PinkNigelPinker than thou
336 posts

Posted:
Presumably there is some sort of fixing to stop the wick sliding off the ends?

A wise man once said: "You have two ears and one mouth, therefore you should shut the censored up and listen" (though, to be fair, he might not've put it _quite_ like that..)

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
Are these the same Isis staffs sold on Salza?

And a couple of questions:
-Do you intend to cap the ends somehow?
-what is the actual length of it?
-any good for contact? (I cant quite tell how flush the grip is to the staff)

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
well, Im a novice to staff in particular, but I do love building things like this.

From the different staff building articles Ive been reading, having about 1 foot of wood on each end will help to add weight plus diffuse the transfer of heat throughout the staff. It would obviously need to be a snug fit. If you cant find a diameter pole that fits perfectly, then take a slightly smaller one and wrap masking tape around to adjust the fit so that its snug.

Different articles have mentioned using metal plugs, but haven't specified what those plugs are or how they are attached. I would think it would be a good idea though, so you dont char the wood pole inside (especially if it has tape wrapping). My inclination would be to weld, but that's a pain unless you already own the equipment. Maybe if you could thread the inside of the staff and then screw on a solid cap of some sort.

eh...contact mcp. I have been devouring her site tutorials and book. Im sure she would have some excellent ideas for finishing it.

Unfortunately, with this prototype, you have already fixed the wick on it, so Im guessing there is a screw of some type going through the staff. If you make beta model, slip the wood in first so that the fixture you are using has some extra bite and wont run the risk of loosening in the staff.

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
Heh. See? I told you I was novice to staff. smile However, you did have me thinking: How far down are the drill holes on the staff that the rope runs through? From the diagram it looks fairly close to the end. But I dont know if that is to scale.

What if the holes could be set back, say 2 inches, then a short length of dowel could be inserted in the end, in front of the rope without interfering with each other? Say at about 1 1/2 inch. Then finish the cap with the washer and nut.

btw: thanks for the info on the washer and nut. That helps me in my own design plans.

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
Ive been playing with that this evening. If the dowel is fairly snug to begin with, and you use a screw to attach a washer, it seems that the screw is exerting pressure from the inside to the perimeter, effectively wedging it against the outer tubing.

I have had to use a clamp and really yank hard to pop the dowel out. Of course, heat may change how effective that is, once the metal expands slightly.

But if the holes are 1.5 cm down, then the point is kind of moot, isn't it? I would think you would need a bit more room for any plug like that to gain enough traction.

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
Is there a way that you can tighten the braid at the end so that it closes in around the opening?

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
Hmm. running out of ideas then. Only other thing that occurs to me is to tie a knot on a length of kevlar rope, run the loose end through the tubing, pull it tight as possible, and tie another knot at the far end of the tube. Cut, PVC, and it acts like a plug.
kind of like

(knot)88-------(rope running through tubing)--------88(knot)

Stupid waste of expensive rope though.

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
yes. That is what I meant. But the more I think about it, the less I like it. So just ignore my ramblings. rolleyes

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
Well, I decided to go buy the materials yesterday to make a better staff than the first one I made. If I can figure out how to do the barrel knot, maybe I will experiment with your design and how to plug it efficiently. (THAT may take a while smile)

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
not yet. I've got the materials but havent built anything yet. I've been practicing my skills primarily rather than building.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
That's one sexy looking staff - hence when it comes to professional performance you do not want the staff to burn for ever. But certainly a solid, bright flame is what you're looking for.

I'm still concerned about rope-staff and floor-drops, please keep us posted on the long term development...

*toggles thread*

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
strugz has loads of staffs like this he does the rope wicking using makrame (sp?) knotting rope is push in the end of the tube and a hole in the side of the tube has the other end so there is no metal fixings to catch on. His are still running to I think. but I have to agree rope wicks are nice as it's easier to manipulate wick length and keep it tidy wink nicely done

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.