Page:
MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
First snow was last night.

Well, for loose definitions of "snow," anyway.

I remember when I was a little kid (<10yo) growing up on a lake in Southeastern Michigan. Come this time of year we would get a big dumping of at least a foot or two. And then it would stick. The lake would freeze over and my dad would shovel off a skating rink and we'd go cross-country skiing on the lake. The entire world would turn into a winter wonderland draped in a thick sheet of white. We'd go sledding and ice fishing. It was great.

Today, climate change has hit. Southeastern Michigan gets snow maybe 5 times in a winter. It never lasts more than a few days. The lake never freezes anymore, and on the rare occasion it does, you'd be out of your rocker to try walking on it.

Still, a little kid in me wakes up and jumps for joy when it snows. Even if it's an inch. Now excuse me, I'm going out to try to play in it. smile

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

rin_666SILVER Member
enthusiast
223 posts

Posted:
awwwwww I want snow!!!!....stupid indecisive uk weather *grumblegrumble*

TinglTanglBobBRONZE Member
17 posts

Posted:
I'm from Austria and we have quite a lot of snow allready.
Snow is one of the geatest things ever. biggrin

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
*turns on the aircon*

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

WooktasticBRONZE Member
the kicker of elves
371 posts

Posted:
can i has snow? frown

Man is no more than a conduit for excrement to pass through.- daVinci

Jointly owned by BurdA and Tinypixie

Wielder of the voice of Patrick Stewart

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Wooktastic, I'll bring you some when I come in March.

I have the same memories Doc, only add in snowmobiling and snowshoeing..and digging caves in the drifts!

And if you move here, you could still have it.

Our first snow came in the beginning of November, just after Halloween. We got two inches on Thanksgiving. We've gotten inches more since, and there is snow in the forecast every day for the next week and a half.

PWB's dad just gave us a snowblower...thank goodness! Shovelling last winter hurt me and I've already done it this year.

And we'll have snow at least until early April, sometimes we get it on Mother's Day in May but we usually get a reprieve in Feb lately, and sometimes in March with a temporary warm up.

I love it myself much better than the stupid extreme heat we get.

Forgot to mention, the one tradition around here that I'll not be taking part in again...sledding at the beach park, straight down the hill and into Lake Ontario. It's the polar dip. OMG invigorating (so they say, I thought it was freezing) and fun to do....once. wink
EDITED_BY: Pele (1196646332)

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I remember my second year of medical school in Michigan.

We had a fair amount of snow that year in February and it did stick around in great piles for most of that that month and March. Around the beginning of April, we had a lovely warm weekend. The temperature hit 70F and the huge piles of snow melted, leaving water everywhere...and by sunday evening, it was pretty dry, some blossoms were starting to open on the trees, and Spring had officially sprung.

The next morning there was a yard of snow on the ground. I almost cried.

-Mike

WooktasticBRONZE Member
the kicker of elves
371 posts

Posted:
The funny thing is, Pele, that here it actually IS more likely to snow in march than in december.

Man is no more than a conduit for excrement to pass through.- daVinci

Jointly owned by BurdA and Tinypixie

Wielder of the voice of Patrick Stewart

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
Be happy you aren't over here. The snow which we had at least five inches then melted and froze and getting out of my driveway it sounds like I put hole in my muffler

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

scoshBRONZE Member
non stop uber rocking electro rock party
122 posts

Posted:
i hardly ever get any snow even when the whole rest of the country is covered nope nothing all because i have the sea but its ok because i love the sea....but some snow would be lovely frown

"im quite depressed, im quite a mess, so beat me up, beat me down, mess me up beyond all recognition"

TinglTanglBobBRONZE Member
17 posts

Posted:
the sea is great too!
Id love to try surfing, but there is no sea around frown

people told me that it is very hard to learn surfing. does anybody know?

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
What is this "snow"?

I guess the East Coast of South Africa is not a good place to be asking that from....

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Yeah, that's not uncommon 'round here Doc. We have photos somewhere of Irises and Tulips with snow on them. It's pretty but wonky.

The sucks fif! Our neighbor plowed our driveway which left it super slick. It was nice of him to do the favor and all but a little snow is good for traction.

So, Doc...you want to come visit? We are currently under a winter weather advisory for a wicked storm. Winds up to 50mph and at least 18" of snow by this time tomorrow. I have a shovel with your name on it love! wink
We actually have to leave work early because of the road advisory.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Now, if we only had a fireplace!

Wooktastic, that is really good to know! Now I know to pack my thermals! wink Thanks!

Pele

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
So Phoenix doesnt get much snow but it rains this last weekend, lots of rain, and wind. It was pretty nice, the sun is back out. Looks liek the rest of the week will be in the 70s and sunny.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

OldLadyWinchesterSILVER Member
stranger
14 posts

Posted:
it hasnt stopped snowing here in a day and a half. But I live in an area called the "snow belt".

a true traveller has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving -Lao Tzu

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Pele

So, Doc...you want to come visit? We are currently under a winter weather advisory for a wicked storm. Winds up to 50mph and at least 18" of snow by this time tomorrow. I have a shovel with your name on it love! wink
We actually have to leave work early because of the road advisory.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

oooh oooh OOOOH!!! eek
Me me me! I'll come!!!
I'll even build a fireplace!

OMG I love the snow so much! We don't get masses of it in Calgary, with living in the city, but we'll occasionally get a few inches at a time. We just get the insanely cold weather instead.
But, at least we can drive just 30mins outside of the city and we get to the deep stuff. smile

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:

No. Absolutely not. Not without a fireplace to stretch out in front of and drink hot cocoa.

-Mike

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
OldLadyWinchester, I live across the lake from you. I can empathise wink

Mand, you are both welcome here anytime! We have a *great* park on the lake with these rolling hills, and huge ski mountains, so much winter fun to be had!!!
I'll even have the spare room and mugs of hot cocoa ready for you! biggrin

Pele

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Pele? We do not advertise upstate New York as having "huge ski mountains" to a woman who lives in British Columbia. That would be considered "false advertising."

-Mike

3,556 posts

Posted:
oh goody we are supposed to get another 3 in this afternoon and another three to five tonight. guess i'll be getting up early tomorrow to dig out

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
It flurried today. We had a tiny bit of a dusting on the ground for a few minutes (literally less than a half hour). Of course, even though our emergency room has an outside wall, the windows are only situated near the cieling. I guess that's probably because we look out at a loading dock...

-Mike

ACTSILVER Member
enthusiast
318 posts

Posted:
We got some flurries today in PA but nothing to coat the ground. We're expecting snow showers all day tomorrow though. Maybe we will get that white christmas I always dreamed about smile

Don't hate me because I am different, hate me because I still think I am better then you!

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Doc, the Alleghanies and Adies actually have some that are compatible. tongue
Snow capped even.

Well...now everything is.

We had our first snow day of the season, as in traffic advisories and the majority of the schools in the area were closed (except Noah's despite him wearing his jammies inside out with white socks last night)

Tonnes of snow...gads of wind...which made it so I don't have a tonne of snow in my driveway biggrin

tomorrow flurries and after that...more snowfall, for several days in a row!
bounce

PWB and I even suited up and walked to work this morning, since it was easier than trying to drive up the icey hill of our street. I love the "swishy-swishy" sound of the snowpants when I walk, and feeling like the kid in "Christmas Story" who couldn't put his arms down. I felt like I was 8 all over again!
ubbrollsmile

Snow makes me stupid hapoy (now, in April I'm sure I'll have a completely different outlook wink )

Pele

clarence_quackSILVER Member
QuackerJack
1,927 posts

Posted:
*Listens to cicadas outside in the sun*

*Pulls on shorts*

That's it, I'm moving to the other side of the world!

Nutella Brigade Unite!

"Look! I have a rainbow penis!" - Rouge

Owned By Steaks

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
I was swimming today. Was a lovely sunny day....

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

BynjaimynSILVER Member
25 posts

Posted:
when i was in france on my exchange program, i loved the snow! people thought it was so funny how amazed i was by the snow... i had to explain that growing up in the southern part of texas, that snow was VERY rare! it has snowed here twice in my life. the first was not much at all, and then the second was about an inch.... but in france it was like FEET of snow... it was so cool, and i miss that! le sigh... ubbcrying

anyway, if anyone wants to bring me snow here in texas, that'll rock! (:..: ahem :...: Doc? :..: ahem :..:)

A classical vocalist, aspiring to be an opera singer after college. Love to read, watch tv and movies, hang out with friends, and of course I love to spin fire poi.

My spinning stage name is Pann, and this refers to the Greek God as well as Peter Pan.

3,556 posts

Posted:
we got more snow. The roads weren't too bad but my car is making a weird noise. Stupid ice.

Faith

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I know if ice builds in my wheel well or under the ground effects it grinds and makes all manner of noises. I have to kick it off to get it to stop.

I've also begun to remember to lift my blades when I am not in my car so they don't get frozen down. Forgot about that and it sucked so bad. I had to pour de-icer on it to get them to work.

Pele

3,556 posts

Posted:
I was afraid it was my muffler but hey this morning it sounded so much better

Oh and we are supposed to get three to five more inches tonight. I want a snow blower. We are going to have about a foot on the ground by tomorrow morning

Faith

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:

I've also begun to remember to lift my blades when I am not in my car so they don't get frozen down. Forgot about that and it sucked so bad. I had to pour de-icer on it to get them to work.

is de-icer called hot water in some places?

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
fif, we have a foot already, and are slotted for another before Sat night hits.

Oddly though, we have a snowblower, and hve been using shovels instead. THere are 4 of us, so we can make really short work of the light and fluffy. It's when it gets all wet and soggy that the blower will come out wink

Poje...yes, especially when yer tongue gets frozen to a metal pole! wink

Pele

Page: