Forums > Help! > laptop broken, need help fixing!

Login/Join to Participate

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Hey guys!

My laptop is not a happy bunny. Is there anyone out there who can help me?

A couple of days ago, I realised that the keyboard was not working when I tried to type things in firefox. (ie in google and HoP) I opened up word, and it was working fine in there. The mouse touchpad is also not working very well. However, I have a usb mouse and keyboard and they are working fine. I'm pretty sure its not a hardware issue. Is it possible my drivers have corrupted?

Then I tried to turn off my computer, and it froze. The only way I can now turn off my computer is either through task manager or to take the battery out. It just freezes if I try it from the start menu.

It was also starting up very slowly (taking ages to load into windows.) I went through the system tab on msconfig, and found that to be caused by "shell hardware detection". So how do I fix that?

So basically, I need help! I've run all the relevant spyware and virus checks, done a defrag, I've even got uniblue to clean my registry.

What can I do?

Is it possible this is caused by overheating issues? If so, What can I do?!

ARGH! ubbcrying

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

BurdaASILVER Member
Sacrebleu
377 posts

Posted:
Okay, not very techy but I'll offer what I can. My laptop had issues with basic processing (including shutting down, in the same way) for a while due to background processes being loaded and run without my knowing, so it may be worth making a carefully selected abatoir of your processes in task manager. Sorry if this is all tried and obvious to you, if this is the case see link below to make this post worthwhile...well a little:

https://www.gnu.org/fun/jokes/error-haiku.html

Most issues similar to keyboard etc I've had have been related to the make and model of laptop, so I may be able to help with more specific's smile

Poi(poi~y) n. : A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.
- part owner of Wooktastic™ ©

Groovy_DreamSILVER Member
addict
449 posts

Posted:
If it's a software issue, a format will probably do the trick.

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
You could try taking it to a computer service place. That's what I did when my computer was playing spooky buggers.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
What model of Laptop is it?

I have seeen similar problems on shaping lights Fujitsu Siemens laptop and that was either bad keyboard (due to spillage) or a problem with the seating of the keyboard connection.

LoewanBRONZE Member
and behold!
464 posts

Posted:
If there are keyboard issues with Firefox then I would start there, reinstall FF and see what happens. If the situation still doesn't improve then reinstall Windows again.

Why let your body be a temple? When it can be a theme park?

Wii Console Number: 3294 0297 7824 7498

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
ooh, agreed with Lowan.. silly me didn't read the whole thing carefully enough to not realise it was a system wide problem.. I'd probably do a bit more between reinstalling ff and reinstalling windows though smile

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
Pretty certain it would be a software/OS issue.

I would echo the above solution from Lowan. Start with the smallest issue and work your way up: Reinstall Firefox as it seems to be localised to that application from what you are writing.

Should that fail, try the same pages in IE and see if the error replicates there. If it does, chances are it's the drivers in general.

I am hoping your PC isn't a Dell: I work in IT helpdesk and the company i work for uses Dells and they aren't the most durable of systems. smile

Hope your issue resolves swiftly!

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
 Written by: prickleyleaf

when I tried to type things in firefox.

1) Does it happen in IE?
FF has a nifty feature of finding and highlighting text if you start typing (sometimes even if you are in a textbox). Is there a little pop up box at the bottom of FF after you type?

Written by: Pricklyleaf

Then I tried to turn off my computer, and it froze.

Does it freeze everytime you try to shutdown, or only after it doesnt show what you are typing?

I assume you are on XP - is it a home pc, or are you on NT at work (I remember you having a problem with your work computer too)

Lioke suggested, I suggest a FF reinstall (remember to save your bookmarks first - theres a file you can save that has all your configuration and bookmarks in it - do a quick google search) and if that doesnt work, try an XP reinstall.

ubbrollsmile

Let us know how it goes.

FearpigSILVER Member
member - tee hee "member"
279 posts

Posted:
I'd recommend reimaging your laptop if you've got a clean image...

It doesn't sound like a hardware issue (can't be sure though!)
If it first occurred after an install or upgrade then chances are that is your problem.

Failing that its often easier to start from scratch than resolve an issue. Feel bad saying that as I'm an IT Engineer but you can spend days tracking down an issue that could have been solved with a rebuild.

