GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
Im off travelling in Jan and will be taking my sock poi and hyperlights with me.

Will I be ok taking monkey fist poi with me and will it be easy enough to find fuel to spin with in thailand, japan, fiji, oz, new zealand canada and US?

Hopefully in thailand i will spin on beaches/around restaurants/hotels in exchange of a bed and bit of food. smile

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
I had no problem having my poi ( socks and Isis ) with me in the luggage on the plane from Sweden to Japan and back again.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Ahhh, it's been a while since I've said this:
"Do a search!" wink

There's loads of threads about travelling with props on planes.
Loads of threads on fuel types abroad, different names, where to get it etc.

Plus, the fact that there are 100s (if not 1000s) of threads about fire-spinning in thailand, japan, fiji, oz, new zealand canada and US would suggest that there's fuel readily available in each of these countries smile

rolleyes I'm such a bitch wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
we love you anyways. wink kiss

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
They can get narky about fire toys.. especially as hand luggage.

I've had no problems with my set being in the hold, and at the last count, my fire poi have been on 5 international flights and 6 internal Ozzie ones, often with the worrying kero smell that causes the problems (I've never got round to washing them yet)
But then, I could just have been lucky.
Have a good trip anyways
biggrin

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
Ive read it mentioned on another thread (and it seems smart) that if questioned about it, that you be sure to explain that they are "juggling tools" and avoid words that could cause issues, like "fire".

And I too would avoid putting them in hand luggage. Just the chain itself could be viewed as a prohibited item.

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

Live_in_a_spinBRONZE Member
Dude where's my Poi?
383 posts

Posted:
Iv traveled arond the world with my fire poi a couple of times. i just wraped them in plastic bags and put them in my bag. I never told anyone they were there nobody ever asked.
Ko phi phi in Thailand is one of the best places to get tip money most of the bars have fire shows just ask if you can spin with them. Allso theres a big fire spin meet at the full moon party on Ko phangan.
As for fuel i found it much easyer to find in New Zealand than in the UK.
Hope this helps

Live life in a spin!!!
but if you fall don't come crying to me!!!