. that sucks man. Personally i wouldn't bring a flame near someone's dripping toy. Do people normally spin off at all?

.... Poje has got a good point. I would think spinning or shaking off would be a matter of standard practice as opposed to common courtesy.

frown

"So long and thanks for all the fish."

burningoftheclaveySILVER Member
lurking like a ninja with no camouflage..
926 posts

Posted:
*tut tut* did he do a big burnoff to make up for it? biggrin

on spam robots - "Burn the robot! Melt him down, and then we can make lots and lots of money from his shiiiny juices!"

Owned by Brenn smile

422 posts

Posted:
.... I would think spinning or shaking off would be less of a matter of common courtesy and more of a matter of standard practice.... but that could just be me and the way I was taught.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I'm agreeing with the whole, "it's standard practice to spin off". Anyone remotely dripping not only shouldn't get a light but should be handed a spin bucket.

I'm failing to see any humor in putting someone else through it, as well.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
... umm

You've spun with Disel?

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Not having a lighter is standard practice for firespinners wink

So are spin off jars for poi, or at least spinning off the excess fuel somewhere with miminal environmental impacts.

SO why you light something drippy?

Indian kero I remember from using it in stoves. Not as bad as the 'red kero' shite at the Irish EJC though. THAT was rough.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
 Written by: newgabe

Not having a lighter is standard practice for firespinners wink

ubblol So true.

*throws his two cents in*

One thing I can't stand is when people help themselves to other peoples toys without asking. There are exceptions when they're people you've known for years and are adept fire spinners themselves, but when a random person without asking takes your staff (and I don't mean just lying there on the grass, I mean OUT OF YOUR SEALED BAG) and deftly hands it to a complete beginner who attempts fingerspins for the first time and does about 8 throws (and drops every single one of them), frays the ends and hands it back to you... pisses me off mightily mad2

If you're learning stuff, do it with your own toys. If you don't have your own toys, ask those that do first.

Done smile

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Yeah hug thanks for the compassion, guys...

Really I consider this my own fault, shuold have matured in firespinning enough to foresee this coming...

One point being that they weren't really dribbling at the time he held them up, but the Kero seem to have gotten attracted by the heat from the lighter and the more I put it to his virgin Poi, the more they started dribbling.

Point being (thanks for the spank ) is that my spinoff (plastic) bottle got trashed by people mistaking it for a dipping container and put their sizzling toys inside, melting it. I had too little patience to build another one..

What you think?

My new years resolutions (re firespinning):

- make and carry spin off can at all times
- carry ones own lighter
- keep firetoys frequently checked and repaired, i.e. in good condition
- when on venues of whatever kind, check whether their spinners get paid and non-intrusively ask them whether they are really comfortable with me joining them (as not to build up competition)

- scout alternatives for Indian kero
- understand that beyond being fellow firespinners they are all (just) humans like me, therefore not assuming they have profound knowledge or awareness of what they actually are doing....

wink

no blame, no pun, no judgement smile

Yes I spun Diesel and once even thinner, even though this only for a mere 42 seconds... eek

422 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Brenn

One thing I can't stand is when people help themselves to other peoples toys without asking. There are exceptions when they're people you've known for years and are adept fire spinners themselves, but when a random person without asking takes your staff (and I don't mean just lying there on the grass, I mean OUT OF YOUR SEALED BAG) and deftly hands it to a complete beginner who attempts fingerspins for the first time and does about 8 throws (and drops every single one of them), frays the ends and hands it back to you... pisses me off mightily mad2

If you're learning stuff, do it with your own toys. If you don't have your own toys, ask those that do first.

Done smile

... I feel your pain, as do my formerly pristine acrylic spheres.

burningoftheclaveySILVER Member
lurking like a ninja with no camouflage..
926 posts

Posted:
i hate it when people borrow my glow toys and dont switch them off when theyre done, and leave them lying using up battery. *shakes fist*

on spam robots - "Burn the robot! Melt him down, and then we can make lots and lots of money from his shiiiny juices!"

Owned by Brenn smile

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Kathain_Bowen

Written by: Brenn

Done smile

... I feel your pain, as do my formerly pristine acrylic spheres.

kathain - Ouch that sucks.

Brenn - Totally. For the most part i dont care if someone picks up my staff and spins it, and they can drop it all they want (hell, i know i did smile) but as soon as i see them drop it and it doesnt have the wick covers on, i go right over there and throw them on and hand it back. Now, if only there was a quick fix for grip that is contantly dropped in the dirt.

Tom - What that sounds like to me is the guy kinda spun them off but all the gas that was in the top of the wick, near the chain, and gravity just brought it down and started dripping it. Ive seen my staff do that, I'll spin off fairly thoughouly (got leave some for the burn off) but if hold it verticle, after maybe 10 seconds it will start dripping.

