DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
First step would be to clean the lens... Use a proper anti-static, non-smear cleaner with a lint-free cloth.

It could've been moisture on the lens as well, especially with how cold it is here at night at the moment...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:
I have seen this on numerous occaisions with the cheaper end of consumer grade cameras (mini-dv). Moisture and material on the lense notwithstanding, I have nearly always understood the problem to be one of design.

mark

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Yeah, could just be your camera's not quite up to the job, though if this were the case it would always have issues with fire.

My Mini-DV records fire fine, and it's no where near a top-of-the-range one, even by camcorder standards.

Have you tried frowning at it and hitting it with a stick?
wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

PinkNigelPinker than thou
336 posts

Posted:
I'm with the "it's the camera" brigade..

Digital cameras capture images on a grid of whatsits (sorry, brain's gone a blank on what they're really called). On older cameras and presumably still on not-so-good ones, the way they're wired up means a bright light spot fritzes a whole column of whatsits resulting in the blue lines you're getting.

A wise man once said: "You have two ears and one mouth, therefore you should shut the censored up and listen" (though, to be fair, he might not've put it _quite_ like that..)

akgraphicsSILVER Member
133 posts

Posted:
Try changing the brightness settings down on the camera before filming? Then adjusting the brightness afterwards on the computer if its too dark.

I kinda like these lens-flares - I do like the button that makes them in Photoshop!

(The grid of whatsits is called the Charged Couple Device (CCD) not sure what the whatsits are though! Something photoelectric effect (urgh GCSE quantum physics .... ) )

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:
Several thoughts here, unfourtunately there is not really anything wrong with the camera, however, if it is new then you might want to see if it is returnable, saying it is not suitable, I suppose it depends on the supplier, and or their return policy, and how long you have had it.

I suspect you will find this is one of lighting contrasts, so if you can film at dusk rather than against black, other options depend upon what level of manual control the cam lets you have, you will need to reduce the exposure, try a neutral density filter, and possibly ant glare filter and lense hood might help.

good luck

mark

marcoenthusiast
328 posts

Posted:
Cannon Xl1 or Xl1s 3ccd, these are good system cameras, I use them for fire, although they are somewhat expensive and probably much more than you need, you might be able to obtain a decent example from ebay or similar,

mark

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
What is the actual camera you have? I am getting one for this holiday and have basically decided on the Panasonic Palmcorder SDR-H18 Hard Disk/SD Card Camcorder. Its about $460 USD.

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
I looked at a couple of reviews for the Fujifilm Finepix and it is pretty well thought of. Apparently it does not offer a full manual exposure operations mode, so it has difficulty in high contrast situations. That sounds exactly like what your problem might be.

I would follow marco's advice and try shooting fire spins at dusk or with more ambient lighting so that the contrast of the poi vs dark background isn't so great. Maybe that would help.

If you are not impatient, wait until after the holidays and I'll report to you on how the Panasonic does with firefilming, once I get an opportunity to test it.

Does anyone else have a low-budget option that they like for this kind of activity?

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
Hm.. how long have you had it for?

Fuji are generally pretty good at fixing if you've had it less than a year- my Mum even got hers fixed outside the guarantee period for free.. I use a finepix f10, which is one of the older models in the same series- and I've had no issues at all with glare, and I've got a lot of fire spinning videos on there, sometimes I've had the blue lines show up on the display screen during filming, (which it does warn may happen in the instruction book) but never on the actual vid clip.

By the way- the comment about the 'full manual mode' is irrelevant is you're fliming- this mode (on the older model I own)- is only for photos..

That is definitely not s'posed to happen. Complain. wink
EDITED_BY: hamamelis (1196975751)

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
 Written by: hamamelis

By the way- the comment about the 'full manual mode' is irrelevant is you're fliming- this mode (on the older model I own)- is only for photos..

Yeah, I kind of took a stab in the dark, as I couldn't find any mention of that specifically relating to video vs photo.

Thank you for correcting me there. smile