Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > In-Between Circus and Chillout Festival

Login/Join to Participate

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
Hi Everyone,

some good friends of mine that were at Common Ground, Ben (the Shakuhatchi player and Ian (the guy with 3 masks in the show) are putting on a 4 day Circus and Chillout festival near Taree four hours North of Sydney. The site is absolutely beautiful lush rainforest / sub tropical forest and has a permanent stream with waterholes n stuff for bathing / paddling. I saw photos of the site this morning and I was like eek ubblove It really looks like the most beautiful location I've ever seen for a twirly / chill festival.

Fire twirling will be permitted in designated 'safe areas'. Probly it would be a good idea if fire twirling were limited tho to reduce the impact on this gorgeous ecosystem.

Its being put on at that time to try to catch people driving between NYE parties and home or further parties (as we are).

I think the festival is going to be very cheap or free! check;

https://kyorei.org/inbetween/

for details.

PS - numbers are limited (for obvious reasons - the site will be stuffed up if too many people decide to rock up without the organisers preparing enough waste management facilties, etc etc), so if this sounds like something you want to do, you should make up your mind sooner rather than later - so you can get yourself on the mailing list and we can all be happy and chilled without putting too much pressure on the site, or the organisers. smile

Kate and I will be there the whole time, and I already know Dentrassi is coming too. It'd be great to see some more beautiful chilled people there. ubblove

Seeya,

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
OOOooooo
This sounds like a deffinate Post Woodford possibility
Anyone driving from Woodford - there with space?
I was gonna be working in Byron between Woodford and Exodus, but....this sounds Luuurveelly
who's going?

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
hehe - FireNix - a 'Definite possibility' ?

does that mean we have > 10% chance of seeing you there? wink

--

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
Deffinately Maybe!!....You know me too well!
Its on my plan...but then my plans change daily
You at Woodford friend?

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
lol hehe - ah for a life with flexible planning! no woodford for me. I'm going to Tribeadelic and then to this, and then to Exodus.

--

PhaiGOLD Member
113 posts

Posted:
Sounds like a def. post Woodford possibility! I'll count myself in or out within the next few days.

anomalousnewbie
15 posts

Posted:
Hi All,

It's Ben here. Especially Hi to everyone who I met at Common Ground! Cheers Josh for posting about InBetween. It will be a free event, though of course we would be happy to accept donations in any form.

The website gives the basic idea, and a few pics of the site. - please do check it out, and most importantly, if you are thinking of coming, drop an email to the address provided on the website - this helps us gauge numbers and allows us to better provide for everyone. The plan is to guide people toward particular camping spots, based both on the geography (to avoid problems should it rain), and their particular wants in a spot - there will be all sorts - shady spots in amongst trees, spots by the creekside, more private little groves for folks wanting a bit more isolation, and we can even set aside certain spots for people if they would like us to.

I was up there weekend before last, and i took some more photos, which Josh has seen, and which i will post on the website shortly.

To clarify what Josh was saying above - fire will be allowed, but only in fireplaces provided, or twirling in a clearly designated area with safety gear on hand. If the level of fire safety I saw at Common Ground can be maintained, then all will be well.

Much like Common Ground, we will be providing infrastructure, and have our own ideas on what we want to be doing, but InBetween will be whatever people want to make of it. there will be workshops, if you want to teach them. tunes, if you want to play them. twirling, if you want to get up, and lying down, if you dont. smile so bring whatever you want to play with, and any ideas you have. if you have ideas but no resources, please ask us and we will do what we can to provide.

the site is not powered, however we have a generator that will be run at certain times to recharge our battery banks, and power the little party we have planned for saturday night.

biggrin

Ben

sureauenthusiast
224 posts

Posted:
hands up for definite possibility here too!

i'm working right up til xmas then will have 2weeks before i leave the country for a year or two... what to do what to do...

"Be the Bunny"

keyarghahPLATINUM Member
Woodford is Goodford..!
241 posts

Posted:
oh wow ben you dont know how much i love you for bringing sydney gatherings! im gonna put it up on the circusoc site im sure heaps of my crew will be interested. but im gonna be in africa. BUMMED.
but not that bummed because, well, ill be in africa.

i went out to Taree not long ago for Turtle Camp, and the last Sydney Confesters was there too. its such a beautiful place. and this sounds awesome, id love to go.

hopefully see u soon at glebe brother (met you at CG07)
ciara

'FREE HUGGIES!!'

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
yay! am soooo still up for this ubbrollsmile

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

PhaiGOLD Member
113 posts

Posted:
Whoo hoo! Yup, I'm officially in.

anomalousnewbie
15 posts

Posted:
My partner Patchie and I were up at the site last weekend working on it... heres a pic of the fruits of our labour:

Non-Https Image Link

a set of steps down to the bathing spot, and some nice big flat rocks to sit on to paddle. we also made some other steps down to the bathtub, and started work on some meandering paths along the creek bank. all made just of rocks and elbow grease. we are a bit stiff and sore from moving rocks around, but it was just so much fun we couldnt stop once we started.

This kind of spontaneous construction is one of the things that the site inspires in its guests - and I hope folks who come to the festival get inspired too! we want to encourage people to get down and work with us on this kind of thing - for the fun of it, and the benefit of future festivals. It was so cool to have worked on the weekend, and then come home, knowing we'd made something that would be there to enjoy every time we come back to the site.

cant wait to share this stuff with you all!

biggrin

ben

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
looks really awesome - good job! smile

Cant wait! smile

--

PhaiGOLD Member
113 posts

Posted:
That's amazingly cool... cool

Bathtub?

Keep posting pictures Ben!

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
It looks beautifull and youve enhanced it wonderfuly - Respect to you
Im just finalising my plans for the Oz/Nz tour and am seriously considering taking time out from gigs to come do this.
I'll send you a PM when im sorted
Peas

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

anomalousnewbie
15 posts

Posted:
the bathtub is in place, but the deck around it isnt finished yet. we also need to finish building the fireplace/water heater (metal drum a bit uphill from the bath, over a fireplace, with a hand pump to fill it from the river). I can tell you from firsthand experience of the other bathtub (tho this one is up near the house, on another bit of the property) - sitting under the stars, in a hot bath next to a flowing creek on a cool night is the bees knees. apologies for the size of the pic :

Non-Https Image Link

here is a picture of the field. the creek runs in the trees on the left side. the central area will be a large marquee setup about where the tractor is. camping is all along the left side for morning shade. sun is overhead for about 3 hours in the middle of the day, but for the rest of the time, there is shade - but there is plenty of shade and water to be had even when the field is in sun, down by the creek.

Non-Https Image Link

ill keep posting pics as more work gets done on the site. ive also got some pics from the last little event we did here that i'll post when i get the time.

smile

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
YUMMY!!

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

BasstonesGOLD Member
Do you do the poiz?
530 posts

Posted:
Wow! Looks absolutely amazing!

I would definitely be finding a way down there if i wasn't up north til the 8th. Everyone who goes will have a memorable time for sure

"In the end there is only fire and a waterfall"

PhaiGOLD Member
113 posts

Posted:
*bump*

Oh, and is anyone travelling back to Sydney from this Festival? Please PM if you can offer me a spot travelling back. Alternatively, I'd also love to meet up to travel back on the train etc.

I'm cool! I can tolerate most forms of music blasted out of a car! Look I even roll and give hugs! ubbrollsmile hug

Much thanks,

Pip

anomalousnewbie
15 posts

Posted:
best bet is to just see who you meet at the event. there will be people going up and down, and im sure someone will have room for you. failing that, there is always the train from Taree, a lift to the train station can be sorted easily. when were you thinking of heading back up to sydney? I will be heading back on the 9th or 10th and if you are still around, I can make space for you.

A general comment - it would be good if anyone here who was interested in coming could send me an email on inbetweenfestival{at}gmail{dot}com so that when the time comes to send out directions and other critical info, i have a list of email addresses. so far very few people have registered, despite a lot of people being definite about coming.

cheers,

ben

anomalousnewbie
15 posts

Posted:
Time has come to post directions!

from Sydney (about 4 1/2 Hrs)

from Brisbane (about 8 1/2 Hrs)

the key bits really are:

Turn of Pacific Highway to Taree
Going through Taree, following signposts to Wingham
Going through Wingham - follow road in until you hit a T-Junction (Farquhar St.) then turn right and follow road past pub, over rail bridge, and turn left at T-Junction towards Elands.
after about 4km, Turn Left, signposted Wherrol Flat Road.
after about 15km, you pass through the teeny townlet of Wherrol Flat.
about 1km out of Wherrol Flat at top of hill, hard Left Turn onto dirt, Signposted Big Run Road.
after 1.7km, turn left, signposted Mt. Pleasant Road.
follow this for about 1km, through the gate (signposted 'Residents Only' and a little further, being careful of the dips (we will put warning markers by them) and you cant miss us!

we will mark the relevant turnoffs with something sparkly and obvious. wink

And, of course, take care! - especially on the dirt.

and for those going on to Exodus afterwards: to Tenterfield

anomalousnewbie
15 posts

Posted:
Was up there again on the weekend. The creek flooded a week back, flushing all the gunk out of the swimming hole, leaving a lovely sandy bottom, and the level is waist deep. met some of the local inhabitants at night - lots of little fish, some big yabbies, and a beautiful 2 foot long eel. havent met the platypus yet, but he lives a bit upstream. smile

and the bath platform is finished!

Non-Https Image Link

and I also noted some more accurate directions:

* Turn off Pacific Highway to Taree

* Going through Taree, following signposts to Wingham

* Going through Wingham - follow road in until you hit a T-Junction (Farquhar St.) then turn right and follow road past pub, over rail bridge (about 1km), and turn left at T-Junction towards Elands.

* after about 6km, Turn Left, signposted "Caparra" & Wherrol Flat Road.

* after about 12km, you pass through the teeny townlet of Wherrol Flat.

* about 500m past the 100km/hr after Wherrol Flat, at top of hill, hard Left Turn onto dirt, Signposted "Elenborough Falls" & Big Run Road. Watch out for the bridge then sharp right turn coming up!

* after 2.7km, turn left, signposted Mt. Pleasant Road (says No Thru Road).

* follow this for about 2km, through the gate (signposted 'Residents Access Only' and a little further, being careful of the dips (we will put warning markers by them) and you cant miss us!
EDITED_BY: anomalous (1199070941)