...and a rebuild removes a lot of unwanted junk.

"Whats wrong with the cat?" - Mrs Schrödinger

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
You can get some nasty and confusing errors with laptops if you've blocked the air vents at any time (like using them in bed, or sat on something soft). The memory chips can get toasted, and memory errors are the worst to track down, as sometimes they only crop up when you do one specific thing in one program. If you have 2 memory chips you can take one out at a time to see if that fixes the problem, but if you only have one you have to buy a second just to test for the problem.

Using Memtest isn't a perfect test for this, as there are so many different operations that can be done on memory that it would take weeks to test every bit of the chip for all those operations.

Like UCOF said, grab all your bookmarks and setting (usually in C:\Documents and Settings\yourusername\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox. Just grab everything, and use it to replace everything in that folder after you reinstall). Easiest way to back it all up, and works the same way for Thunderbird if you need to back up all your email/filers/settings/etc. (although it might be in a different place in \Application Data\).

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

LoewanBRONZE Member
and behold!
464 posts

Posted:
Ok... Leaf still hasn't replied, her computer probably died.

Why let your body be a temple? When it can be a theme park?

Wii Console Number: 3294 0297 7824 7498

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Yup, it was dead.

It wasn't just firefox, it was also IE, but I don't really use that.

After spending a whole weekend trying to resolve things, I decided that it was worth the money getting someone to fix it, rather than spend every weekend for the next month trying to fix it myself, only to end up reinstalling windows from scratch.

Apparently most things were caused by my power driver becoming corrupted, so the guy pretty much stripped all my drivers out and put them back in (back to the old fashioned power driver to avoid the same thing happening again).

And its all working fine now I'm happy to report. Apart from it not recognising half my hardware that I plug in now, but I can sort that out as and when.

Unfortunatley I won't have internet for the next few weeks (I'm at my 'rents house till then.

But thanks for all your help and advice.

(P.S. I've never blocked the cooling vents on this laptop, but acer's are known to sometimes have overheating issues. (I killed my last laptop through overheating, so I've been very careful with this one!)

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Pricklyleaf

Apparently most things were caused by my power driver becoming corrupted, so the guy pretty much stripped all my drivers out and put them back in

I hope thats not the technical phrase the computer repair guy used...

eek

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
no, thats the technical phrase I used as I don't really know what I'm talking about tongue

Ralph Waldo Emerson

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
*BUMP*

OK, the guy who 'fixed' my computer didn't put back in/enable whichever driver it is that recognises USB mass storage devices when you plug them in. As such, whenever I try to plug in USB memory sticks, MP3 players, digi cameras etc, I get the message that the device has not been recognised. I've tried reinstalling the software for the individual devices, but this doesn't work.

The USB ports are fine, as they work with my USB mouse, keyboard and printer, its just mass storage devices that it has a problem with.

Could someone tell me which driver it is I need to download, from somewhere like driver guide, to fix this?

Thanks for your help!

(P.s, the guy did offer to fix it for free, but I'm incredibly busy at the moment, and don't have time to lose my laptop for a couple of days, and risk it still not being fixed, I can't be bothered with the hassle, if its easier for me to just download a driver).

Ralph Waldo Emerson

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Have you tried doing a windows update at all? It might see which driver is missing and reinstall it for you.

If you have a genuine copy of windows use IE : https://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/

If you have a non genuine copy of windows or want to use Firefox: https://www.windizupdate.com

smile

Try that, then let us know how you get on.

ubbrollsmile

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Thanks for your help but...

Old laptop very dead. Now have lovely new nice one!

I hooked up to my parents internet with it, then when I got home, couldn't hook back up to mine. (Turns out there was a problem with my line but meh).

I was going to try to download drivers from the acer website, but as I couldn't get on, decided to just stick the rescue disk in and be done with it.

So I tried to reinstall windows, but found that the mouse and keyboard no longer worked, I couldn't even get off the windows setup screen.

So I gave up and got a new one. Figured it would cost more to repair it than the laptop was worth, and already spent £100 on it and it didn't work.

New laptop is shiny biggrin

Ralph Waldo Emerson