Forums > Meet Others > THE FIRE TWIRLING LEAGUE WANTS YOU!!!

Login/Join to Participate

Robbie_Jaynewbie
7 posts

Posted:
Have you ever wanted to know how good you really are? or just wanted to find somewhere to show off thoes new move? well heres your chance E MAIL ME at (robbie@helpwizards.com.au)
well come on what are you wanting for?....

I am looking to start the first ever fire twirling league in the AUS. So pleas tell me if you want to be apart of this grate sport.

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
umm

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Robbie_Jaynewbie
7 posts

Posted:
OK townsville do u want somewhere to twirl well the PCYC at Akinvale is just about to do fire twirling on so if u want to know more ask me on robbie@helpwizards.com.au

I am looking to start the first ever fire twirling league in the AUS. So pleas tell me if you want to be apart of this grate sport.

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
This is an intro thread spot.....
There is a meet others thread spot down further.
Feel free to tell us all about yourself though. rolleyes

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
oops, i need to change my answer. Hi.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
This thread is so bogus.

frown

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

RustoBRONZE Member
47 posts

Posted:
So whats a league do anyhow confused does it involve uniforms, MMMM women in uniforms ubblove biggrin biggrin

Crime does not pay ... as well as politics.
A bowl of soup with some one you love is better than steak with some one you hate. Proverbs 15, 17

Robbie_Jaynewbie
7 posts

Posted:
Well my name is Robbie Jay and i have already started a fire twirling group called EMBER JAM and we have done one gig so far on maggie island of the cost of townsville QLD Aus.
and we r prefroming there again this saturday it should be good.
weavesmiley

Robbie_Jaynewbie
7 posts

Posted:
A League would mean groups from all over could challange one another to win prizes and other stuff and yes this could mean that uninforms could be used. So thats what i mean by A League smile

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
who would be your judges? I assume it wouold be like gymnastics / baton twirling.... the planning and logistics would be crazy.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Why on earth would you want to turn fire twirling into a competition?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
It does seem a bit odd... I recall something similar in a theoretic standpoint in discussions a while ago wink

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Durbs

Samoan Fire Knife?

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Meh - I still don't think it should be a competition.
Most of the fire knife videos i've seen i've kind of thought..."blah".
Don't get me wrong, it's a wicked art, but I don't see how the competition aspect improves it in any way.

Competitions leads to winners and losers, which tends to lead to egos and dissapointed people.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
take the WJF as an example - it completely stifles indivualism and artistic movement in place of pure technical juggling.
Yes, it can be argued it pushes juggling, certanly site-swap, but there are also several people pushing site-swap without the need to say "I'm better than him, i've got a medal". Plus there are alot of beautiful jugglers who wouldn't know a site-swap if it landed on their left foot, 2 on their right foot and another final one on their left wink

Alternatively you can try and judge people's artistic merits, and this is so personal, subjective and arbitary.
Who are you ("you" as in any judge) to say this person is a better spinner than the other, and what would this acheive anyway?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

jarleGOLD Member
Lv15 Ranger
1,489 posts

Posted:
I'm with Durbs on this. I'm against turning twirling into a competition sport, as it would remove any of the spirit it currently has. I admit that when I first got introduced to it I was competitive, I wanted to learn faster and do more than anyone else. However, I quickly discovered that it's more than that, it's more about enjoying the dance and losing yourself in the moment than trying to impress others.

I hope that actually makes sense to anyone beyond me...

Kupo!

Robbie_Jaynewbie
7 posts

Posted:
Durbs I can understand where your coming from but, this could also be a way to challge your self and other new off others in
competition is one of the best ways to learn. and I have looked at some of the training videos on this site and there already is a few pattenized moves so what i'd do for the judging is the group has 3 heats they can only prefrom moves that have had the go ahead and if they drop the staff or poi then a point is deducked from the final score. i know fire twirling is more about being a free sprit cos i go to fock festavales but this could be a way to find reconishion.

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
So peoples skill will be based on a fixed set of rules and how often they drop a staff.
Doesn’t sound like it will inspire creativity to me.

You could always have a buskers festival styles thing, let the public decide. But there is a whole side of poi and staff which has nothing to do with performance and audiences.

I think it is better left unjudged.

Maybe your league could encourage the sharing of skills and meeting up of different fire groups to work on performance together? Like a large scale show? I think that would be kind of fun? Especially if you come from an area with only a few spinners you would get a chance to work with new people.

You know challenge some boundaries or some thing?

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

Robbie_Jaynewbie
7 posts

Posted:
Well there are alot of things that needs to be worked though and haveing fixed move is one of them and so is the judging but iam thinking of promoting the subject its self as well as prizs i have been checking it out for insurance $600 for a group for a whole year that could be the prize and i can get sponsors on bord. I just think its a path whoth haveing a look at.

LizzybethLizzy hearts sunshine hoop
272 posts

Posted:
hhhm umm interesting idea...but i wouldnt go for it. i worry that we would all end up a bit like the brakedancers i know....where put downs are part of the art...poi is so happy... and we are all so chilled. id worry that it would cause friction.

if i could be a busy busy bee...

