Forums > Advanced Staff moves > advanced staff juggling ... let´s go mad !!

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
entheogenGOLD Member
173 posts

Posted:
I think its time to restart the staff juggling thread in the advanced forum.

Since quite a few ideas were mentioned in the old thread that don`t seem to really fit in a beginners section.

I would really appreciate if people would post there ideas.
But do me a favor and make a distinction between claiming
to really have a move and random ideas.
it will help reduce misunderstandings
wink
And it will give us a better over view where people are.

To get you started :
I was playing around with a lot of 531522 variations

one is (i think) quite interesting
you know the one throw were you throw a staff as a waist cross and catch it with the other hand on the opposite side of the waist
use it as the 3
it is fun biggrin

'There are two mantras in life, yum and yuk. I choose yum.'

IrinusBRONZE Member
enthusiast
222 posts

Posted:
I can imagine you jumping from side to side in a Rastelli stylee smile I think you should do that for all your tricks.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I agree it would be amusing but 5 staff mills eek
how about 4 though wink the problems with staff is the width of the pattern even a boston mess would be a bit tricky with all staffs face on.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
ubblol

well, i don't reckon a 4 staff mills (or even a 5) need be any wider than a three - a 5 ball mills has the same catching width as a 3 ball mills when done really well. but keeping 5 staffs up. argh. as sebastian has seen, the pattern is well hard, especially in the wind in scotland in winter. argh.

incidentally, we have loads of new passing patterns, but we're not telling you what they are tongue

ubblol

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
damn you and your masonic passing techniques ubblol

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

bastlGOLD Member
123 posts

Posted:
 Written by: bluecat

well, i don't reckon a 4 staff mills (or even a 5) need be any wider than a three - a 5 ball mills has the same catching width as a 3 ball mills when done really well.

hm i disagree, five ball mills is a "bit" broader than a 3 ball mills, just because there are more objects going up and down, which need their own thickness more space...
staffs are a bit broader than staffs (especially in wall plane)....so i still think the pattern would be broader...even i don´t want to attemt it, otherwise there are hyperlights now wink

but keeping 5 staffs up. argh. as sebastian has seen, the pattern is well hard, especially in the wind in scotland in winter. argh.

ubblol but it looks genius when the wind cuts in, in the "right" moment ubblol

the passings are kick-ass for sure wink -huhu big mystery

_told the fishfable to wes peden
_heard gloria gaynors "i will survive" 3 times live allready....in the same 20 min performance!

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
 Written by: bastl

well, i don't reckon a 4 staff mills (or even a 5) need be any wider than a three - a 5 ball mills has the same catching width as a 3 ball mills when done really well.

hm i disagree, five ball mills is a "bit" broader than a 3 ball mills, just because there are more objects going up and down, which need their own thickness more space...
staffs are a bit broader than staffs (especially in wall plane)....so i still think the pattern would be broader...even i don´t want to attemt it, otherwise there are hyperlights now wink

um.. no - a really good 5 ball mills has all the balls landing essentially in the middle of the pattern - they don't need any extra space cause they all come down at different times. they are thrown from a little wider, it's true, but...

not that i'm saying 5 staffs would be easy... i did have a quick go at 4 staff mills last night to see what could be done, and managed 6 catches, but my left had doesn't like the pattern change (inside to outside) so i don't reckon i'll be getting it any time soon.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I would have thought the pattern for 5 would have to be 2 staff widths plus a gap to allow space for rotation. minus the distance from the wick to the grip x 2 (starting to sound mathematical like richee now ubblol )

entheogenGOLD Member
173 posts

Posted:
????

hey bluecat just checking
but when you speak about your staffs that your juggling with you mean your itsybitsy ones... seen on the last vodka and orange video, or

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
no - my ultralights (tm) wink

90cm, about 2g tongue

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:

no - my ultralights (tm) wink

90cm, about 2g tongue

eek wow where did you get them from wink even at 200g I's be happy ubblol

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
Ah cumon - spill on the passing patterns peeps!!
Cant wait to see what comes out of this collaberation
UberPassing - MMMmmmm
I NEED to find someone who can pass staff.
Maybe i'll have to teach Jill (Nocturnal-Sunshine) some staff - she's well into the club passing and were starting a new collaberative project in NZ starting in a week. I might even be arsed to put some vid stuff on here....MMMmmm....maybe!!
By the way Rob - how have you constructed your practice staff - when I get me van im gonna make some of those - maybe for the NZJC - and tech some passing there
Peas out To all and especially Bastl and Bluey
Respekt

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

bastlGOLD Member
123 posts

Posted:
yo dude,
hows new zeeland ?
coming to europe in summer ? -would love to have you in vienna for some time.

.. spit out some of the patterns, ...they are a bit weired, loads of bodyt throw passings, with some plane swopings and face catches wink
they need quite some cleaning up, but they are too good ubbrollsmile
take care & make vids biggrin

_heard gloria gaynors "i will survive" 3 times live allready....in the same 20 min performance!

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
ubblol

they are fractioanlly lighter than my juggling balls, so i guess that makes them 60 or 70g to be precise... i got a pic of them here:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=632003&l=ec013&id=680065933

light aluminium, tiny gauge, with a sliver of carpet and a wodge of foam. and neoprene grips smile

none of that side to side passing rob, its really, really 2006. sort it out...

wink

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I take it then they are not wooden cored and the foam is designed to take the impact if dropped.. nice wink

*looks for foam in southampton*

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
they are hollow alu tube cores, and the foam is insulating foam for pipes, available in Bee and Coo.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
wink I saw that when I went paint shopping. I shall be down there again soon you can bet on that biggrin

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Hey guys

Wanting some advice from those of you who can run mills mess.

I'm starting from cold (not transferring in) with the underarm throw. That throw and the next I'm getting fine but I can't figure the last throw out (the one which takes you back to the arms crossed position).

I catch the staff underarm and cary it round, and the carry makes the staff continue rotating, so that when I'm in the position to throw it my hand is pointing straight down (almost as if I'm doing reubenstiens with clubs) and the staff flops out of the back so theres nowhere near enough height to keep the pattern going.

So, do you stop the spin so your hand is the correct way round, or did you just keep practicing that awkward throw?

Thanks!

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

bastlGOLD Member
123 posts

Posted:
 Written by: willworkforfoodjnr

I'm starting from cold (not transferring in) with the underarm throw. That throw and the next I'm getting fine but I can't figure the last throw out (the one which takes you back to the arms crossed position).

hello
sorry i can´t fully follow your description of mills....
BUT when you start with the underarm throw, than it is the 4th throw which brings you to crossed arms on the other side!

when i first translated mills mess for staff i started, by juggling it with balls, but trying to make the pattern as slow, high, and broad as possible...always try to imagine that you full size staffs have to fit in wink

and yes, all the staffs make direction changes after every chatch...
mills is very good to teach you about making patterns broad and low..which for me is the most compftable way to juggle 3 staffs..

by the way: when you translate 3 object patterns to 3 staff...never accept awkward throws..make them nice and easy...3 staff keeps you busy anyway wink

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Nice one bastl, the direction change thing has explained it for me, although I might have to try the other version at some point too!

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
is anyone going to paris for the bcc convention?

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
me

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
good,anyone else?

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
Below is a new video,It was filmed last summer but has taked forever to get online,the tricks need a lot of work but i hope you might like the direction im going with the footwork??

Also a very short run of four staffs.

https://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?doci...h&plindex=0

Sorry about the quality by the way redface

bastlGOLD Member
123 posts

Posted:
 Written by: mcp

me

^ the other one

IrinusBRONZE Member
enthusiast
222 posts

Posted:
Nice vid tim. I'm a big fan of footwork smile I also really like the version of the 3 staff shower that you do on this video, I guess its a bit more traditional than the other one, but I like it.

Only three catches off a 4-staff shower qualify eek ubbloco wow, very cool! Can't wait to see it run a bit longer (as it undoubtedly will) in the next video smile

tim_marstonaddict
614 posts

Posted:
Irinus,thanks man,i hardly train the 4 staffs cos im resting my shoulder,i have qualified it at night a few times but not on tape yet.
as for the footwork its where all my thoughts are right now,it gives my shouder a rest and gets the blood flowing on these cold days!
seb see you there man and check out gloria gaynors "honey bee"its perfect old school disco
hug

bastlGOLD Member
123 posts

Posted:
yo i will check it out, and gonna be good to finallz see you again smile

wicked video, i like how you realised your ideas about bodymovment and bodythrows...rocks. looking forward to see you feetcatches live!

have a good one, and see you in a week !!hugubbrollsmile hug

entheogenGOLD Member
173 posts

Posted:
Hey Tim,

I really like the ideas you've got with the footwork, but I think you really should try learning to catch them in the air, or to kick them up before they actually touch the floor. Probably will never work with the stepping over trick (such a shame really), but the rest of them should all be possible. Otherwise you'll be seriously restricted where you can use any of them depending on what kind of floor you're playing on, and having to skip them all would just suck.

It'll be a lot harder in the beginning, but worth it. Especially cause then you can kick them up immediatly which has a lot more dynamic.

IrinusBRONZE Member
enthusiast
222 posts

Posted:
Aah yes, a very topical point. Looks like we (my uni juggling society) will be cancelling a fire-gig we had booked for next week due to such concerns over the football pitch we were due to play on. frown

bastlGOLD Member
123 posts

Posted:
yo tim
woow that was good meeting you in paris!! ubbrollsmile hug ubbrollsmile

dude i hope we see us more often in future! COME TO VIENNA!
sorry for not saying good bye...last underground...

so get the kaskade and next time synchron backcrosses ? wink
love you -bastl

Page: ...