Page:
PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Today, in the US is October 26, 2007. Otherwise known as HoP's 9th birthday!!!!

I know I signed in on November 11, 1998 for the first time and I remember when it was a rocketship of love in Malcolm's bedroom and the storage/manufacturing facility was the back wall in his garage. Crazy, no?

Congrats on how far you've come Malcolm! What an empire you have built!

So...ummm...where's the party? wink

EDITED_BY: Pele (1193411684)

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

georgemcBRONZE Member
Sitting down facing forward . . .
2,387 posts

Posted:
Sorry for not noticing this earlier!

There is a local fire festival around this time and we have discussed (tentatively) having the HoP birthday party on the Friday night and the "normal" festival stuff on the Saturday Sunday. The weblink for the one just been is https://www.littleriver.co.nz/
https://www.littleriver.co.nz/Little%20River%20the%20one_files/page0007.htm

Co-ordinating with CG would be a good idea too, so... no pressure Josh!

Written by: Doc Lightning talking about Marmite in Kichi's Intro thread

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
oh dear - thats on the same w/end as CG! and we cant go the week earlier (no time to prepare for CG) and we cant go a week later (no time to take down CG). frown

Id be SOOO up for this if it werent a clash frown frown

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
a 10th anniversary HoP party? ooooh!! biggrin

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
George, no offense but I think most people would go for CG over that. And I think that putting it against CG would lose alot of the Aussies that would jump the drink otherwise. It's mostly HoP peeps at CG and something alot of internationals have been wanting to get to, and two weekends of events (CG on one and HoP on the other) would make it a good excuse so matching the weekend on the whole you might find difficult.

I looked at the link and I just don't think it would be a good mesh. It's obviously more than a fire thing or spin jam. It seems to be a set up "family" festival with the whole schedule-bouncy house-arts and crafts. Not something where people can spin/light up anytime they want, have a drum circle, drink copiously (without having to worry about travel), be free to celebrate and be loud, sleep half the day, stay up all night with a bonfire, etc. It's great of HoP to have performers in it, and maybe there are some international performers who would join you once on that side, but from the website it seems a far cry from something that would be embracing of an international community based on these arts to come together at. Not to mention that having the party on Friday and the "normal" fest really leaves people out who can't come in until Fri.

I've known alot of HoPpers and HoP events/parties and I can say that a full weekend (especially for those travelling a distance) is better than a night and then an invite to a local festival. It just...it doesn't sit right with me at all.

It just seems that since it would be celebrating for/by/with the community, that the celebration would be created to allow the most people to come, and that it would be geared for those people specifically, something that reflects the people here, and not piggy backed on something else. Just my thoughts.
EDITED_BY: Pele (1194316994)

Pele

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
Hear Hear.
I havent gone the link yet (I believe its an Organic River Fest?) - but we dont want to be something tagged onto a festy (as generous an offer as that sounds), we want to be our own entity, we want to be free to spin what we want to spin and we want to get loaded.....and spin some more, but obviously not fire, cuz that would be dangerous and...
Listen what we want (and by we I use the Regent form - cuz im such a Manorchist!!!) is something thats ours, where we dont need to worry about the sensibilities of other non-spinny festival goers. Indeed its not just a selfish thing. I wonder how they would feel if suddenly there was an invasion of masses of HOP people....actually they'd LOVE it, but thats not the point!! It would change the dynamics of the festy for sure.
So to summerise!! I think we should have our own party a week or 2 before/after CG

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Amother option would be to have CG as the HoP Anniversary celebration. I know it's not in NZ, but things like the finances (or lack thereof) for poor spinny types might be a stretch, as well as annual leave for us 9 - 5ers etc. I doubt I could take the time off to do both events.

If it comes down to one or the other (CG or NZ) for many people, why not use a pre-established HoP-centric event like CG? Put more energy and resources into the one event to make it as good as it can be, rather than spreading time & people over two. Just a thought.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: flash fire

Amother option would be to have CG as the HoP Anniversary celebration. I know it's not in NZ, but things like the finances (or lack thereof) for poor spinny types might be a stretch, as well as annual leave for us 9 - 5ers etc. I doubt I could take the time off to do both events.

If it comes down to one or the other (CG or NZ) for many people, why not use a pre-established HoP-centric event like CG? Put more energy and resources into the one event to make it as good as it can be, rather than spreading time & people over two. Just a thought.

Cause some of us want to use it as an excuse to get back to NZ wink

*le sigh*

Yer right tho hug

Pele

georgemcBRONZE Member
Sitting down facing forward . . .
2,387 posts

Posted:
Josh - the dates at that site were this years and we can certainly change them, but I like Sarah's suggestion ('cos that way we don't have to do quite as much work! biggrin ) Plus, anyone who wants to come over to NZ from CG can still do it and have more time for doing the things they want to this way too.

When are you looking at CG for next year?

Written by: Doc Lightning talking about Marmite in Kichi's Intro thread

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
It makes more sense to collaborate. biggrin That way Josh & Kate will get extra help and financing too.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I've always understood that CG has only a limited amount of tickets available.
Would that be conducive to something like this tho?

And...would the HoP crew make the jaunt to Aus? Since, it would be silly if Chris, Mal, George and the crew weren't there. So, yeah...would ya?

Plus...I think ultimately that would be up to Josh and Katinca as well, yes?

Oh Joooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooosh!

Pele

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
of course you are totally correct there Pele. It's Josh & Kate's call, ultimately.

Things like limited capacity venues etc can be addressed should this concept go ahead... there are options!

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
 Written by: flash fire

of course you are totally correct there Pele. It's Josh & Kate's call, ultimately.

Things like limited capacity venues etc can be addressed should this concept go ahead... there are options!

I think the limitation on the CG land is one imposed by the landholders/insurance, not so easily get aroundable.
Personally as someone who goes to CG I would prefer a separate event for the HoP anniversary... it so makes sense to have it in NZ!!!

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
I Agree with Gabe and Pele
OK - its easy for us to say lets have 2 and yeah I guess it will take more work.
But really how can you have a HOP party in.....Australia!!
Im not from either place, but I KNOW theres something a little wierd about that. Its gotta be in CrCh - surely?
If the dates for the LittleRiver Fest are changable, purhaps we could negotiate a HOP gathering before/after that festy. Taking advantage of the amenities being there and reducing cost and work. If it were before we could then run workshops to get acts together for the festy - a la Hoche a Feure which worked really well. Although I think it would be good to do it on a lesser scale to give more time for simple FUN.
I guess there would be an issue with the site being set up, whilst we were around, but we could probably help with that also. Again 1-2 hr workshops. This would massively reduce set up costs and work, if we tagged onto another event - Dont know wether this is an option George?
I feel the party HAS to be in the Spiritual home of HOP - New Zealand and it would give all those Ozzies that havent been to their more beatifull 'state'!!! a good kick up the Bums to get over the pond!!
Lets invade New Zealand....again. OOoops did I type that out loud!! wink

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I've seen the HoP warehouse - there's plenty of space to play in there once you've cleaned out the miles (and miles and miles) of Kevlar - then you've got an indoor venue at the actual HoP factory
(I'm not sure the actual HoP chez Malcolm could quite cope with a global invasion wink )

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I am not sure HoP central could or Mal...but I distinctly remembering a certain Kombi guy offering up a paddock at his place (and I can pull the thread up as evidence too!)

Oooooooooooooooooh Chris!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ubblol

I just like yelling names really. It's the only reason I'm here. wink

Pele

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
i recon a pip bday style event at hop central would be awesooooome, particularly if it where the weekend before common ground. Im sure loads of hoppers from around the globe will descend biggrin it could make for some wicked traveling adventures on a pilgrimage from hop central to common ground ubbrollsmile

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
Indeed.
I personally think it would be better after CG - but....

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I'm with FN on the after, but either way you are completely right ben, it will make for some awesomesauce to be sure. smile

I also think after CG would mean more of "us" (travellors) in NZ to help set things up, which I think would help relieve alot of pressure off of the HoP HQ crew, and I am all for that as well.

Pele

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
Yep deffinately a few weeks after CG would be great.
We could do some loose choreography workshops at CG, have time to work together over the next couple a weeks and put on some nice acts for the HOP party.
I for one am really into that - as HOP started me on what is now my job, ive been working and travelling for the last 6 years from what I started learning in the video section - and I want to give something back
But not just in performance but in setting up and helping run and pack down the thing

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
A couple weeks wouldn't work Firenix, it would have to be the following weekend.

If as many people go as claim they intend to, there are alot of people who would have to take off from work to be there. The most bang for any travellors buck is to have the events back to back so that they can, ideally, hit both and lose the least amount of time from work.

I'm with you on helping with set up, take down, etc. but not everyone has the luxury of setting their own schedules and being their own boss.

Pele

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
True, true - I forget my luxury

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
*shrugs* you say tomato i say tomato .... mmmm that really works better when you say it hey. It would be good if dates where set well in advance so the hype and general planningness can begin.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Like making sure I'm up to date with assignments so I can afford the time...omg i'm trying to be organised a year in advance *head explodes*

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
wipes up tomato and Rougeness

Is it the Truth?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ben-ja-men

*shrugs* you say tomato i say tomato .... mmmm that really works better when you say it hey. It would be good if dates where set well in advance so the hype and general planningness can begin.

ubblol
That's funny. Yes, yes it does!

And I agree.
Which means back to kicking Josh. wink

*lends Gnor a hand*

Hmmm...looks like soup.

Pele

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Common Ground dates are set to the middle of thelocal school holidays so serve as a fixed star by which to navigate...

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
1,965 posts

Posted:
So long as I have 2 weeks notice of the dates I don't realy care when it is.

Oh and I'm hapy to lend a hand to set up and pull down.

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
So is there an update on this?

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
so is there a link at the top of every page redface redface
When did that get there!

Page: