Forums > Social Chat > Battlestar Galactica (NO SPOILERS YET)

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Who loves battlestar galactica!?!?! I do, and whats more, I just saw Razor.

I loves it.

But I'm slightly concerned about plotholes concerning military tactics in the twelve colonies.

There are no lasers, fine, getting away from star trek is a good thing. Thou there are a good tactic in space I think, and would force the ships to be all pretty and chromed.

Why no anti-matter?

Why no ftl kamikazi tactics?

This all irritates me, but still, making starbuck a girl = genius. biggrin

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Everything is easier with the benefit of hind legs...

Because Galactica is a decommissioned model Battlestar, they're barely able to stock up on ballistic weaponary without having to adapt weapons to FTL capability. There's probably not many engineers left to develop FLT, only repair. Adapting FLT to weaponary might mean they'll have to cannibalise other ships in the fleet to do so, and with the fact they have a survival tally at the beginning of every episode, they're not willing to do that are they?

Starbuck = Girl. Yes genius, probably done to capitalise on the current vogue of girl-power heroines ala Xena Buffy and Chandler Bing. Plus the world isn't ready for Richard Hatch and Dirk Benedict getting it on...

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

PinkNigelPinker than thou
336 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Neon_Shaolin

Plus the world isn't ready for Richard Hatch and Dirk Benedict getting it on...

That would certainly liven it all up...

Can we avoid spoilers in this thread please? I don't got telly, so I'm catching up on DVD when the series become cheap enough to warrant, so I'm just about to start series 2...

A wise man once said: "You have two ears and one mouth, therefore you should shut the censored up and listen" (though, to be fair, he might not've put it _quite_ like that..)

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
I told her to put a SPOILER WARNING on this thread but NOOOOOOO(!)

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
There are no frakking spoilers yet!

So, yeah, maybe they would use a spare FTL engine, from colonial one, (weren't they carrying a couple in the pilot movie?) or cannabalised from a raider / small fleet ship.

If you're being attacked by three basestars and all you need to do is sacrifice three remote controlled FTL bomb ships, instead of letting them waste your viper pilots and nuke you, what would you do?

Not only that, but with the advent of FTL, you really should have come up with FTL bomb tactics, right, right after the first military commander found out about it.

1) FTL + Bomb, = exploding bomb inside basestar.

2) FTL + asteroid, = asteroid 'inside' basestar / asteroid far too close to planet or asteroid moving very fast AT basestar.

3) FTL + small ship, but FTL drive geared up for big ship = getting the small ship in close, then jumping away taking a portion of the basestar with you, to the center of the sun or whatnot.

4) FTL + nuke = Nuke very close to basestar, too close to destroy.

and so on, maybe.

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
razor premieres in 5 days frown

and now the dilemma tongue

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

336 posts

Posted:
 Written by : mcp

There are no frakking spoilers yet!

Thank'ee

Written by : mcp

A whole bunch of possible FTL tactics

Yes, absolutely that's what you'd do, and so would the cylons, and then the whole thing would be over very very quickly indeed and there'd be no series.

***SEASON 1 SPOILER ALERT****

The cylons do at least use some FTL tactics in series 1 (or so we are led to believe) with the "lost" ship that reappears and someone has to make the heart-rending decision to blow it up cos they decide it's really a kamikaze bomb decoy cylon ship of death and destruction (or some such, it's been a while since I watched that episode...)

A wise man once said: "You have two ears and one mouth, therefore you should shut the censored up and listen" (though, to be fair, he might not've put it _quite_ like that..)

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
*loves Battlestar* Looking forward to Razor and the following series! biggrin

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
Is this a follow on from the TV series recently released?

I think that was the last thing I watched on TV that I thoroughly enjoyed.

I hope so - that was so cool! smile

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
 Written by: nigel

Written by: mcp

A whole bunch of possible FTL tactics

Yes, absolutely that's what you'd do, and so would the cylons, and then the whole thing would be over very very quickly indeed and there'd be no series.

The cylons do at least use some FTL tactics in series 1 (or so we are led to believe) with the "lost" ship that reappears and someone has to make the heart-rending decision to blow it up cos they decide it's really a kamikaze bomb decoy cylon ship of death and destruction (or some such, it's been a while since I watched that episode...)

Except up to this point the cylons have been shown to be dumb as posts. Thou they have slightly better range on their FTL drives, and mechanised robot warriors, they don't have any other significant weapon or technological advantages. (Apart from the hacking and the reincarnation) If anything, it's easier to destroy a basestar than a battlestar.

Clearly the cylons have never watched the matrix. Or are just utterly lacking in creativity and innovation.

Anyway, I think perhaps that having a FTL drive on a ship, puts out some sort of 'effect' that stops FTL jumps in the close vicinity. That would account for the lack of tactics surrounding the FTL drive.

Wouldn't stop a FTL'd asteroid smacking into your planet / basestar thou. But we don't know at what relative velocity things come out of an FTL jump at, so maybe that tactic wouldn't work.

My favourate new tactic however: Get a ship that's entirely one big FTL drive, and can land in an atmosphere. Then, find your nearest cylon homework, land your ship on it, and 'accidentally' FTL jump it to the center of the nearest sun. That'd be good fun.

Yeah those series one tactics are more like just sabotage, they rig up the Olympia Carrier with nukes, and then send it back. It's not jumped particularly close, or directly into the battlestar. (No doubt to give them some time for plot)

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
When the old battlestar galactica was released it was my first introduction to girls fancying TV stars.
eek

Non-Https Image Link

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
I freaking love the series.

I didn't think anyone else did.

I totaly think it PWNs Lost *and* Heroes.

Fo' Real.

biggrin

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
And why, if they're starving for real food half the time, do they not harvest the dead cylon raiders and use them for meat?

They are descended from humans after all, the proteins must be compatible...

Hmmmmm, cylon longpig....

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
OK. I need some help.

I have never seen Battlestar Galactica and I have been told that I should acquire the series. The only way I have at my immediate disposal of doing so is to download it from the iTunes Music Store, which I don't mind at all.

Now, say I do this...

Where the hell do I start?

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Doc Lightning

OK. I need some help.

I have never seen Battlestar Galactica and I have been told that I should acquire the series. The only way I have at my immediate disposal of doing so is to download it from the iTunes Music Store, which I don't mind at all.

Now, say I do this...

Where the hell do I start?

Good question.

There was the original 70s series and the remake which is what most people in this thread are referring to

In the remake, there is the Battlestar Galactica miniseries, and then followed by seasons 1-3:

Episode listing of miniseries and seasons, and not a Rickroll or game link

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I watched the pilot/miniseries as a film or maybe two films. It was a long time ago.

At that point, I thought maybe that twelve 'models' applied to all of the cylon 'machines', not just the ones that are super fit actresses.

10,530 posts

Posted:
I watched the whole three hours of the miniseries all the way through in one biggrin. I was hooked from the start. biggrin

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
So we're starting with the miniseries, are we?

-Mike

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Hmm. Not on iTunes after all...

Mayhaps I need to get it somewhere. I suppose SOMEONE in New York City has it... And they're probably open 24 hours somewhere close to me. shrug The problem is it's a bleedin' needle in a haystack to find.

-Mike

Jingleberrynewbie
1 post

Posted:
Play.com had series 1 - 3 and the mini series for £50 although with the current exchange rate it may be a wee bit expensive for you.

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
that was frakking unbelievable

so amazing

eek

10,530 posts

Posted:
Jeebus.

Anyone know any torrent sites where the new season premiere is available? I want it so bad I can taste it.

That being said, I'll settle for streaming smile

-edit-

Never mind! Found one! biggrin
EDITED_BY: Fine_Rabid_Dog (1207409420)

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
I am about to download episode one of season 4, its a goodun you say?

All i shall say about the season to come is......5th? biggrin

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

10,530 posts

Posted:
I'd like to say I know who it is... but its blatantly not, what with plot twists and stuff.

But ZOMG! Suspense!

I haven't watched the episode yet 'cos I'm catching up with the previous episodes with my girlfriend biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
FRD sounds like a time for a marathon. the next one's out in... under 48 hrs biggrin biggrin biggrin

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
Watched it, I'll be honest, it was good, but I wasn't overly wow'ed, and plus starbuck really annoyed me in that episode. I still think big boy adama is the coolest thing since.

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

10,530 posts

Posted:
We watched the miniseries on sunday. We're half way through season 2 now... I can't wait for her to see Pegasus biggrin

Wooo! Next ep! What day does it air? what time? I need my fix now now now!

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
One of my favourite parts in the whole series.

NB DO NOT WATCH IF YOU HAVENT SEEN PAST THE END OF SEASON 2!!!

EDITED_BY: PyroWill (1207917317)

336 posts

Posted:
Dude, did you read the "no spoilers yet" bit in the thread title?

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
Sorry I should have put a note on here, although I think FRD's mention of the Pegasus was a bit of a spoiler too, anyway post edited, but I've left the video up there (with warnings) for the fans out there of this awesome part of the series!

FearpigSILVER Member
member - tee hee "member"
279 posts

Posted:
BSG is awesome...
Unfortunately one side effect seems to be that I now say "Frack" every now and then! Its like after FireFly / Serenity I couldn't stop saying "Shiney"!

"Whats wrong with the cat?" - Mrs Schrödinger

Page: