Forums > Social Discussion > USA Presidential Election Coverage 08!

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
Primaries are on! Winner will be the representative of their party in the national presidential elections this fall.

Obama takes Iowa for the Democrats!

Huckabee takes Iowa for the Republicans!

Good independent site to browse that covers their issues:

https://www.issues2000.org/Barack_Obama.htm

https://www.issues2000.org/Mike_Huckabee.htm

https://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/primaries/results/state/#IA

GWARRRRRRRRRRRR!

4 days until New Hampshire vote for democrats! and 3 days for Wyoming's republican vote-

Discuss. biggrin

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
Thompson bounceThompson bounceThompson bounceThompson bounceThompson bounceThompson

I don't like Huckabee, and I don't know that Obama has the experience.
EDITED_BY: faithinfire (1199481613)

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Obama is mine. Like his platform. Like his ideals. Is well spoken, well presented and is well experienced in management.

Guiliani has this way of being behind and then sneaking in for a victory.

And Huckabee??? Oi gods! He gets the extreme conservative and extreme religious votes. The thought of a Bush III makes me ill.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

PinkNigelPinker than thou
336 posts

Posted:
Yea yea, like middle America isn't just going to vote the white man in regardless of party... Call me cynical, but I reckon this one's already over.

A wise man once said: "You have two ears and one mouth, therefore you should shut the censored up and listen" (though, to be fair, he might not've put it _quite_ like that..)

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Is it right that one side of America decides the vote. With the time difference and non compulsory voting I had heard that the earlier side has a huge influence on voting as a whole.
Is that urban mythage?

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Hmm. I'm a little concerned about Huckabee...

I'm fine with Obama. Would love an Obama/Clinton ticket, though.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Doc, I agree with the ticket but think it is pressing the idealistic side a bit much.
I think it will have to be one or the other before we can have both.

And Huckabee. Ima whole lotta concerned about Huckabee.

PinkNigel, Iowa is concidered the midwest and they voted Obama, which should tip that register in the following states.

Gnor, I am very confused as to what you are asking about but I'll try to explain from what I can decipher.

Right now these are the caucus votes. As such, each of the state parties goes independently (since this is not a citizen based vote) so time and sides of the country have little influence.

In a Presidential election, time still plays little roll. There is only a 3 hour difference in the continental states and polls open wickedly early (to catch pre-work commuters). There is a huge overlap of voting times all day long. And while the news does broadcast the wins in a state to state manner, a 3 hour turnout at the end of the day wouldn't represent enough people to actually be swayed in their voting decisions. While the east coast does, in fact, have a denser population than middle america, so it does sometimes seem to come across as under-represented but when you look at ratios, it's really not (that gets into the whole electoral college thing, which I'll not get into since it is something I abhor). Despite the population on the east coast, the south and the west tend to be similar to the east, so again, there is no slant really there.

However, right now, in the caucus, it's like a domino state to state. States that go first, no matter where their geological location will have an influence (which is not conducted in an east to west fashion, or even on the same day, but is scattered throughout the country and the calendar). The later in the caucus a state is, the more likely they are to go along with the other states instead of swimming against the popular current. (that last bit is not a proven thing, but more my opinion based on observation and other news articles to the same effect).

Hopes this makes it clearer than mud wink

(Oh, and for those who do not know, a Caucus is when the representatives of a political party come together to vote on a delegate, register candidate preference, and/or decide on policy/law changes. This one is for the parties of each state to register their presidental candidate preference.)

Pele

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
1,584 posts

Posted:
Whoops, Wyoming's republican vote was today and they declared Romney by a huge margin... interesting.

And considering Bush was an "experienced" governor of Texas, give me something different please - I'd rather have the politics of hope over the usual cross-party bashing :]

Then again I'm being a bit idealistic. Maybe someday this will be considered one of the great American speeches:

https://www.americanrhetoric.com/speeches/convention2004/barackobama2004dnc.htm

Of course I'd love to see crazy old Ron Paul on the ticket for the republicans though. Libertarian pride biggrin

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

3,556 posts

Posted:
I like that Huckabee is considered economically liberal and socially conservative but I don't think he has the right finesse

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Oh, great, someone who wants to control my money AND my personal life.

Americans have sacrificed too much freedom. We've gone from the "Land of the Free" to the "Land of the Terrorized." Third-world countries that we used to lambast as bastions of civil rights violations now have better civil rights track records than we do. Human Rights Watch and the IRC have been filing complaints about all sorts of U.S. rights abuses, ranging from voting issues to illegal detainment and torture.

Apparently "Conservative" now means fascist. What happened to *REAL* Conservatism where the government was supposed to but the heck OUT of peoples' lives?

-Mike

3,556 posts

Posted:
excuse me?

Faith

_VT_SILVER Member
Your Face!
1,173 posts

Posted:
I don't like Clinton,Giuliani,Huckabee,or Obama.

I'm going with Ron Paul.

Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism - how passionately I hate them!
-Albert Einstein-

Peanut butter... It fills the cracks of the soul! -Paul Blart-

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Hey Doc, I agree with all of what you are saying, completely.

However, I would like to add that for Human Rights to politically be effective then "the powers that shouldn't be" first need to recognize us as humans and not simply mindless meat puppets who don't know what to think or feel.
Someday they may shut up long enough to hear the voices outside of their (collective party) heads, but I don't think we'll see it.
And until then what you and I view a basic human rights and the ideals of conservativism will be completely ignored for a more fascist political stance.

Pele

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
1,584 posts

Posted:
McCain already projected to win Republican primary in New Hampshire

Clinton leading Obama by 4% in Democrats smile

Ron Paul is tied with Rudy. hahaha

Kael Edit: And it's very true that the Republican party (*cough American politics) of today is a sad state - Lincoln is probably spinning in his grave.

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

3,556 posts

Posted:
I'm not facist

The same can be said for the Dem party. Their stances evolve through time.

Hillary won BTW

Faith

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Here's my issue with Hillary:

Back in '02 or '03 she supported the Iraq war. When it turned out that no WMD's were located she said that she had been misled by false intelligence.

Now, I was 23 or 24 at the time, a medical student, not heavily into politics, and I knew that the whole thing was a load of bulldroppings. So how did a U.S. Senator get duped?

Sorry, Hill. I just don't buy it. When you learn to stand up and say "I was wrong" then you will stop sounding like the Shrub and you'll have my full respect.

-Mike

Lau_Shadow_BoxerSILVER Member
~ Cup Cakes and Faerie Lights ~
110 posts
Location: Portsmouth, Uk / Kowloon, Hong Kong / Auckland, Ne...

Posted:
I think Hillary takes the same stance on things as her husband did, this involves being unclear on where u stand on controversial issues - so you can't be picked on or cornered by either side. This I don't agree with, because you dont know what your voting for.

"They say it takes more muscles to frown than it does to smile; thus smiling is for pansies" - The Short Gorilla

"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Ace Rimmer

3,556 posts

Posted:
Perhaps the intelligence reports were more convincing.

Faith

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
1,584 posts

Posted:
Thompson's out! Guiliani's screwed! And obamaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa takes SC!

mwahahahahaha

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: KaelGotRice

Thompson's out! Guiliani's screwed! And obamaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa takes SC!

mwahahahahaha

I was so happy 'bout that!

Yeah baby!

*watch me dance, that's it, slap that pony papi*

Pele

3,556 posts

Posted:
*sigh*

Faith

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
1,584 posts

Posted:
Well, McCain it is for Republicans then...

Hillary inching out Obama...

Now why would the democrats elect the one more likely to drive away independents? frown

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
1,965 posts

Posted:
We are being bombarded all the presidential mad2 over here in NZ.

It seems to me that the real race isn't between Republican and Democrat. It's between Hillary and Obama.

Or to be blunt American politics is probably going to be fashionable i.e. a woman or a black man. Either way I don't think that the republicans stand a chance.

While I know that I might sound a bit cincal it's because I'm not an American and my views and opinions my be different from your own. smile

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil

HypnoticGOLD Member
44 posts

Posted:
I used to like Huckabee till he said he wanted to change the constitution because it was easier to do that than the bible. I think that Fundamentalism Gov is bad. Obama is my guy cuz I like vision over shady political exp. Its all about nabbing votes. People can say what ever they want wether they mean it or not. yes I think the democrats are going to win

3,556 posts

Posted:
Well, I don't want the democrats to win and I don't think that McCain is really all that different than the dems but I do think they will win whoever they put up there unless the nominee does something really stupid

Faith

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I would *love* for Huckabee to be the Republican nominee.

Because then there'd be NO WAY ON EARTH...

for those of you who are parroting "Democrats are the same as Republicans!" I will remind you that people said that during Bush v. Gore. I think we've adequately disproved that stance.

-Mike

screechcircling on the edge of madness
889 posts

Posted:
 Written by: DarkFyre

It seems to me that the real race isn't between Republican and Democrat. It's between Hillary and Obama.

Or to be blunt American politics is probably going to be fashionable i.e. a woman or a black man. Either way I don't think that the republicans stand a chance.

While I know that I might sound a bit cincal it's because I'm not an American and my views and opinions my be different from your own. smile

it is Cynical however probably true we get regular updates over in UK too and all they really seem to want to report is clinton and obama and its probably time a woman or a black man got the job they couldn't be worse than bush, could they?. To be perfectly honest i don't really care who finally wins just as long as they're more intelligent than the mindless buffoon thats currently in charge. it doesn't look too bright over here at the mo either i'm really not looking forward to our next election.

finland finland finland
the country where i want to be
pony trekking or camping
or just watching tv

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
I don’t really follow American politics, but it was refreshing to hear that not all American politicians are brain dead.

Just when you think the possibility of any real leadership in the world has become as extinct as the dodo, someone steps up and tells it as it really is. Of course, I’m referring to Barack Obama’s so called ‘religion and guns are the opiate of the American masses”, faux pas.

Barack said: “You go into these small towns in Pennsylvania and, like a lot of small towns in the Midwest, the jobs have been gone now for 25 years and nothing’s replaced them. And it’s not surprising, then, they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren’t like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations.”

Mrs Clinton seized on the comments. “The people of faith I know don’t ‘cling’ to religion because they’re bitter,” she said. “People embrace faith not because they are materially poor but because they are spiritually rich. People don’t need a president who looks down on them. They need a president who stands up for them.”

Yeah right, where is that going to take you?

"In a clear attempt to further appeal to working class voters, Mrs Clinton downed a beer and a shot of whiskey yesterday at a campaign stop in Indiana.

Unfortunately the “guns and religion” controversy goes to the heart of that argument, because it will inevitably be used by Republicans to portray Mr Obama as an effete liberal who does not understand real people."

But hey, a big one on guts. After all the crap of Bush and the Iraq war etc, it’s refreshing to see a real leader emerge as candidate for the President of the USA.

I can see why the Kennedy’s backed him.

GO! Barack!

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
A-feakin-Men Stone.

Seriously.

I was shocked when recently in england to see how Hillary was painted as this sweet woman being picked on.
confused

She is one of the most confused and incompetant politicians in the race.

I admire honesty and agree that Obama's "faux pas" was literally hitting the nail on the head. It was wonderfully refreshing and seriously, about damn time someone called it out.

Thing is, it wasn't insulting at all how he said it. Media and Hill have spun it as such to make it so much worse than it came across to anyone else. She's so clinging to her ledge.

Pele

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Pele

I was shocked when recently in england to see how Hillary was painted as this sweet woman being picked on.
confused

er. which newspapers were you reading to get this view? most of the coverage in the UK is pro-obama, and portrays hillary as a schemer with a party machine on her side...

and most UK folks i've been chatting to are in agreement that Obama was just telling it like it is tongue

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Pele

She is one of the most confused and incompetant politicians in the race.

dont really think shes confused, think she knows exactly what she is doing and will probably end up winning

shes just trying to play herself as "everywomen"

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

Page: ...