GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
I reacently spun my monkey fist poi that have leather handles. After the spin i put them back into kero like normal but then forgot about them and someone put the handles in the kero with them. (overnight)

Am i ok to put all the poi, heads, chains handles in the sink in water to clean them?

Also could i add some cleaning agent like fairy liquid, flash etc to clean them better? I want to be able to spin unsmelly (and undirty) fire poi in the house (unlit obviously!)

I wrap tshirts around the heads then fasten with ties to not get soot all over the carpet

(I have searched and an answer hasnt been found yet)

Cheers

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
thanks. How do i get the kero out the leather to stop my hands getting smelly and black (and also rubbing)

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
You should be able to get away with washing the leather just once. Maybe you could put some leather conditiner on them afterwards to replaces the oil that the soap will strip?

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

WooktasticBRONZE Member
the kicker of elves
371 posts

Posted:
Leather will be ok after a while. But it takes a long bloody time to break it in again after getting it wet.

Man is no more than a conduit for excrement to pass through.- daVinci

Jointly owned by BurdA and Tinypixie

Wielder of the voice of Patrick Stewart

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
I frequently use washing up liquid in hot water to wash gear eg before flying with it, or just cos it's skanky. Otherwise the kero/fuel will not dissolve. You might get a bit out, but mostly waste water and make your sink/bucket horrible.

Washing gear is a fine idea. A lot of the smell/dirt/soot effect, particularly from stinky fuel like kero, comes from the residue of all those previous burns.. not just the current one. To me, not washing gear every now and again would be like wearing the same T shirt every time you span and never washing it. Fine for feral home play, but horrible for anything public.

12 hours in the sun and still not dry hug Poor fella you; reminds me why I cam back to Oz!

As for leather handles, it's like shoes. They get wet all the time, no! So you can also wash them and dry them. Leather conditioner is a fine idea.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....