Forums > Advanced Staff moves > advanced staff juggling ... let´s go mad !!

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
entheogenGOLD Member
173 posts

Posted:
I think its time to restart the staff juggling thread in the advanced forum.

Since quite a few ideas were mentioned in the old thread that don`t seem to really fit in a beginners section.

I would really appreciate if people would post there ideas.
But do me a favor and make a distinction between claiming
to really have a move and random ideas.
it will help reduce misunderstandings
wink
And it will give us a better over view where people are.

To get you started :
I was playing around with a lot of 531522 variations

one is (i think) quite interesting
you know the one throw were you throw a staff as a waist cross and catch it with the other hand on the opposite side of the waist
use it as the 3
it is fun biggrin

'There are two mantras in life, yum and yuk. I choose yum.'

KonstantinGOLD Member
journeyman
66 posts

Posted:
Ouch. Shoulder injuries're becoming so common they might need their own thread.

I'm mostly looking for good weather or big enough room to make video.

JohnnyFettuciniBRONZE Member
Mr Pasta
44 posts

Posted:
Yeah the classic shoulder injury... I think everybody has them at some point or another smirk I busted mine up pretty good about a year ago. In sweden we have something called "voltaren" tongue2 Use alot of that and take it down a notch.

Looking forward to seeing more footage! Keep em coming and tell all of your staff juggling friends to shoot more awesome footage!

/Johnny

borganiqueBRONZE Member
154 posts

Posted:
pre staff juggling injury. missed the jumping bit of jumping off a sanddune and landed on my face and shoulder, 3 years still recurring now, so looks like i've got it for the long haul.
had a few good club juggles the last few days after taking 2 weeks off, easing back in

artnonstopmember
28 posts

Posted:
JohnnyFettucini hi! how many time we have to send you our video? we are prepare some interesting tricks and combo spessial for you, i read in this post that the last date is 30 september? is it true??? please answer)) thanks

Mr Pasta
44 posts

Posted:
@Artnonstop!

Hey! Yes the closing date is 30 september! Maybe it will be moved to oktober 31 if necessary smile

Looking forward to seeing your video!!

Leo Holstistranger
1 post

Posted:
Hey,

did you decide to move the deadline? I've been hoping to get something new filmed for you, but between work, a new puppy and being sick... Haven't had the time to do it.

So, if you move the deadline I'll send you something smile

- Leo -

ps. first post here, so here's an introductory video:

artnonstopmember
28 posts

Posted:
JohnnyFettucini i hope that you say`s seriosly about move the deadline, because we need enough more time, please move the deadline to 31 october it will be the perfect becuase we need some more time to do the video/ thanks

Mr Pasta
44 posts

Posted:
To everyone interested in StaffOnly2!

Yes the deadline has been moved to october 31!

To all who wish to participate please confirm this by mail so I can keep track of everybody smile ( sineprots@hotmail.com )

Thank you and lots of love!

KonstantinGOLD Member
journeyman
66 posts

Posted:
Welcome Leo, nice to see you here

It's good you moved the deadline

Zyx_uastranger
7 posts

Posted:
Hi all.
I am from Ukraine, Kharkov.
I have meet Konstatin ang enjoyed 5 staff juggling with Leo at KFF this year.
I started juggling from KFF`09 where I have met Sebastian Berger and he showed what is really cool )) now I am practising 3 staff at most ang slowly 4.
I will try to do video before deadline too...

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
Hey Zyx

Nice to hear from you smile

its great to hear there are some new staff jugglers coming onto the scene, its very important that we keep this thread going beacuse they are so few of us juggling staffs in the juggling world and this thread is a great place to keep each other inspired

KonstantinGOLD Member
journeyman
66 posts

Posted:
Hey Zyx
Hope to meet next year in Kiev too

Zyx_uastranger
7 posts

Posted:
Glad to hear you, Tim.

Some cuts from my training this autumn.

And I think siteswap 12345 is one of the best pattern to line up most of beginner patterns. But it is absent on the video. I developed it later.

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
i have no idea what 12345 is and im not a fan of siteswaps with staffs but its our differences thats makes us interesting after all wink

nice work on the training video.....but it seems you are missing one of the most important beginner patterns of them all, the "french cascade" is a standard three staff cascade but with a figure of eight after each catch, it looks great when its clean and really keeps the spirit of the staff spinning in the juggling if that makes sense?

