Forums > Social Discussion > USA Presidential Election Coverage 08!

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
Primaries are on! Winner will be the representative of their party in the national presidential elections this fall.

Obama takes Iowa for the Democrats!

Huckabee takes Iowa for the Republicans!

Good independent site to browse that covers their issues:

https://www.issues2000.org/Barack_Obama.htm

https://www.issues2000.org/Mike_Huckabee.htm

https://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/primaries/results/state/#IA

GWARRRRRRRRRRRR!

4 days until New Hampshire vote for democrats! and 3 days for Wyoming's republican vote-

Discuss. biggrin

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Mascot

Right listen up y'all it's get a sense of perspective time.

victims of 9/11 <3,000
road deaths that year > 42,000
homicides (1997) 18,000

Lurch I reckon you know this way of argumentation wink

More Americans get killed in gun accidents a year than those that got killed on 9/11.... does it mean that the US is going on a crusade against gun manufacturers? umm

9/11 served as a (welcomed) reason to the US government (no conspiracy theory included) to declare a war that cannot be won against an enemy that cannot be named or located. The war on terrorism is 'endless' and Mc Cain is the only one realistic in this one. I wonder what the American public thinks about it - we'll find out.

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
Sounds like we need to go after those terrorist cars and swimming pools first

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Why cars and pools first?

Why not a integrated approach?

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
 Written by :FireTom

9/11 served as a (welcomed) reason to the US government (no conspiracy theory included) to declare a war that cannot be won against an enemy that cannot be named or located. The war on terrorism is 'endless' and Mc Cain is the only one realistic in this one. I wonder what the American public thinks about it - we'll find out.

My favorite rant: wars on nouns.

war on poverty
war on drugs
war on terror
war on cancer
war on illiteracy

Tell me, how will we know when the war is over? Is it possible to lose such a war? Is it possible to win such a war?

But you know how Americans are. We love our wars. Ever since WWI and WWII, we just love our wars. We seem to think they solve everything.

So just declare war on an intangible and amorphous concept and then justify atrocity you commit as "this is war!"

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Mascotenthusiast
301 posts

Posted:
“The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed—and thus clamorous to be led to safety—by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.”
—H. L. Mencken

Walls may have ears but they don't have eyes

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
I'm not arguing that he did a "good" job, but I think he did a lot better than the alternatives would have. Why is this so hard to understand?

And if we have to stop believing our propaganda, what about you guys?

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

Mascotenthusiast
301 posts

Posted:
Faith my dear

You are not arguing at all. All you have done is state that you think he did better than the alternatives would have done. How ever many times you state this it does not make it an argument.

We find it hard to understand because you seem unwilling or unable to offer any sort of justification for the opinion you have reached.

Walls may have ears but they don't have eyes

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Doc Lightning

My favorite rant: wars on nouns.

war on poverty
war on drugs
war on terror
war on cancer
war on illiteracy

Tell me, how will we know when the war is over? Is it possible to lose such a war? Is it possible to win such a war?

But you know how Americans are. We love our wars. Ever since WWI and WWII, we just love our wars. We seem to think they solve everything.

Well how about

war on stupidity
war on greed

I reckon we'll definitely notice when these are won... smile

3,556 posts

Posted:
Exactly, Mascot. I'm not arguing that he is doing a good job, but from the platforms and looking at their pasts, I think Bush screwed it up less than his former opponents would have

I'm not trying to make an argument.

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
I think Mother Teresa said it best:

“I was once asked why I don't participate in anti-war demonstrations. I said that I will never do that, but as soon as you have a pro-peace rally, I'll be there.” Mother Teresa

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
"I think Bush screwed it up less than his former opponents would have"

Faith, I guess we'll never find out definitely but I reckon that the amount of people who can actually compete with his level of moronicy is very small and most of them are not engaged in politics.

Only recently he made a very smart and sensitive comment about India (and countries like India) and it's responsibility for the world shortage of food... You just gotta laugh.

3,556 posts

Posted:
He did not make that comment. Condi Rice did. :P

Oh, I think there are plenty of people in politics and in power now who rival his so called moronicy

Faith

3,556 posts

Posted:
Heehe...did anyone here Obama say that he had visited 57 states

Faith

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Well, Obama/Clinton it would appear to be...

not official yet.

-Mike

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
1,584 posts

Posted:
OBAMA CLINCHED IT.

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGGMOGOMMGOMOGMOGGM

Clinton is trying to stay in there to clinch the vice-presidency. harharhar.

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
*shakes my groove thing, shake my groove thing, yeah, yeah*

We're ganna have a red/white/blue bbq cause we're happy here.

'Bout time this got tied up. It was so drawn out.

