Forums > Help! > Audio editing software - erasing vocals

Login/Join to Participate

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
Hey everyone, was wondering if anyone knows of any good programs that can completely erase the vocals of a song? I need to have backing music for a singing performance I'm doing in a few weeks time.

I am also running out of room on this computer so the program can't be too big....unless someone wants to volunteer for me? ubblove

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
essentially, its near impossible to completely erase vocals, if it's possible at all..

however, vocals can be turned down using an EQ (possibly several repeated EQ's).. these can be found in most audio editing programs.. im not sure of the names of any small sized ones, but searching www.download.com may help smile

best of luck steph hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
Google is wonderful

Try that smile

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

FearpigSILVER Member
member - tee hee "member"
279 posts

Posted:
You can't.... you can try but it doesn't work as well as you'd like it to!

There are longer explanations but I've never heard it done that didn't sound terrible.

It really does depend on the source audio though, you'd be much better off trying to source an instrumental version of the song in question.

"Whats wrong with the cat?" - Mrs Schrödinger

Groovy_DreamSILVER Member
addict
449 posts

Posted:
Yea as firepig says, an instrumental version would be best. If you can't find one though, no stress. If the singer doesn't vary their voice much, most likely the voice will be restrained to a limited frequency range and you can chop that out fairly easily. Winamp has a inbuilt equaliser, just play around with that until you can't hear the voice as well (might make the rest of the song sound not as good, but it does work in some situations).

https://www.winamp.com/

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
You could always be a bit cheeky and use the trial version of sony soundforge it's about the best wav editor there is.

otherwise there's audacity (free open source), or maybe even goldwave is still kicking about.

you could try a noise gate filter? (not a great way to do it) in those, or look for a specific vocal remover.

oh, there's always the analogX free util too : https://www.analogx.com/contents/download/audio/vremover.htm

but that is a directX audio filter, so you'd still need one of the aformentioned applications to use it.

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin