Forums > Other Toys > Fitting stilts to a growing kid

Login/Join to Participate

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Okay, we use peg stilts that are fixed at the support pieces. My son *loves* stilt walking however he is growing insanely right now (about 3 inches in 2 months and still going). He wants me to make him new ones or adjust them, but I know too much adjusting will ruin the integrity of the wood and I don't want to make him a set to have him outgrow them in a month.

Any advice on adjusting them without wrecking the integrity or making them unsafe?

Thanks! beerchug

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
cant you make a metal tube support kinda thing, drill some holes in one tube and get one of those brass pressy buttons....like on an umbrella (ella ella ella eh eh eh eh) im not really sure how it would be done, but since youve made stilts before im sure it shouldnt be too hard.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
Do your peg stilts have a calf plate at the back or the front of the calf?
I have found that stilts with the plate at the back of the calf and a strap round the front tend to fit a broder range of size. The design i'm thinking of is kind of like the dura stilts.

Also I think aluminum stilts would probably lend them selves to ajustment better than wooden ones?

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Blueberry, front plate. I have no clue how to make aluminum ones. Herm.

Rellizate, I told my son duct tape as per your suggestion. He's hiding in his room now. lol I've had crutches loosen on me so I am a little worried about that one, since you know, he is my only child. I know I could make another like him and all but...well...
We'll try the duct tape first wink

Poje, I think when I figure out what you're getting at it will make sense. But until then...huh? wink Metal is something I don't have the capability to work with at the mo....hm...

Pele

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
810 posts

Posted:
Ok so metal is not an option.

I have seen slightly adjustable wodden peg stilts befor. The side post with the calf plate on it had multipule pre-drilled holes that the calf plate could be screwed on to using two fairly thick looking bolts with wingnuts on them.

I would recomend using thicker wood if you were planing on doing this though beacuse the more holes you put in a peice the weaker it will get. Also the ones i have seen have only had three differnt positions, i think if you were to go above that it could get too weak.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
you can always secure the foot plate with a secondary bracket either underneath ot one each side. another alternative depending on the thickness of the stilts is to put a bolt through the centre of the length of wood so stop the foot plate slipping down, you create a kind of "step" underneath it.

Hard to describe what I mean in text..

any holes left by moving screws etc fill with an epoxy filler so the structure remains solid throughoout. and ensure any adjustment is a comfortable distance from old holes you can often turn the long peice of wood 90 degrees and re fix so holes can't join up.

that's what I learnt from my grandad who was a carpenter with regard to repositioning load bearing wooden poles. should work with stilts. hug

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
810 posts

Posted:
Ooo those are great tips

*puts in to brain for later use

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
works with staffs too ubblol

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Rock on... and as soon as I wrap my brain I think I will be combining them and it should be awesome!

Thanks all! I knew I hung here for a reason! wink
Now my son can stop complaining

bounce <= happy parent

beerchug

Pele

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
get him some powerisers

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Rellizate, my fear is that the pressure of his weight being against the one with holes would cause it to snap. And even if the support pole is fine, any part of the stilt breaking wouldn't be good. Perhaps with less holes? 10 I think would really compromise the strength.

Poje..if anyone in this house were to get them, it would be me first! tongue lol

Pele

lampwortroynewbie
32 posts

Posted:
Why not tackle the problem from another angle. Decide what is the maximum height of stilt your son will want to use regularly and make him a new pair of that height with foot places large enough for his probable final foot size. Then as he grows you will only need to possibly extend the length above the footplate as his leg grows. This should be no problem as it does not take any weight. Most people will never want to use stilts higher than 5ft and anyone over 6yrs can manage that height. Have a look at www.youtube.com and do a search for 'bicycle 13' and see a 6yr old girl on stilts that are higher than she is. She looks to be enjoying herself

_VT_SILVER Member
Your Face!
1,173 posts

Posted:
How abot when you make the new holes you fill the old ones with bits of dowel rod?
Non-Https Image Link

Heroism on command, senseless violence, and all the loathsome nonsense that goes by the name of patriotism - how passionately I hate them!
-Albert Einstein-

Peanut butter... It fills the cracks of the soul! -Paul Blart-