Forums > Videos > My doubles routine practice video (fire video added 26.4.08)

Login/Join to Participate

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
I started working on this routine recently, It's good so far, I'd like some tips for improving it smile

enjoy and comment:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ZKMHMUUMvS4

EDITED_BY: Poiboy (1209210949)

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
First off, nice spinning smile

Personally, i'd look at putting some pauses/stops in, just to break it a up a bit. It gives your audiance time to appreciate what you've just done, and look forward to what you're going to do next. 3-5 minutes of continuous action can be tiring to watch and will tend to blur all into one. Some short pauses/poses/freezes offer a nice break, gives people time to clap and blink, and (most importantly for you) gives you spaces to catch up with yourself. If the whole thing is choreographed to the tune, and you drop a staff, having those pauses gives you a place to catch up with yourself without having to rush anything.

You moved around quite a bit which was nice, but I'd work on making your movements more definite/tight. Don't just turn or walk, make it more of a movement.

But yeah, get a costume and finish it off - i look forward to seeing the final product biggrin

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
If it's going to be a fire routine, then I think you should start more slowly in the beginning. And then use a speed change timed to the music to make it more visually appealing. And use speed changes through out the routine.

There's no height difference in the routine. Try thinking about some very definate postures that you want to use during the routine. Stand with your legs apart / together is only two. And both are very high. Try to use more level changes. It makes it nicer to watch.

Also, most of the time you're looking at the staffs, try doing the whole routine looking at the camera. Then see where you can best use your gaze to show the audience where they should be looking. It's not just your gaze, but your entire head can contribute a lot to how interesting your routine is.

Nice bit of anti-spin inside plane shenanigan in there... biggrin

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Lau_Shadow_BoxerSILVER Member
~ Cup Cakes and Faerie Lights ~
110 posts
Location: Portsmouth, Uk / Kowloon, Hong Kong / Auckland, Ne...

Posted:
WoW! As sombody still struggling with some of the basic single staff moves, I can really fault you on that performance dude.. nor would I want to. That routine is very impressive, and I'll be looking foreward to seeing the final version. But I do agree that adding in some pauses, stalls or breaks would make it a little easier to watch.

But all-in-all, that was one of the best doubles routines I've seen in a while clap clap

"They say it takes more muscles to frown than it does to smile; thus smiling is for pansies" - The Short Gorilla

"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast" - Ace Rimmer

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
I've got the whole thing written down now, put some stops in, now i just need to find what body movements go best with each move/sequence.
the fire version of this might be my COL entry for this year, unless elhanan will have some free time and we decide to make a video together again.

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
very nice smile

only constructive criticism has to be, I know your concentrating on timing now, but as soon as you can, work on smiling all the time and being more relaxed through it, you can't just leave that to the last minute, as you will end up slipping back into however you normally practice when your performing/shooting vid smile

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

Kooothormember
129 posts

Posted:
This isn't a routine, a routine is clean, this is a "work-in-progress-routine".

But nice anyway smile

Kooothor , French Crew
~~~~
i'm in your kitchen, drinkin' your milk

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
I filmed another practice video, looks much better now. again, criticism will be appreciated

2nd routine practice video

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
VERY VERY Nice dude clap clap clap

You have practiced shitloads! (I suppose it being an actual routine gives you an incentive to do so!)

One thing I will say is to cut down on that move (I dunno what it's called) but first seen at 00.05 but is repeated throughout the routine and seems out of place with the complexity of the subsequent moves.

One idea (if you have time) is to maybe work on something similar but extending it using an grid pattern - 4x4 perhaps (or more) instead of the standard 2x2 quadrant/cross. If that makes any sense? If not I'll draw you a diagram!
tongue

Otherwise, it's fantastic! Well done! hug

(I'm so out of practice!)

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
yeah that routine-in-progress rocks! nice work dude. as MCP points out; levels (height) could be worked more, and attention / gaze could be more expressively / consistently used.

Great job! smile

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

kevstaffjourneyman
51 posts

Posted:
I like it, good ideas and good level. But I don't really like the way you move... I don't know exactly in what way.. I think you move too much!^^
And also, your "one beat" moves aren't clean.

But good work!

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
second video is much better, but think about what your stage is, and where your audience is. And then move around certain positions. Like check jugglingdb for an article by steven ragatz on 'blocking' (making a routine)

and watch this video https://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=KZTYRTaX0_0 and be more like that guy.
EDITED_BY: mcp (1202304734)

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
403 forbidden, mop.

criticism first:

i'd agree with meg, and a bit with kev - think about where everything is, and don't move just for the sake of moving - almost as cardinal a sin as staying still because you don't know how to move.

also the build through the routine is a little odd - it's not an obvious song to use for an international audience, as it doesn't have all the breaks, mood changes, tempo changes that you are usually looking fo in a performance song. this means that your moves are of a similar tempo throughout the piece, and the ending is not clear.

[/end crit]

great skills, and some lovely transitions that i can't wait to get out and practise. tidy it up a bit, and it'll be really, really great, and i might even book you wink

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
whoops, that was a work link... fixed.

kevstaffjourneyman
51 posts

Posted:
just watched it more carefully, and with sound this time (I was at work this morning)..

I don't like the music! And I don't think your stuff goes with it. And stop moving around like this! But I highly encourage you to continue, we lack people working on technical routines!

good luck! let us know when you have some new stuffs!

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
 Written by: bluecat

great skills, and some lovely transitions that i can't wait to get out and practise

ditto... while I'd agree with most all of the criticism of the aesthetic qualities of your routine (dance/movement/music), it's a kick-ar$e tech display; chock full of all sorts of antispin/isolation goodness that all flows as well as pretty much anything I've seen.

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
Doubles Routine at the IJC2008 fire show

enjoy and comment smile