zencheshirecatnewbie
3 posts

Posted:
hey everyone, as you can see from the title, i am new to poi. i havnt even started yet or got anything for it yet, but i'm hoping to start. but first i have a couple questions...
is there a really cheap way to make your own poi that you consider really good?
and
are most people clumsy at it to start with? im sure i will be, im not overly coordinated... =\

drvarietySILVER Member
75 posts

Posted:
Hi! wavehello
Well for your first question i would recommend using a lovely function of HoP called the search button, but I'm warning you, that button is quite addictive wink Try searching for sock poi.

As for your second question, yes, everyone is. You cant expect someone to start gymnastics and instantly be able to do a black flip now would ya? I remember when I was an ickle poi learner I would just flail my arms around until the rare occasion in which I would figure something out.

There's also a great thing called the introduction threads, where you can tell us more about your wonderful self!

There is nothing to be afraid of. Virtual reality will eventually rehabilitate your mind and eventually your body. Everything will be allright, i promise. Just concentrate. Try some music.

zencheshirecatnewbie
3 posts

Posted:
ok thanks smile

well you know there are those people that are naturally gifted with coordination... =P

do most people start with sock poi?

drvarietySILVER Member
75 posts

Posted:
depends on what they have. I personally started with glowsticks, although i wish I had started with socks. Its all up to you're personal preference, and shouldn't affect that much in the beginning. marry spinning smile

There is nothing to be afraid of. Virtual reality will eventually rehabilitate your mind and eventually your body. Everything will be allright, i promise. Just concentrate. Try some music.

TankboySILVER Member
Resident Demolitions Expert
103 posts

Posted:
a lot of people start with sock poi, and a lot of people who are experienced use sock poi to train, they are convenient, comfortable, cheap, and you can do significantly more things with them than on fire....ie.hold the head.

and yeah, it will be tricky at first, just keep practicing, my tip is to always keep your poi with you, and spin wherever you have room, even walking to the bus or wherever, on the bus if there is room, at work at lunch, whenever you have a minute.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
I started with beanbags on chains. And it really helps beyond all measure if you have someone who can teach you what to do, at least for the basic stuff.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland