Page:
Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
Well, I can now attest to two things about playing with my poi while under the influence of E..1. Poi "seems" very easy to do, but in reality, I'm hitting myself more.2. It *IS* possible to learn new moves under the influence. :P I learned the reverse weave...sheesh..now all I need to do is learn some BTB stuff..heh------------------ [PLUR]-=Crazy Raver Dude=-

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

CAINED-AND-UNABLEmember
214 posts

Posted:
i hear ya raver-dude. u think its fun on a pill....... try it on mushies grin

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
lol, I'll try that sometime. :P I bet it "seems" easy to figure moves out..heh------------------ [PLUR]-=Crazy Raver Dude=-

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

basilmember
3 posts

Posted:
I was using streamer poi under a healthy dose of LSD last weekend. The tracers the LSD was producing gave the impression that I was painting the sky with the poi. It was unbelivable. For me poi and psychedelic drugs are going to be a pretty tight pair for sometime to come.

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
I wouldn't advise lighting up in an 'altered' state though.

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

SupermanBRONZE Member
829 posts

Posted:
ok ok ok ok ....theres something i dont understand...i get crapped on for a beer prayer, but then someone posts about spinning while tripping, and it has gone untouched...amazing!!Im not bashing you..believe me. i love to spin while i am roll'n balls, but i cant do it very well because all i care about are the pretty lights travelling around me...I much rather watch someone else spin..And i agree with KAt..please dont trip and spark up..Super'------------------"Only the warrior that hears the call will know when to leave, Where to go" -unknown"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams"- Willy Wonka

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear--not absence of fear.

- Mark Twain

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
Personally, I find that I am more fluid and hit myself far less when altered. But the biggest difference is that I can really let go when altered and just not think about the moves. All I do is groove to the music and the poi spin themselves. People have told me I've done moves and transitions while tripping that they've never seen me do straight.I had a *lot* of fun with mushrooms just this past weekend, spinning streamers for hours outside watching the sun come up. I tried a few completely new tricks too. I'll post these to the new moves section once I get a chance to try them in a non-altered state, but fellow travellers may get a kick out of reading them here.First off, I tied the handle of one streamer to the swivel clip of the other, making one long poi with two trails. I spun this for "a while" and then started throwing it up in the air while rotating and then trying to catch it. I could never catch the handle, but I did manage to catch a tail once, so I started spinning that. That gives you something about 10' long to spin, and you can have *lots* of fun doing full-body wraps.Then I got to wondering what would happen if you tied the ends of the streamers together. Think this doesn't work? Ha! it *does* work! Try a corkscrew, or a forward to reverse weave combo! Or letting the tails wrap arround your body and then reverse out of it! Now, if I could only come up with this stuff without chemical enhancement I'd be set...-p.

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
Oh, I forgot one more thing. Normally, I use self-tightening finger loops on my poi. I've replaced the nylon straps on my streamer poi with custom leather jobs, and never really thought much about grip since.Well, I started just pinching the handle between my thumb and index finger. I'm not sure why, but I had endless fun watching my hands and fingers while going the 5-beat weave. I also realized that I could do the 3-beat with these fingers nearly touching so I started trying to do the weave with both poi in the same hand. fscking-a, it works!-p.

tekknogurrlBRONZE Member
90 posts

Posted:
geez! is there ANYONE on this board who doesn't do drugs?? i'm sorry, but i have so little respect for those who need to be fucked up to enjoy things. life is strange and amazing enough on its own.and poi is pretty crazy sans substance abuse as well. just my humble opinion- and please spare me the comments of "you need to be more open-minded" and "lighten up", because drugs just make me sick, for my own personal reasons.

~K~No matter what you do, one billion Chinese won't care.

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
well, i dont do drugs....dont see the point really...i dont drink much either, makes me sick (like, ill headache). other people can do what they want to i guess, their bodies, etc.etc.etc. but its not much fun being sober around people who are not...off to practice nowPere[This message has been edited by Peregrine (edited 22 May 2001).]