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Hi Robbie,
Welcome to HoP
Please don't be surprised if you don't get much of a positive response to your idea. The idea of competitions has been discussed on this forum a few times already (I'd do a search for you but I am in a big hurry today). Generally it is not something people go for. There is the video comp COL here of course but that does not sound like what you are suggesting.

If you want to connect with Australian community, here are some leads:
There is already an annual fire dance competition run by Three Worlds on the Gold Coast with a $1000 prize.. it is judged on more than technique though, it is as much about performance. I know cos I am one of the judges. There was one in Cairns few years ago.
You have missed Common Ground (Adelaide) and UberOz this year, but quite a few good fire twirlers will be teaching and playing at Woodford Folk Festival. We do a nightly show case, but not competitive at all. It is in the context of a circus workshops venue that also does aerials, acro, juggling etcetc.
A lot of good people go to Exodus Festival as well
Cheers
Gabe

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Durbs

Hence why the thread is bogus.

I'm with Durbs and Jarle.

Spinning is he one scene (aprt from glowsticking, I guess) where there is little agression when it comes to all of it. Adding a competition scene to it would ruin that.

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Nice response Gabe smile

x

Getting to the other side smile

Robbie_Jaynewbie
7 posts

Posted:
Yes thank you Gabe your response was in lighting. All i know is that my group EMBER JAM are pretty good not on a world scale but we do well an it would just be nice to have a little
competition to prove to our self that our training hasn't been
for nothing.

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Hey Robbie.

Well, at the risk of sounding patronising, it sounds like you guys are pretty new to twirling. You've done some gigs and learned some stuff and you want to know how you're going. Fair enough. But as you get to know the big world of fire/twirling, you'll see that people teach each other stuff, swap notes and tips and gear and tricks all the time. We do compare what we do with each other, find out how good we are, and are not, and what else there is to learn.. but 99% is not at all in the spirit of competition. And as many have said on this thread... that is part of the appeal.

Really, the most respected people, on and off HoP, are fantastic, brilliant twirlers, have done thousands of gigs etc, yet are not competitive at all. Have a look at Nick Woolsey and Yuta's Showdown in Tokyo vid that totally takes the piss out of the idea of competition.. as the Old Master goes to meet the Young Challenger and they end up having a laugh. That's the way it goes.

Plus most of us don't see each other as much as we'd like just to PLAY. All the bogus hocus of competitions would just make it HARDER to meet, not easier.

If you want to figure out where your group fits in the world of fire groups etc... get to know a few people. You will probably find that in terms of technique, you are WAY down the list. But in terms of providing a show that people want to see, and bookers will pay for, you might do just great! Enjoy yourselves, pay a LOT of attention to safety and hopefully we meet you soon somewhere. I am not kidding about Woodford by the way. There will be some amazing spinnners there, and a mentoring program for people like you who are starting to do move from learning to expressing themselves and doing shows.

Cheers

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
Hi Robbie- does EMBER JAM have a website? you guys on Youtube? if you want feedback on what you are doing so you can get better then post a video up in the Video section, and you will have a cross section of twirlers give you opinions on room for improvment. However if you already believe you are better than everyone, you hardly need a competition to prove it?

Your virtually saying that you want to create your own competition in order to win it (so your training wasnt for nothing). I dont think your gonna get many takers for that kind of competition.

Training is the goal - there is no end point. All of the most skilled twirlers I've met (and I've met a lot of VERY skilled twirlers) are still training hard and have been for years with a fairly internal focus. they don't seem to think theres a point where anything really gets 'proved'.

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

16.15.8GOLD Member
I can´t think therefore I´m not
291 posts

Posted:
AMEN! smile

"I don´t like shoes, definitely not spinning with shoes, they make my feet feel flat, my feet are not flat...."

MagicStuntsBRONZE Member
stranger and stranger
19 posts

Posted:
We have started a South African national competition. ubbidea There has been a competition for the performing arts juggle for years now and we've just convinced them to add a category for fire performance. cool The finals in April 2008 will be the first. This is allowing us to connect people, promote safety, encourage new young performers and expose our arts to the general public. Participants will be judged by the overall performance and audience response, not by technical moves - this is after all a performance art for most of us and a real crowd pleaser, so yes you'll lose points if you drop your staff eek or your costume's tatty and gain points if you look really proffesional and polished. A lot of people won't enter and our champion may not be the 'best' in the country, but that's not the point of it all. Even those not entering are already benefitting from the increased exposure, meeting new people, learning new stuff etc. etc. A 'competition' just has to be approached with the right spirit, that's all. biggrin

Got a brand new gallery

LooperGOLD Member
grasshopper in training
124 posts

Posted:
Hi Robbie,
I understand where you are coming from... I think when you are relatively new to something, it’s nice to gauge your progress.
I also agree with the others, in that competition takes all the fun out of it for me... after 6 years of twirling, I still love learning... and hope that there will always be many people out there that are 'better' then I am.... then the learning won't stop.
Also, I think for many of us, the people we meet through twirling are jsut as important as the actual movements... meeting in an open, friendly enviroment is more condusive to meeting some of the amazing people who twirl... competitions are not so good for this.
Anyway... I'm right round the corner from you. Might see you on the island sometime!
Just don't giggle at me if I drop something! wink
hug

There is a world made of air, one of earth and one of water.
And there is one made of fire, and all of them fight for supremacy. They are fighting now, in my head.