Now, my friend sent me this. *If* Obama gets the presidency, we all know he has *a lot* of clean up work to do.

"The buzzword of this election is "Change". Candidates toss it around without saying what they want to change to.

Years ago, there was an old tale in the Marine Corps about a lieutenant who inspected his Marines and told the "Gunny" that the men smelled bad.

The lieutenant suggested that they change their underwear.

The "Gunny" responded, "Aye, Aye, Sir. I'll see to it immediately." He went into the tent and said, "The lieutenant thinks you guys smell bad, and he wants you to change your underwear. Smith, you change with Jones, McCarthy, you change with Witkowskie, Brown, you change with Schultz..... Change, now, get on with it!"

The moral of the story:

A candidate may promise change in Washington, but the stink will remain."

Just thought you'd find it amusing.
I do.
I have faith (not fif wink ) that Obama can do a bang up job, but it will take a long time and alot of work for change to truly happen, and I wonder how many people realize it vs thinking that as soon as he steps into the white house some magical spell will be cast and all will be right in the world.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
Woop woop, Obama FTW smile

3,556 posts

Posted:
Hmmm maybe I will move to Canada

Faith

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
1,584 posts

Posted:
 Written by :faithinfire

Hmmm maybe I will move to Canada

What do you have against Change and Hope? wink

(Or a black man? *snarksnark* eek)

ubblol

All snarkiness aside, that's how I felt when George W. was elected last cycle. Totally saw this coming. Didn't see how the other half of the country didn't.

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

3,556 posts

Posted:
I think he has great PR people and nothing else

Faith

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
1,584 posts

Posted:
that's your opinion. I think you're underestimating the fact that a junior Senator to took on Hillary Clinton and won. He survived media attacks at his faith and family and patriotism. And he survived lies people spread about his Christian history/religion(he is not muslim), that a black man isn't ready for office, and history serving in Chicago. Obama must have some sort of skill. wink

At this moment, I'm looking for someone to not screw us any further in the middle east and increase our billions in debt to China. As well as promote education, healthcare, and smart spending by Americans to release our dependence on foreign oil - and thus - stop supporting states where terrorism is rampant. *cough Saudi Arabia* Thanks Bush for never invading the country where most of the 9/11 hijackers came from.

also - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_funds_rate

Written by

June 29, 2006-(Mar. 18 2008): 5.25-2.25 rate drop chart

The Fed can't drop much more before we're all rock bottom.

Whoever takes office next has a lot to fix. But one thing's for sure, the Democratic primary was a historic one.

Props to Obama and Hillary both.

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Thanks Kael. You summed up perfectly exactly what I was thinking.

PR will only get a candidate to the point where he's a household name, their words and actions get them the rest of the way.
They all had PR machines turning and churning.
They defined themselves with how they dealt with the bumps and the controversies along the way.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
So Colon Powell has endorsed Obama.

THIS is interesting.

-Mike

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
very much so, i liked how he said basically the country needs a new direction in Obama and that Palin is no where near ready to lead should it be necessary.

a very high figure stating widely held opinions is a bit of an anomoly.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

MRCSILVER Member
Funky Blessings Daily
215 posts

Posted:
I worry that when this is all over, it wont be enough.

I think the best Obama can do is help to restore the USA's relations with other countries. Considering the presidency is essentially just a military position there isn't much a president can do to change the country. Though apparently with all the frivolous departments the executive branch has, they seem welcome to take a lot of our tax money.

I don't have a senate vote this year but I do have a congressman. I'm voting for a libertarian in that. I think people should pay a lot of attention to their senators or congressman up for election, they do more for this country than the president, and are the real people responsible.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: MRCI worry that when this is all over, it wont be enough.

Me too. I think that the U.S. is doomed to fall. But Obama is my best hope that maybe we can save the country.

-Mike

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
but what do you mean by "save the country"? prop it up for a few more decades before it falls even harder?

i think the west is doomed to fail, there is way too much waste of resources in an unsustainible manner. people see the problems and talk about solutions, but it never seems to go further.

people dont want to hear that they cant live their lives like this.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Want to know what's happening?

Check out this Interactive Election Map

Go Obama smile

Fruitbasket#1 Bender Fan :D
133 posts

Posted:
Lets go Karl Marx!

haha thanks for that map. Even thou its a little slower then my T.V
On the T.V Obama has around 200 votes.

ANGER IS A GIFT.You have the right to demand better!

Originally Posted By: Mr Majestikhear the news about the guy in adelaide on the weekend who walked stilts 20m high? broke the world record by taking four steps.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
yay for 4 years of democrats in powah!!!

Non-Https Image Link

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Page: