Forums > Social Discussion > How do you celebrate Boxing Day?

Login/Join to Participate

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Okay, I've looked it up on Snopes, Wiki and Google.

I've spoken to friends around the world, and from what I get, no one really has much of an idea about it's true origins or really even celebrate it.

So...how do you pass Boxing Day?

Since I'm American and we don't have it, I'm just curious to understand. wink

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

drvarietySILVER Member
75 posts

Posted:
www.boxwars.net
not necessarily helpful, but it is how I spend mine.

There is nothing to be afraid of. Virtual reality will eventually rehabilitate your mind and eventually your body. Everything will be allright, i promise. Just concentrate. Try some music.

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Well, I'm buggering off back to London, away from my family on boxinda day... so... I guess... I... don't?

Its something to do with saving excess presents 'till the day after, or something though. I think.

I'm in a vague mood today. smile

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
well - we are putting on a daytime chillout beach party for all our friends. 30 degrees finy and sunny is the forecast. A shade structure, Small PA and a beautiful location with clear water n interesting stuff about. smile

I got a fire hacky for chrissy too! so I reckon we will play that too! smile

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
i'm going to a BBQ with my family at another familys place, along with other peoples.

thats generally what happens for most australians as far as i know, extended family and friends just kicking back and relaxing after christmas.

i'd never really looked into what it was about. somehow i made links to us celebrating australias win in the Americas Cup (yatching) when the australians flew a boxing kangaroo flag - hence calling it boxing day - and starting the sydney to hobart yatch race on the same day. ...shows how much i know about it all smile

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Cricket.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
I was talking to someone the other night over dinner, and apparently boxing day stems from a tradition where rich familys would put left overs from christmas dinner in a box and give it to those who were needy.

Sounds about right, dunnit?

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

LizzybethLizzy hearts sunshine hoop
272 posts

Posted:
hhhm. sleeping normally - but i have spent most the the day today belly dancing....and i can see it happening again tomorrow.

if i could be a busy busy bee...

burningoftheclaveySILVER Member
lurking like a ninja with no camouflage..
926 posts

Posted:
frd yeah thats the story behind it although havent heard many stories of that happening nowadays...wonder what the queen does with all her leftovers..

tomorrow i think were going to see simian mobile disco..

on spam robots - "Burn the robot! Melt him down, and then we can make lots and lots of money from his shiiiny juices!"

Owned by Brenn smile

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
Boxing Day Hunts.

LizzybethLizzy hearts sunshine hoop
272 posts

Posted:
yep sleeping - as predicted.

if i could be a busy busy bee...

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
According to the histories I've read it spans from lord's giving left-overs and used stuff to the servants (uk) to a day of charity (uk) to a day when gifts were traded instead of christmas because christmas was spent in reverence (uk) to boxing matches (oz).
So far, I've not seen any clear history so, from what I am seeing is that there isn't any real standard in celebration.

I find this very interesting, and I'm a bit envious because ya'll get an extra day! wink
Thanks for all the answers. I appreciate it!

No matter how you spend it, have fun! beerchug

Pele

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Ah, but you get Thanksgiving smile

Best wishes to everyone for the solstice, Christmas, holiday season... and 2008!

X

Getting to the other side smile

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Yeah, but so does Canada wink

Aaaaaaaaaand..we learn in school why we celebrate it (and some even preach the "proper way" to celebrate) tongue wink

Pele

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Boxing Day is when 20,000 performers, volunteers and participant people turn up at the Woodford Festival gates. This year I spent it collecting and siting and meeting and greerting my venue staff from assorted transport to various campsites....

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
Well.. it's all to do with the fact that Christmas is such a high tension day- what with all the relatives that aften don't see each other much having to spend a whole day trying to be nice to each other- but as it's a religious festival, and a celebration, it was traditionally considered sacreligious to argue or fight on the day..

So, in the UK at least, it became tradition to leave it all for the 26th...

biggrin

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

jarleGOLD Member
Lv15 Ranger
1,489 posts

Posted:
Family.

I spend Christmas Day with my close family, and it's usually spent relaxing and trying out new pressies. Boxing Day however, my father's side of my extended family all get together at someones house. Everyone brings a plate of food, the under 16s get pressies from a nominated Santa, and much merriment is around.

Kupo!

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
A long hike with my family and the dog. It's a nice change to the extravagant food and alcohol consumption on christmas day.
smile

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.