Another way to avoid this entirly is to invest in a little oil lamp. Carry it with you when your going to a jam or whatever and use that as the community flame.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

brittleGOLD Member
131 posts

Posted:
ive always found that using a turbo lighter is always handy that way you can light it from the sides, bottom, top or which ever way that you fancy
spesh comes in handy in the winter months

also feel good to have a flame that looks like a bunsen with ya =D

What to do in case of fire??? LET IT BURN!

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
i prefer to stick with the ol' trusty zippo

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
 Written by:

Point being (thanks for the ) is that my spinoff (plastic) bottle got trashed by people mistaking it for a dipping container and put their sizzling toys inside, melting it. I had too little patience to build another one..

For some reason putting fuel in plastic containers has always freaked me out even if it is only a little bit like in a spin off container. So to get around the problem I made some spin off tins out of old fruit tins, all you have to do is punch a hole either side of the top and put a piece of sturdy wire as a short handle. Oh just make sure you get rid of any barbs left from when you used a can opener on the tin.
EDITED_BY: DarcyFox (1199751556)

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

422 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Poje

kathain - Ouch that sucks.

S'ok. I just stopped carrying around good spheres unless I knew I could keep an eye on them. But, on the plus side, I have a fabulous set of practice spheres!

I'm more concerned some foolhardy friends "liberating" fuel on an impending camping/fire trip. Silly Darwin Award candidates. ubbrollsmile

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
just my 2c -

If you don't happen to have a spin off jar (like 99.9% of the fire spins I've been at) then there's plenty of ways to get rid of excess fuel (while lit or unlit) that are much better than spinning off and spraying it over a massive area.
EDITED_BY: simian (1199799028)

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
 Written by: simian

then there's plenty of ways to get rid of excess fuel (while lit or unlit) that are much better than spinning off and spraying it over a massive area.

which are?

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
ubblol yepp please share the secret Simian smile

Darcy Fox, why "For (which) reason putting fuel in plastic containers has always freaked (you) out even if it is only a little bit like in a spin off container"? confused

Taking other ppls toys w/o asking is one censored thing, treating them badly, even breaking them w/o saying a single word is mad2 *joins fist shaking*

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
I understand...fire and plastic doesn't mix. (I know not lit but still) plus plastics can break down because of fuels...

I never liked the idea of plastic containers either-except for the necessary gas container when you run out of gas. But those are heavy duty plastics

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Not trying to make excuses for the guy in the OP, but this was India, and if the spinner learned these arts in Thailand, where nobody spins off due to the fuel holding capabilities of those white wicks, that could have been the problem.

I learned on those white wicks and got quite a shock when I switched to Kevlar wicks. Suddenly, there's fuel flying everywhere and I had to give way more attention to spinning off than I had before.

I second the idea of a small lamp for people to light off. Not only is it not the brightest idea to have a lighter in your pocket while spinning ( that could just be me being anal though ) it also stops those annoying "got a light?" requests when your in the middle of your burn.

Swinging pendulums is a good way to use up the excess fuel on poi that haven't been properly spun off. and sometimes I don't spin off at all so I'm "forced" to play with pendula a little longer as well as increasing the length of my burn time.

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
Yup what Faithinfire said is the reason it weirds me out, different types of fules can "melt" away or degrade plastic over time.

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
smile Thanks for the input guys.

No lighter in the pocket? Is it not a safety-freak issue to suspect your pants starting to burn in such manner that subsequently a lighter will explode and tear off your leg? rolleyes wink

Hardly anyone spins off in Thailand or India - it's just a sad fact. Besides that you're right and apart from staff, different sets of poi, a sword, fans and nun-chaks I will make myself and shall further always carry a stainless steel spin off can such as to ensure that neither kerosene will be spilled on the beach AND no plastic shalt be involved in the process at any given time.

Now where can I get the urgently needed filters to minimize my contribution to global warming?

Alternatively I will accept any reinstatement of myself to "beginner-status" so I don't have to worry about all these issues and happily spray kerosene over fellow spinners, the audience and the environment, never carry a lighter and boldly interfere with others celestial fire-performances just because I need my own toys lit...

wink

clarence_quackSILVER Member
QuackerJack
1,927 posts

Posted:
 Written by: FireTom

Alternatively I will accept any reinstatement of myself to "beginner-status" so I don't have to worry about all these issues and happily spray kerosene over fellow spinners, the audience and the environment, never carry a lighter and boldly interfere with others celestial fire-performances just because I need my own toys lit...

wink

Amen brother! wink wink ubblol

Nutella Brigade Unite!

"Look! I have a rainbow penis!" - Rouge

Owned By Steaks