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
*tries to be careful as to how things are put as to not upset anyone*Tekknogurrl...Your comments upset me, because I (nor anyone else I saw) said that they "need to be fucked up to enjoy things." I do not feel this way. I feel that taking certain kinds can actually enhance a life "experience" thus, giving you a more memorable experience. I don't HAVE to take it, nor do I feel like I NEED to be this way to enjoy anything. I merely prefer to experience it "every now and then." Drugs do not have to be something that you do daily, monthly, or even regularly. just my 2gp..PLUR(For those of you who don't know what PLUR means: PEACE, LOVE, UNITY, and RESPECT)...good for all to practice.Crazy Raver Dude[This message has been edited by CrazyRaverDude (edited 22 May 2001).]

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

tekknogurrlBRONZE Member
90 posts

Posted:
ok, i was being a little unfair, i didnt mean to make the statement that people NEED to be fucked up to do things...i apologize. i just really don't agree with drugs, as they are responsible for a)the death of one of my friends, b)the problems of many of my friends.c) the closing of the best club ever (twilo), d)the negative stereotypes of ravers/teenagersI think people who do E and acid and dust and whatever else are responsible for making the rave scene look so bad.I care about everybody and I don't want anyone to be hurt by a foolish choice.

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
I can agree with just about every statement you made in yoru second post tekknogrrl.A LOT of people *DO* have a drug problem.It DOES cause negative stereotypes about raves and people who go to raves.However, I do not feel that everyone who does E and acid or whatever else is responsible for making the rave scene look bad. It is "E" becoming more popular, and people that are NOT in it for the music, or in it for the right reasons, those are the ones who bring about a bad stereotype. I'm all for the music, and the sharing of the experience. Same reasons why I do poi. I enjoy sharing what I can do with others. Same reason why I play the violin. I do think it is sad. Not much we can all do about it though. *shrugs* peace------------------ [PLUR]-=Crazy Raver Dude=-

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

Girl From Marsmember
168 posts

Posted:
oooo it's hot and heated in here. i might get a sunburn. i think everyones view of drugs were posted before. i dont do drugs, i have never tried anything from drugs to alcohol. i like how my body functions and sees things with out the use of enhancement so i do see the point. but i have many many friends that do. pere....i think its fun to be sober and no one else is. that way if they happen to not remember in the morning you can either fill them in with the truth or totally fuck with them and feed them bs. (yea i can be evil). everyone does what they want and are going to continue to no matter what people tell them. i stick to my choice but do not try to instill it on others (thats just annoying). lead happy lives with whatever you chose to do, and don't not like a person automatically because of that cause if you get past your own views and befriend them they could end up one of the closest friends you'll have. and can i just add a HELL YEAH to CRD for PLUR!!!!! (definately something to live by)------------------the music feeds my soul that glows and grows with every spin i take.

the music feeds my soul that glows and grows with every spin i take.

Twistmember
160 posts

Posted:
Hate to say it, but the rave scene wouldna' much exist if it weren't for E and other drugs. The two go very much hand in hand and their origins and spread are linked... I don't feel you can condemn one without addressing the other.I spent all weekend at a party in the desert spinning fire on a cliff above the main stage... totally sobre and it was beautiful.I have also, as this post started out, made leaps and bounds in my progress with poi and life because of drug use.Death, despair, and club closings are not the result of drug use. They are the result of careless drug use.There's a difference.

tekknogurrlBRONZE Member
90 posts

Posted:
I consider ALL drug use careless.

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
Just a question Tekknogurrl: do you smoke ciggarettes or drink alcohol?Just out of interest because in my opinion those are the evilest drugs of all and seem to be neglected under the smoke screen of the very few deaths caused by ecstasy and the something ridiculous like 30,000 deaths in australia a year caused by alcohol or alochol related incidents and tobacco.

- Industrial design knows of no article more useful than the milk crate -

tekknogurrlBRONZE Member
90 posts

Posted:
no, i dont drink or smoke. i'd be quite the hypocrite if i did, huh?

Twistmember
160 posts

Posted:
I'm gonna try one more go at this, simply because it is something I believe very strongly in...Considering all drug use careless based on the actions of a certain group of people who are irresponsible, uneducated on the nature of substances, engage in poor behavior or whatever is truly unfair. It is a poor analogy, but that is like saying all drivers are dangerous if a few individuals in an area consistently get into wrecks. I very much feel for your personal involvement in the topic TG, but there is something important to understand......drugs play an important and pivotal role in the creative energy of most societies. The majority of the people making the music you dance to at raves, at some point in their lives, derived inspiration from drugs. Many of the people who threw the first parties way back in the dawn of time.. or the eighties i should say... did so specifically in accord with drug culture. Every creative movement, be it hippy, beatnik, jazz, hip-hop, dance, whatever, has intimate ties to drug culture...... the reason for that... and the reason this thread started.. is because conscientious drug use allows you to step outside preconceived notions and make creative associations that would not have been previously possible. This is a simple fact. I wholeheartedly agree... drugs, if used carelessly, can ruin everything from an individual life to a beautiful community. That is why educaiton and openmindedness are key......I've said it before and I'll say it again... drugs are like fire. Use them with care and respect they can be beautiful... use them carelessly and they will hurt you.I realize this won't help and I'll shut up about it now... but please understand... drug users.. and regular drug users are very much a large part of this society... it is just that those who ar ein control of their experiments blend in... while those who are not indeed ruin things for many of us.Hugs, K?

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
In addition to that, there were many artists(paintings and such), and even inventors(Thomas Edison to name one), that helped conceive ideas while under the influence. I feel that anything you do in life, carelessly can lead to bad side-effects. And just about anything you do in life carelessly can kill you. This includes drugs.tekknogrrl, May I ask why you consider all drug use careless? (Always interested in understanding other people's viewpoints)mad plurCRD

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

pjmember
277 posts

Posted:
I saw this thread moments before I needed to leave the house and head out to our spin jam and knew I needed to reply. I'm glad I waited because Twist hit the high points (no pun intented) of what I wanted to say, and was far more eloquent than I could have been.But I would like to underscore one point that was not made perfect clear: The problem is almost never with the drugs. The problem is with the drug users. Irresponsible drug use is absolutely tragic. There is no doubt that lives are lost to drug use and that many more are less than they could be without them.I beg to differ with anyone who claims that responsible drug use is not possible. It is certainly not easy, and I'd be willing to bet that a substantial percentage of the population is not capable of responsible use. But for those who are, the proper use of recreational chemicals can be incredibly enlightening. I consider my mind to be fairly well-trained. I am fortunate in that my job and lifestyle allow me many hours on contemplation. However, I have gained an understanding of certain things while under the influence of chemicals that I am certain that I would not have learned otherwise.And yes, I certainly can have fun w/o chemicals. Loads of it. Most of the time I spin poi I am completely straight. In the time that I raved (93-95) I never once used used illicit substances. (Of course, I must admit that I was on prescription medication that precluded the use of most recreational drugs.)So my philisophy is this: If you don't want to use drugs, you don't have to use them! Imagine that! What a concept! Some people get a thrill out of knitting. Fine. I don't understand it, but I accept that it is within the realm of possabiility. All I ask is that people accept the fact that careful drug use *can* be one of the most enlightening experiences possible.But let me explain a few things that you do not understand having never used drugs. They do not act on their own. We're not talking like going out to the local video store, renting some flick, popping it into the vcr/dvd player and watching the fun. A good trip actually requires work and you only get out of it what you put into it. It is possible to sit arround and just get "fucked up" but that is totally lame. And pretty dull if you ask me. Personally, I hate getting "fucked up" although I must admit that I have been there on occsion.Now to bring this all back to poi, because that is what this UBBSs is all about. There is something about poi that lends itself remarkably well to the psychedelic experience. I have always been *the* *most* *uncoordinated* person in the world. My ability to dance (even while tripping) is almost zero. It took me a long time to get over the issue of not letting how silly I must look keep me from flailing arround to the music. (But that's another story, which I will spare you.) But poi, man, this is something that I can do. And spinning poi while tripping is an absolutely mind-blowing experience for me. I am certain there are others who feel the same way. This is, no doubt, why this is such a heated issue.I really wish I could say that you shouldn't criticise those of us who partake until you have tried for yourself. But unfortunately, if you go in with a closed mind, if you are unable to accept the possabilities, you *will* have a bad trip and you *will* come back telling us that drugs do nothing more than "fuck you up."Such is life. It is what it is. It is up to each of us to find our own way in this crazy world. I am comfortable with the path that I am taking, but I doubt highly it would work for very many people. I know for a fact that I would not want to follow the paths of *most* people in this world.-p.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
i'm clean and always have been.and quite honestly, i think that it is irresponsible to willingly give up control of your mind and body without a very good reason.side note: i dont come down on you for accepting drugs even though i totally disagree, so please dont come down on me for unaccepting them.

BEZERKERenthusiast
237 posts

Posted:
Interesting to note that pro drug users are trying to defend and explain where as the con drug users try to attack these views.redbrother, noone is hassling you for not agreeing but perhaps more because you call people "irresponsible" and state that they are "willingly giving up control" when you have NO experiential background. Try it, hate it, THEN tell us we're irresponsible and out of control. I don't tell you you're close minded and irrational.At any rate why persue a topic that can't be resolved. Let's move on to religious beliefs grin grin grin

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
Berzerker: i do believe that has already been covered.

BEZERKERenthusiast
237 posts

Posted:
Mmmmmm......Perhaps an appertif of capital punishment then tongue

FrenzieBRONZE Member
515 posts

Posted:
lol, cmon, some originality berzerker smile*grin*

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
you dont like drugs? your rather nobody had access to them? well kiss almost all the good artwork you've ever seen, all the good music youve ever listened to and pretty much all the interesting ppl you've ever met goodbye baby.tekknogrrl - do you think the artists that write the music that produced the rave scene were teatotalers?the only ppl I've known who have ever had a problem with a drug (which was the result of the drug itself - and not circumstance) were totally irresponsible drug takers, buying from irresponsible dealers etc etc.The people have responsibility not the drugs.drugs dont kill ppl. ppl kill ppl (most of the time) smilegoddamn, please keep flogging this deadhorse.Relax...if drugs are dangerous, and ppl take drugs, then natural selection will rule out the genes that give ppl the propensity for drug abuse...wont they?oh...whoops. how do we explain the fact that drugs (and not just mild ones folx) have existed as a part of human social development since 'The Beginning?' oh....looks like drugs arent the problem. looks like ppl having a choice is the problem.Also - lets take the example of Amsterdam (holland)...they regulate dope usage, and distribution, and bam, the drug crime rate drops. oh drugs are sooo bad. oh what can we blame now? lets blame....um....um....(no no! not ourselves!!)...um....Have a nice day.Josh"I knocked on the doors to my mind, but They wouldnt let me in." -Me, Now.

Dr.NoodleHeadBRONZE Member
170 posts

Posted:
Josh,Bit off-topic, sorry, but just noticed your signature thingy ("I knocked on the doors to my mind, but They wouldnt let me in." -Me, Now.)Where's it from?Noods smile

Fish are just like trees except they move and they're invisible

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
hey noods...I made it up. it was what I said to myself, as I was finishing that post. whether or not I've heard it before (but forgotten hearing it) is an unanswerable question smileIts probly some old hippy music or something.but it pretty much sums up what I feel about the whole arguement against drugs put forward by ppl who dont understand the effects. Why cant I be allowed the respect of self-determination? I could only possibly hurt myself, and even that is very very unlikely.Josh

Stressed Ericmember
15 posts

Posted:
lo allgood thread going i do use drugs , cannabis and coffee but i dont use alcahol,E,trips,powders or anything man made,hell it even breaks my heart to take painkillers ,or any thing that the doc prescibes(some times its nessesaery i agree but only due to the fact that we have been weaking our bodys over previous generations )we all have the freedom of choice and if you choose to use or choose not to use at least you have been given the option to chose your own path throu life just keep it safe as ya can twirling while stoned ??it dont work in my book cause as soon as i get hit i get the giggles ,and being a newbie i get hit plenty Eric

Peregrinemember
428 posts

Posted:
sorry but i really disagree with the "try it and hate it and then come back and talk to us about it" argument. I consider mind altering drug use too risky for me personally to try, even once, maybe its harmless for most people maybe it wont be for me...sounds a lot like 'try it! you'll like it! really!' this is the sort of exclusionary talk which has really turned me off of going to events where people are altered...its like being social without being with the real people.haven't we had this drug use argument before? I respect your choice, you respect mine. some people consider drug use to be harmful, to the taker and to others and its because they care about other people that they would rather not see drugs used. is this really a bad thing? some people have had deeply emotional things happen to them and they're not going to change their mind on it. is it really necessary to try to change their opinion by justification of your own actions? (this is for both sides) just my 2 pesos.Pere

Page: