Forums > Beginner Staff Moves > Staff... new.... advice... yes :)

Login/Join to Participate

Meeko_KiddoSILVER Member
journeyman
84 posts

Posted:
So I want to learn staff... badly.

I am torn between getting a fire staff, and just learning with that... get a glow staff... I don't know what to get, what size, anything.

So... can anyone lend some advice smile I'm 5'4, average build, and want to do fire but think it's better to start with LED but some people I've talked to said they just got a fire staff and learned with that, just didn't light the wicks until they were comfortable.

I'm also on a budget.... my birthday is coming up and maybe my boyfriend will surprise me with a staff.. but I doubt that smile

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I'd start with an unlit fire staff or practice staff. glow staffs are more likely to break with the initial drops and bangs you will always get when larning a new skill.

find a weight you find comfortable I would suggest 120cm - 140cm for you height but again it's just preference many just use a broom handle to learn the very basics of forwards and backwards figure 8's and turning left and right whilst maintaining the spin hug

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Mynci

many just use a broom handle to learn the very basics of forwards and backwards figure 8's and turning left and right whilst maintaining the spin hug

this is right on, i am a firm beleiver in that the first 2 weeks of learning staff should be done with a stick from your garage. You can get a foam pool noodle and cut it to make the ends softer but i would suggest for 2 weeks you just spin the stick around, get a feel for how a stick moves then go on and decide what you want next.

The problem with having a fire staff is it is EXTREMLY hard to not set that kevlar on fire. I built my first staff and played with it for like a day before i couldnt hold back any more and did my first burn by squirting zippo fluid on the ends lol.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

Meeko_KiddoSILVER Member
journeyman
84 posts

Posted:
My boyfriend is the greatest. He got me a nifty glow staff for my birthday smile

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Poje

foam pool noodle

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle