Makomember
53 posts

Posted:
I would like to say a massive thanks to HoP as all the poi moves I have mastered..not many are thanks to your teachings.

However I was wondering if any of you have had the same problem as me.

I kind of worked my way through the butterfly section (except have just found a link on a butterfly fountain I can't wait to try!), once I picked up the standard the following moves came naturally with minimal head banging and swearing wink

However I've kind of hit a wall - I know with enough practice I'll be able to get past it. But I seem to now have a butterfly mind set, which is hindering new moves!

Anyone else had similar, or any ideas on follow on moves for that matter (I'm tired of getting a headache!)
hug

If a tree falls in a forest with no one to witness it...do the other trees laugh?

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
"not many are thanks to your teachings" umm

Have you er...tried both the poi moves forums - advanced and beginners?
Or trawled YouTube and other poi sites for videos and tutorials?
There's so much out there on a plate for you to learn...

If you're stuck with butterfly moves, either force youself to learn same-direction moves, or just go and discover how many 1000s of moves are out there using a butterfly as a base.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Makomember
53 posts

Posted:
Sorry Durbs that came out wrong - meant that all the moves I've learnt were from here, thanks to those videos, although I haven't managed to learn many...it was meant to be thank you not an insult.

If a tree falls in a forest with no one to witness it...do the other trees laugh?

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
smile Nay worries, thought it might've been a typo, just couldn't work out what it was meant to say smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Makomember
53 posts

Posted:
Let that be a lesson to me - don't thread at ridiculous times in the morning, no matter how bored you are at work!

ImbalanceGOLD Member
not different, just not the same
263 posts

Posted:
I hear this "wall" problem a lot from people. Heck I even get it myself once or twice a year. Just hit a point where nothing new seems to be coming along or you can't think of anything new to try.

I've learned to view these times not as an obstacle or as a bad thing, but as a chance to relearn what I already know and perfect it. If you are a beginner then there is no way you have perfect plane control yet, or that you've learned to put the moves you DO know in new places, etc.

So if you aren't getting new stuff, thats no problem, work on what you do know, perfect it, move it around, drill it, do it with your eyes closed, turn with it etc. I've seen people spin doing only 5 "moves" but do them so well that its more entertaining to watch them than some guy who knows 408935302587345 different moves and transitions but looks like a spazz.

I promise you if you drill what you do know you will find that even though you think you know a move, there are many more levels of comfort and smoothness out there to grasp with any one move. In fact, whenever I teach people i constantly tell them NOT to worry about getting new stuff all the time, instead concentrate on making what you do know beautiful, drill the basics, and "connect" with your poi more. The new stuff comes by itself usually once you stop trying to chase it down.

Happy spinning and keep practicing!!

I once learned every move that there was,
Every style, Every technique.
Then I woke up, and forgot it all,
So now I struggle to dream.

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
I actually hit the wall, and decided to take a break...and then when I pick it up in a few weeks I've found after doing a lot of reading/surfing, the wall is easily bypassed, but that is just me

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Great post there Mr.Imbalance. beerchug