Forums > Technical Discussion > Hyperlight Update - 25-10-2007

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Hyperlights are not yet ready. There, I've said it, so I hope the title of this thread didn't get anyone too excited. Things have been extremely busy for me of late with a combination of being ill (fear not; I'm back to my usual self now!) and commitments to work and the occasional bit of sleep. We've been busy though and here's where we're at:

The housing for the poi is just a couple of days away from completion so we should have prototypes back from that in about a week or so with a bit of luck.
The website is just about to change hosts so don't be surprised when it goes offline in the middle of next week. It should be back up again soon after at least in a limited form while we change things over.
The electronics is now complete and seems very stable; From our testing, it seems impossible to make them reset by smacking them together!
Plans for the business are under way which include getting funding to build the full-blown moulds. When we website comes back up and we've had a chance to fiddle with it, there really will be a form to sign up which leads me onto my next point.
We're planning to do a two-stage signup. The first is to gauge interest (although given the number of emails, PMs, phone calls i've had lately, there's no need to worry wink) and won't require any money. Basically, you stick your email down and those people who sign up first get first dibs on stage two...
...which will happen when we're ready to put our money where our mouth is. The plan is to give those people who signed up first a week or two to get the cash for a pair of hyperlights to us. At the end of that period, we'll order the moulds and begin production!

The first batch will probably be around 250 pairs and we intend to ship them worldwide. So not quite the October deadline I'd set myself, but we're nearing the end of 3 years of development so quite exciting times!

Have fun smile

Jon

Cake or Death?

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
So probably mid December by the time the public would have a set? Thats presuming they put their name down then send £150 and wait 2 weeks

'order the moulds and begin production' about how long would this take do you think? only some people might be upset at handing over £150 then having to wait about month for their item to arrive

Cheers for the update

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
That's a good question and not one I know for certain, but if we go ahead with asking for money up front, we will make it very clear how long you'd expect to wait before you spend anything.

Since most of the manufacturing can be done in parallel (electronics, housings, socks etc.) and assembly should be a relatively simple process, I think the lead times will be quite small.

I agree that people would be upset at waiting a month after handing over their hard earned cash (I would!).. which is why I'd only do that when I'm certain everything is in place and that I can tell people up front how long it will all take. One of my big philosophies with Hyperlight's development has been one of being up front and honest with my potential market. I want these toys to be loved smile

Cake or Death?

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
I'm excited and i dont even do poi. I'm just hoping that when these finally get released everyone is going to want them (seems like they do) and you get some major capital to put into R&D for the hyper staffs or hyper meteors biggrin. Sounds like it was 3 years well spent sir, Good luck with the final stages.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
biggrin Sounds excellent Jon- I'm sad I've been a bit out of touch in the latter stages of development, but it all sounds wicked- do I really need to sign up!? wink

Sambo_FluxGOLD Member
Introverted
833 posts

Posted:
After seing G play at Play, I'd be more than happy to fork out. Expect my application as soon as the forms up sir! I have to confess to actually playing with Yakumo's prototypes at Synergy, and basically: woof.

My Mind is a Ship
Emotions become the Waves
Soul is the Ocean

If a quizz is quizzical, what is a test?

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
nice going jon... i can remember waaay back when you first started this, and it seems like you're fulfilling all your aims biggrin

hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
bounce excited!

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

splinterificGOLD Member
enthusiast
248 posts

Posted:
jon... you know my stance.. i have the money sitting in an envelope at home with your name written on it biggrin really hard not to open it but i cant wait smile

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Is there a link to the website somewhere. I'm being lazy today.

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

splinterificGOLD Member
enthusiast
248 posts

Posted:
www.hyperlight.co.uk

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
muchos gracias!

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

any_suggestionsGOLD Member
enthusiast
238 posts

Posted:
is the hyperlight website down?i cant get on it at all?

to many freaks to little circuses!

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
 Written by: any_suggestions

is the hyperlight website down?i cant get on it at all?

Top post

'The website is just about to change hosts so don't be surprised when it goes offline in the middle of next week. It should be back up again soon after at least in a limited form while we change things over.'

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
hmm.. on checking my funds.. i may have to put off getting a pair of those..

though, i may get to pick a set up form you *in person* next year smile

hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
Website is down while we change hosts. The new host is very nearly up and running and I'm back from a small holiday so it should be back up by the end of the weekend and with any luck, I'll (finally) have the sign-up form working smile

They'll be worth the wait Pete I promise wink

Cake or Death?

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
awesome, I have this thread and your site as my homepage so hopefully should manage to sign up quickly enough. Will the first batch be slightly different to the batches made afterwards as mentioned before? Incase you don't already know I'm amongst the many who have money set aside just for hyperlights. smile

Also congratulations on getting this far dude, I'm sure it will all pay off very soon.

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

Supergroovalsticprosifunkstication
In other words, it's the thumps bump

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
The first batch should be identical to all the other batches although I've considered making the first-however-many marked in some way to indicate they're the limited addition first batch. Suggestions on ways to do that are very welcome wink

Cake or Death?

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
You could Gold plate them...

Oh no - wait then the light wouldnt shine through!!

But they'd look aweful preedy

Whats you best guesstimate on when theyre likely to be produced by?

I shall be heading to India and Oz around the 5th Dec. Would be great to take a paid over and show all the Ozzies so they can order the non-limited editions!

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
I'd suggest some kind of variation on the cones that they come in or some such.

Or you could say the first people to order would get a one day head start on the Hyperstaff if when it comes out... that'd REALLY get people slavering wink

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
 Written by: LazyAngel

Or you could say the first people to order would get a one day head start on the Hyperstaff if when it comes out... that'd REALLY get people slavering wink

here here *makes agreeing rable of people noises*

of course thats only if I get one of the first batch, otherwise other people should get headstart on hyperstaff smile

UCOF "evolution: Poi -> stick -> hoops -> devil stick -> juggling club -> juggling ball -> crayons."

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
after checking out my money more-so.. i *may* be able to lash out for these... ill let you know smile

hug

splinterificGOLD Member
enthusiast
248 posts

Posted:
getting "Limited Edition" stitched onto the socks would be a nice touch... or a little certificate saying that
"you are now the proud owner of the first set of manufactured hyperlights"

etc.... jon... il be an unhappy bunny if i dont gett the first batch frown

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
yeh, stitched onto the sock somewhere would be a good touch. Dont see the point in a certificate, noone will see it.

What sort of socks are they coming with? hyperloops? My hyperoops are fantastic, but as they are orange and black LEDs dont shine through at all. Im sure these wont have this problem, especially if they are white socks

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
They will be similar to Hyperloops (non-stretchy white cones) but not actually Hyperloops.. unless Gayle reckons she can produce 500 (250 pairs) in the near future? wink

Cake or Death?

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
put me down as your first (or second) international customer.. i have the cash in savings biggrin

hug

splinterificGOLD Member
enthusiast
248 posts

Posted:
 Written by: pineapple pete

put me down as your first (or second) international customer.. i have the cash in savings biggrin

hug

you can be second... i be in ireland so ill go first biggrin just to make sure they ship ok... wouldnt want you losing out pete wink

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
intercontinental?

hug

splinterificGOLD Member
enthusiast
248 posts

Posted:
alright ill give you that biggrin

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
good. at least my hyperloops and hyperlight socks will be individual smile

weighted handles? (because i dont like them) im sure others will however. i just like to wrap around hands

yoniGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,099 posts

Posted:
I'm not certain so don't take my word for it but I imagine if they are like most sock poi I've used you'll be able to have them either way by adding weights/tieing knots to make weights or leaving them to have wrap around handles.

Page: