jemima (jem)SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
Hello people wavehello

I'll be scuba diving in Sharm el-Sheikh in early January with the family...ya har!

I need to assure my mother that its going to be excessivily fun, safe etc. (She is very skilled at finding negative reviews rolleyes)

If anyone has been before and has any tips, advice, pros and cons etc, I'd be very greatful smile.

Were staying in an apartment, so I'd be interested how easy it is to 'self cater' ubblol

Thank you
smile

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
That's awesome!!!!

The biggest piece of advice that I've taken from my friends who have gone (most of them have gone to Cairo for the bellydance festivals) is that staying with the males of your party is *highly* recommended, or at very least with your group. Especially down the shopping lanes.

The one who did not heed this found herself in a very bad predicament that I'll not get into. She's since returned and following this piece of advice has not had many issues.

My friend Denise has a sensative stomach and warns against some of the street food vendors. wink

Have fun and be smart! But mostly...have fun!!!!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
You'll see people abusing that poor reef; standing on the coral, snapping bits off, generally trying to destroy it, so to see any decent bits of it you have to get around the back where it's relatively pristine.

When I was there a couple of years ago there were loads of informal little restaurants on the beachfront which acted on an honesty system; you order your food, keep a note of how much it costs and leave the appropriate money in a box. It's a great system, but very open to abuse also, so don't.

There are supermarkets, but frankly these little restaurants are so fantastic and cheap it's not worthwhile bothering to self cater. If you stick to places where they cook the food there and then you'll be find, but if you have a meal out in a restaurant where they have warm buffets you will contract something. Falafel=good, bain marie=bad.

*Everyone* will try and sell you papyrus, but usually it's banana leaf which dries out and breaks after a short while, so if you see something you like then get it but haggle like hell as it's not what they say it is. Also, many of the inscriptions are dubious; if you can read heiroglyphs (I can, or at least could at the time, boast boast), then it's completely obvious that most of the stuff is completely made up, even to the squiggles on the banana leaf.

You won't get hasselled nearly as much in Sharm as you would in Cairo, but the local men will still see you as an easy lay and try to get in there. If you have a male relative, as Pele says, take them with you and, while they don't get too upset about legs on display as they're used to it, if you're not on the beach keep your shoulders covered.

It is a great country with very friendly people, treat them with respect and they'll give it back.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
I'm actually going to Hurghada, my mistake, but I assume is quite similar?

Ooh, thanks for the advice, I'll keep my eye out for Falafel then. Ohh, I'm looking forward to trying new foods now ubbrollsmile, and it being hot on my birthday for once!!

We're only recreational divers, so we probably won’t be anywhere deep enough to damage the poor corals ubblove

Hehe, displaying my legs is a rarity these days, so I'll probably be ok.

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
Well, I'm back and it was like we were dreaming for a week, and I've just woke up.

Apartment, diving facilities and shopping were all brilliant. biggrin

We ate out most nights, and just got bits and bobs for breakfasts and snacks. The lunches on the boat were very nice especially the sausages. I don't think we managed to try Falafel.

Never assume
Always Acknowledge