Forums > Social Discussion > Can you hear? Can you see?

Login/Join to Participate

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
So I was having an interesting muse tonight.

My friend, Regyt once on this board, once read a short story about a piano concert that went all night.

She concluded by commenting that she couldn't appreciate music that way. She never experienced what she felt was the composer's intent. She can't "hear" music although her sense of audition is perfectly intact.

I, on the other hand, don't assimilate words well. I can grasp complex concepts with words, but I can't visualize anything described. I can't "see."

What about you? Any special gifts you have for the senses? Any blind spots?

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
I can "hear" and "see" in the ways that you discribed,actually i'm probably better at Seeing things but more recently my hearing things in music has inproved alot. I have a lot of trouble "thinking" though

Well not realy "thinking" but thinking in words ,my brain seems to remember and thing about things in "images". It makes things hard when your having a serious discusion about "feelings" and people ask what are you thinking right now, beacuse i have to translate the "pictures" in to words. I think it is also why i really don't like doing speaking improvisation games but i really love movement based ones.

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Mum has an uncanny ability to see cobwebs...that count? tongue

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Groovy_DreamSILVER Member
addict
449 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Doc Lightning

So I was having an interesting muse tonight.

My friend, Regyt once on this board, once read a short story about a piano concert that went all night.

She concluded by commenting that she couldn't appreciate music that way. She never experienced what she felt was the composer's intent. She can't "hear" music although her sense of audition is perfectly intact.

I, on the other hand, don't assimilate words well. I can grasp complex concepts with words, but I can't visualize anything described. I can't "see."

What about you? Any special gifts you have for the senses? Any blind spots?

Are you sure these are the same thing? Seeing something in your mind's eye is more like being able to imagine a sound, eg a siren... being able to hear the emotion in music is a bit different.

PhaiGOLD Member
113 posts

Posted:
The only thing I can relate to this is my intuition with shapes and 3D objects. Some things I find 'offensive' - things assymmetrically angular, or with alot of negative space. While organic round objects, especially those shaped like root vegetables I find, I dunno, pleasing.

Upon reflection, I don't think this is the same thing as your friend.

Btw, you said you said you don't assimilate words well - do you enjoy reading? And if you do, but you don't visualise the image, how do you experience or relate to the visual suggestions?

MagsKatBRONZE Member
Don't feed her cookies
113 posts

Posted:
I hear the intent behind music i think, however how are we to know that what we are hearing is the writers intent and not our own?

Formally known as kat224

We are not friends.. we never were.. but if i was part of your life then i thank you

ChellySILVER Member
Niraffe
884 posts

Posted:
 Written by: MagsKat

I hear the intent behind music i think, however how are we to know that what we are hearing is the writers intent and not our own?

But that's the joy of art is it not? That everyone sees, hears and feels each piece differently...and even people who have blind spots can relate to at least one piece of music, art, literature etc.

Blueberry, I understand exactly what you're saying. I have problems with communicating mostly. Putting the way I feel about something into words. I usually have to resort to the way a small child would describe how they feel...ie happy/sad/cross. For me, rather than pictures, I see colours for emotions.

I find it easier to express myself in writing, when I have the chance to correct it. wink

"Lots of beeping. And shaking and tinfoil." Chelly

"Are you sure it's a genuine test and not a robot heroin addict?" Cantus

---set free by the rather lovely FireTom---
--(right arm owned by Fyre)--

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
I heard a nice little story on the radio about people being so tone deaf they THINK they can sing. Which would explain the X factor and Pop Idol auditions. Apparently it's about 5 % of the population, and if someone doesn't tell them how bad they sound they won't ever know.

I'm alright with both, though I often don't think about what I read as much as I should - I just finished a short story that was "obviously about the publishing situation in the Japan of the 80s", in my mind it never left the level it was actually set in and was good enough like that.

Music is different - sometimes it doesn't matter to me much, for example most RnB just doesn't touch me at all, but other stuff makes me shiver. As 3EB sing "and the four right chords can make me cry".

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Well, it's very commonly thought/taught in education that there are people who are primarily visual, auditory and kinaesthetic (movement based) learners, based on their primary mode of perception. This came from NLP but is so commonly accepted it's almost a cliche now.

It's something I've always considered when teaching. Even when I was teaching drumming we used this theory to good effect.
People who look up when they are are learning something are primarily 'visual' and so we would write a diagram or chart of the rhythm. Auditories could learn by listening to the 'correct version', and could more easily spot when the sound wasn't quite right. Kinaesthetics (who look down) would feel the pattern through their hand movements. Holding their hands and showing them how it 'felt' was most effective. In a general classroom (I teach adults) I mix always try to mix visual resources (like powerpoints or cartoons) with written explanations. Just one format or the other can be confusing/overwhelming to the 'other' type. Kinaesthetics often have a hard time in traditional class rooms cos they are always wriggling and fidgeting. I always give my students permission to get up and wander over the the window, or doodle, in class. Just knowing they CAN seems to take the strain off!

It is not at all an 'either or' thing...I am a visual learner myself, yet music and dancing are some of my main pleasures in life.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I dont hear music or see it..... I feel it....

I read palms very well does that count?

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I feel music very much.
I also feel art in a similar way.

Like you, Mike, I grasp concepts but I find that my "seeing"
is very selective. If it's technical, I simply can't do it. If it's performance or creative based, it takes a small bit but I will get it. But that is only from spoken word.
If I read it, I have no issues "seeing" at all.
It reflects in my learning style. I am a hands on or self learner (ie:read it then apply it) but I can not learn from lectures.

Do you think this relates to how empathetic or emotionally sensitive a person is? Or do you think it is something different?

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

ZeebubbleBRONZE Member
6 posts

Posted:
What if a person has the same five senses that we are all familiar with, but are skewed slightly. Do you believe that our senses are falible, and that what one sees and hears and feels may not in fact be real?

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
"Reality" is a tricky concept. Some things appear "real" but in fact are not (re. paranoia for example). How can we tell that "red" means the same for two different people and if not, up to which extent does it mean the same?

I learned English that way: If it listened and appeared "funny" it most likely has been wrong. I hardly ever *studied* (English) at school but acted "intuitively" - which certainly reflected in my maths and a few other grades .lol.

It seems to depend on the topic, but I'm a good visualizer and a good listener as well... at least I believe so. Kinaesthetics, like hearing colors, tasting music or seeing sounds is a realm that I can only access with chemopharmaceutical keys applied. I'm not unhappy with it, imagine it must be very distractive - unless one gets used to it.

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
 Written by: FireTom

Kinaesthetics, like hearing colors, tasting music or seeing sounds ...

Hey Tom, I think you mean synaesthesia, not kinaesthesia. Intuitive, but not quite there!
wink

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
ubblol that's what I meant, Gabe and errm of course "blindspots"...

I see to be unable to focus or concentrate on whatever for more than one hour and easily get frustrated when the initial progress is fading --> no (instant) gratification, no persistence shrug

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
 Written by: FireTom

Kinaesthetics

Synesthetes? Yeah, I found out I was one in college. Well, I always thought it was normal to "hear" and yet not hear a clicking as a distant light turned on and off. I thought it was normal for sounds to have a color and a texture and move and swirl and flow.

And then I found out that not everyone percieves the world that way. Synesthesia is a gift; not an affliction. I'm totally not a typical case (left-handed, artistic female with ADHD). But I think I'm amazingly lucky to be a synesthete. I just think it's a cruel twist of fate that I am unable to draw the things I see. It interferes with my life in no way, but at times (like in the middle of a symphony) it makes the world an unspeakably beautiful place. ubbrollsmile

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

PhaiGOLD Member
113 posts

Posted:
*frowns* Hey Doc, is it common in synesthetes to hear about people linking colours to people ?

I'm just curious because almost everyone I meet I intuitively assign them a colour e.g. I find more orange women than orange men, but vice versa when dealing with yellow. Coincidentally, I find I'm invariably attracted to guys I visualise as yellow, even though I dislike the colour.

It gets to the stage where I pick through coloured straws to find a hue that matches the person I'm thinking about while I wait for my drink ubblol

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Doc Lightning

left-handed, artistic female with ADHD

That's typical? Explains a lot.. best description of one of my best friends I've read, and yep.. she's a synthaesthete.. First time I've ewver thought of her as typical. ubblol

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

natasqiaddict
489 posts

Posted:
I think I hear and see differently.

Hearing.. I just relate all music to dance. I've never done dance classes, but people ask if I do ballet or modern dance all the time (obviously not people who ACTUALLY dance)
I just feel music and pull emotion out of it.
Which is why I can't dance to jazz. Jazz kills my inner child. I just CANT dance to it.

Sight wise, I'm severely myopic (short sighted) and severely anisometropic (eyes totally not even) so without contacts, my eyes see different things. I'm so used to seeing things fuzzy, I rely on forms and shapes, not edges as much.
I can find my way around in the dark better because I already subconsciously memorise room plans.

smile