Zyx_uastranger
7 posts

Posted:
Thanks Tim. I know it.

Looks like it will be good idea to make video with staffs about siteswap. How do you think?

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
Yes I think there would be lots people interested, it might just help get some more club jugglers interested in proper juggling wink

Zyx_uastranger
7 posts

Posted:
for me, any thing which we do with staff, when it is catched in 3 staff cascade, it is just '2' in siteswap.
and seteswap of that cascade will be '52'
there are tooooooooo much thing we can do in '2' (in siteswap 'two' - just catching some time or do similar short things). we need just to have enough speed to do it.

Zyx_uastranger
7 posts

Posted:
Okay, guys... I hope I will have time to do it soon...
Also siteswaps are usable for 2 staffs too.

chemairoSILVER Member
person who like to spin all gears
62 posts

Posted:
@Zyx_ua Why do you think everything we do with 3 staff is only a 2?

Because i am doing always throwable patterns.
If you would really throw only a 2 in a cascade - you would just fail.

You know that the rhytm and the height of the throw can be choose by everyone depending on his size of a cascade?

And the siteswap 2 is for me some time for spinning like 1-Beat and so on. Don't know that we have got another site-swap notation then ball or club juggler.

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
this is one on my issues with site-swaps,

there is always lots of confusion and debate as to what each notations means, this seems counter intuitive as site-swaps were created to explain and share tricks not to confuse or divide opinions,

another reason i dont like site-swaps is they seem to create sporadic patterns where one or more prop is high in the air whilst the juggler frantically tries to do something quickly with a 1 or a 2 underneath, and especially with staffs where the height of 3&4 is so high the crowd often misses the lower part

whilst i think variety of both opinion and tricks are very valuable i also think people should focus a bit less on site-swaps, and more on a broader approach to staff juggling

backcrosses anyone? smile

KonstantinGOLD Member
journeyman
66 posts

Posted:
well, 3 isn't that high if it's a normal cascade throw

it's actually interesting for me to define staff throws by site-swaps, it sometimes helps to understand pattern better and remove empty time, for example if you made 5 height while cycling 3's it gives plenty time to so smth else with other staffs.
and you don't need to throw 5 in a pattern that can be done with 4

I think it's important to fix height/number of spins to a number then you can really use site-swaps

I do practice backcrosses but they're far from perfect still

Zyx_uastranger
7 posts

Posted:
@ chemairo
I meaned:
Just cascade - we do throw from one hand to another, it is 3 moves per temp.
French cascade - we do throw and figure of eight, and it is 6 moves per temp.
so it is 32 (or 52? how will be more correctly?)
where '2' is some short move with staff in our case it is figure of 8.
'And the siteswap 2 is for me some time for spinning like 1-Beat and so on.' - yeah, thats right.

Sorry, looks like my describtion were too tangled...
EDITED_BY: Zyx_ua (1287016922)

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
hehe holding the object or not throwing an object for a beat in siteswap is 0 isnt it? surely a 2 is a non-crossing throw straight up, a 1 is a slammed cross...

I reckon if you start re-defining siteswap you will lose any jugglers you have reading your threads.

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
Siteswap confuses me enough without additional staff notations eek

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

chemairoSILVER Member
62 posts

Posted:
@ Pyrolific a 0 is a empty hand. a 2 is holding an object, but a 2x for example is a throw to the other hand. a 1 is a direct fast pass, but a 1x is a small throw.

Maybe you can look here.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siteswap

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I'm pretty sure a throw to the same hand is a 4 (2 in 1 hand for juggling 4 balls)

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Yup, 3 = crossing throw, 4 = throw to same hand, 2 = hold object and 0 = empty hand

Generally you won't use the 'x' stuff until you're doing synch patterns (throwing with both hands at the same time)

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
yeah cool thanks for the clarification - I think all even numbers are throws to the same hand, the height varies tho eg 4 is lower than 6 etc..

I dont see why clubs siteswap is any different to staff siteswap - just use clubs notation...

J

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

chemairoSILVER Member
62 posts

Posted:
club siteswaps are for me the same like staff siteswaps. But you can look at Diabolo siteswap and this is a bit different because there every throw change the side and a 1 is a sun.

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Yeah the stuff I posted is 2 hand siteswap so the same for clubs and staffs. Diabolo uses 1 hand siteswap (one string strictly speaking).

Theres also 4 hand siteswap used for passing but I won't confuzzle you with that!

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

Page: ...