Page: ...
georgemcBRONZE Member
Sitting down facing forward . . .
2,387 posts

Posted:
The wheels seem to turn slowly when you're waiting for something good, but now it's finally here!

DVD details page

Shop page

Judges and participants copies are being sent out now. People who suscribed to the e-mail notification should also have received their e-mail.

Now you can all prepare to be inspired all over again! ubbrollsmile

cheers
George

Written by: Doc Lightning talking about Marmite in Kichi's Intro thread

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

GlumonPLATINUM Member
stranger
16 posts

Posted:
I thought better vids on this COL, I will post full feedback after watch last four vids.

GlumonPLATINUM Member
stranger
16 posts

Posted:
I preffer double staff and poi + human muvements. So some of my feedbacks are affected by this. This year there are a lot of vides vit fire hoop. But best for me is Khan with contacts and non fire hoop.Few contact videos - I MCP-M.3.2 are very similar and both very good - but without nice areas ;/ Few nice technical videos without fire. A lot of nontechnical videos made by good editor.
Only one back yard video this year / i am not counting holiday videos :o) / - COL going better and better each year.

Flow Garden - very very nice - We have an discussion about man movements / lot of mans couldn`t move smooth and nice with their bodies - but this guy is

perfect/. Best HulaHoop on this COL - very flow.

Zaobab - Perfect. Original toys and lot of good technical thinks.Best original vid.

Fire dance with the light - I dont like this combination of Japanese drums , Aphro dance and disco overal. But some effect are nice and techcical good.

Noel-ski,G.Maldonado and Dave - Some nice contact staff routines. Good think is shicks + staff.

Fire-sisters - One of the worst video from fire sisters, looks like from their begiinings. If not it look like no progress from last year. I Like last

year Uv video from fire sisters and it was my favourite to win last COL .. this is very poor.

infinitos - :o)

Michael Kevin - Some nice technical ideas. But nothing special.

Sandstone Shadow - nice area and start of this vid. I like this style

Flaming passion - Good joke, first video on COL with screenplay :oDD but its everything.

Ring of Fire - Nice girl with small outfit .. she is very good but, nothing special.

Poi story - Very funny video. Very short fire routine , but perfect technique. Good job Nick and Yuta. I Like this vid.

Nosh - I looks like some srange theatre :o) Look like Blair Witch :o) there is no technical thinks.

MCP - First part is filmed from long distance, so its not visible too much. Good contact technics .. amazing full fire staff.. very nice contact video.

Burning Match - I dont know why, But don`t like this vid.

Rossi Street - bad bad - one of back yard videos - sometimes it looks that this vid have bad aspect ratio.

Paulino - Very very naci location .. I wanna be there . Very good technique.

Ebb and Flow - good location and technique. But very static without movement.

Asaf and Elhanan - poor , I wants anly liitle synchronization , and better location and could be very nice. It look like parts of our routine from past - nice to see more people doing contact poi routines.

Fire goove - Nice people and nice vid. There is little technical thinks and a lot of good camera shots and editor job. Looks like music clip for some susician :o)

Short fusion - good acrobatics job. I little another / more acrobatic and dancing / style than standard twirlinkg. I like it.

Astro on fire - I dont like his style when falling down as an drunken.

M.3.2. - Nice contact playing - good presentation of experience not only edited video , I dont like selected filming areas.

Nox Incendio - Very fast edited video - too fast to see any bigger technical experience.I don`t found there any technical stuff except nunchaku. Good editors job.

Poism - Nice led Fingers - I have seen some their another vids and they are very good dancers. But this viid is not too good of theis another.. But show a good technique.

Elias - Better and better , than yast year.Original with using led staffs. i dont like his costume. But double staff technique is perfect and using a lot of onovations against last year. I Like this vid.

Ninaruna - Another vid with screen play :o) I think last year they was better vid.

Blazing phoenix - I looks like good choreography, but with a lot of mistakes. I dont like this "very fast" twirling style.

Tulic - 1 and 2 staffs better then poi , but I don`t like his movement.

Deamtime Circus - Kitties :o) Another fire hoop on this COL, this year there is a lot of hoops.I dont like this vid.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Cool - you make Meg look friendly wink

ubblol

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Massive congrats to Dai and Sandy... and the third placed person who I don't know yet hug

Wow. Voting came through really quickly this year!

I have a few comments to make on this, but will wait until I have time to write a big post.

One thing though...

Meg, tis personal preference, but I thought your video was great, I loved the flow of it and it was a pity it wasn't placed... frown

Hugs and grins to all the entrants... good work, and thanks for your time and energy

biggrin

xx

Getting to the other side smile

Noelskimember
129 posts

Posted:
Okay I never post...so congrats to the winners and all the submissions! I feel honored to be on a video with so many talented people.

Dai won!!! yah!!!!

Sandy took second!!!

WTF is up with the third place decision? I guess as a group they looked the best but besides that the video was very...unsatisfying.

IMHO Fire groove had more skill, flashy-ness than that video by far.

Maybe it was the props they used?

So a if I got ten of my close buddies together we dressed up like "pirate gypsy's" and jammed. We could have placed.

No disrespect to Machinea Candeo but that was so......
dang, won't say it...

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
George & Glumon, thanks for the compliments on my vid. biggrin

I was happy just to be included on the dvd, it's been a goal of mine ever since I started with all this spinny stuff.

But you ain't seen nothin' yet -- wait 'til next year. wink

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
so; i made a big pile of notes, but can't find them, so it'll have to be from memory:

first things first:

overall it was much, much better. COL keeps on improving, and if it keeps going, then in a few years... wow.

still a lot of 'not reading the guidelines' unfortunately - using light, good focusing and tripods should be enforced with tazers. other minuses for me included 'feeling that you need to use the full three minutes' (i think props were given to someone before for not using it all, which i fully agree with), 'not thinking about the editing' - using one shot for too long, using an inferior shot to another one in the video, etcetc, 'forgetting to think about what you are wearing' (lots of just clothes... fine, but not very aesthetically pleasing for what is after all a video competition)...not really planning a set (noel et al: spank might be iconic to you, but for the rest of us it's a toilet... hug2 and i still have your poi, by the way, AND your travellers cheques....) and a few more things that would be apparent if i had my piece of paper in front of me ubblol

a huge and diverse mix of videos (which was great as it is a video contest, not a spinning one), including promo style, show shoots, tech spinning, comedy, just spins smile i won't dwell on which ones i didn't like so much but if anyone wants some serious feedback (i made two pages of notes in the end, with quite a bit on each video) PM me - i decided it'd be fun to actually watch it like a contest, and so was looking for:

set

shooting

editing

movement

skills

interpretation

costume

prop interestingness

originality

rewatchability

with bonus points for 'ooooh' factor (edit: and minus points for 'eeeuurrgh' - leaning back to back buzzsaws, amongst other things, will never make me a happy bunny)

my top 5:

5= meg (mcp) and Sandy (M.3.2)

both flled with wonderfully technical spinning in tasty urban locations. nice body movements as well, but lacked the spark to get into the top 3

4 bender (sandstone)

lovely location, nice skills and dance, and best use of fans i've seen for ages. poor video quality and slightly dodgy shooting meant it stayed 4.

3 - Burning Match

started slow, but drew me in with the sound effects. ended up being a wonderfully funnt martial arts spoof with great acro and nice skills. darkness and some slowness meant it couldn't get higher than 3.

2 - Poi Story

beautiful idea, well crafted, fantastic skills, celebrity geeks.... but not enough spinning. if only....

1 - Dai (zaobab)

lovely location, gorgeous props, beautiful spinning, lots of personality and thought into the video. came second in the preliminary watching (to poi story) but was an obvious choice at the end of a rewatch.

So there you have it... much happier with COL this year than last (no disrespect to last years winners, who were all awesome, just meaning the overall video), but i still think a better set of criteria given out to contestants would mean a higher standard of video smile

as i said before, any feedback will be freely given if requested smile

here's to dai hug and to COL 2008 (which i may, or may not enter.... tongue ) beerchug

smile

Rob
EDITED_BY: bluecat (1195470668)

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

Noelskimember
129 posts

Posted:
Yeah...our entry was a real after thought...we didn't even see the edit until we found out we were on the comp.

random jamming in our entry, next year will be more serious I promise!

I'd post more reviews of other entries but cosmic dave took off with our copy... grrr....

Rob your right though Imakokode is always telling me to get a costume, and that I look so "unprofessional" and he's right....I guess I haven't yet gotten to that point yet.

With the porta-potty at least its not me in that shot =)

Yeah I ran out of Olive's in a rush,

left a ton of crap, well at least not my wallet this time.

Took a really cute picture I have some where of you and sebastian looking all peaceful sleeping....did you see all the uber fotos?

Andy Haus is here in the states now! When are you coming? Firedrums? Eh?

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I have to say this publically because I have been asked several times privately how I graded movement (not moves as in weave, bfly, etc but body movements)

Did you move?
Did you move with purpose or just seem to flail about?
Was movement relevent to prop/style?
Was movement fluid and eloquent within the style?
And holy hell, did the move look natural and not like you were counting a blocking pattern?...also with this, did it look natural on your body?
When you started a movement with your body, did you actually finish it or hurry through and move on to the next without a full completion? (this is a HUGE pet peeve of mine)

Pointing toes, and full extensions, etc. I didn't split hairs on because I know that there are many, MANY forms where you do not do these things. In lyrical and modern the most difficult and highly prized leg extensions are those with flexed feet. African uses them, as does Bolly and so many others. I know that not all cartwheels are gymnastic based and do not require full extension of the leg. In fact, when I took Capoeira maestro hammered into us to not fully extend or point because you have to land to be low, extensions impede that. I also know this from a bit of martial arts. It also depends on video style they were trying to achieve. Upon further (personal) viewing I can tell some of the influences, and some I could have commented more in depth on (for gods sake, if you don't know the proper way to do a snake arm, don't do it please!) but it was not part of my grading process.

Bluecat,
"still a lot of 'not reading the guidelines' unfortunately - using light, good focusing and tripods should be enforced with tazers."
I love you! hug

For spinny buzzsaw, did you take the time to concider if it was a performance vid or not tho? While it might make us ushy over it, it is something audiences EAT up.

As for the 3 minute. I thought about this. I can't blame anyone for doing it. You want to provide as much as you can to (hopefully) make it on the video. BUT, could this not also be a production critique on that the personages editting the thing together do not need to use all three minutes of every video selected? Just a thought.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Wow, finally got my Dvd today (yes, I know, I'm a bit behind the times), and I have to say, I can't believe how much the standard has improved!

In fact, its almost unrecognisable now. I detect a very pixie-like theme running through the few clips I've seen so far.

I'm very impressed, looking forwards to watching the rest of it.

(Only disadvantage is, that my hopes - if I had any - of ever being able to enter this are fast disappearing!)

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
Pricklyleaf, 8 years ago, i was a juggler convinced that i would never be decent at twirling and didn't dare try. your feelings about submitting a COL entry made me think about that smile

if you really dig something you do, it really shows. hug
just ignore all the holy hell naysayers and do it because you love it. can't lose, ey? ubbrollsmile

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Antti_EverythingGOLD Member
addict
446 posts

Posted:
Just got it this morning and I really tried to watch all of the entries but you know....

Some nice videos for sure. But to release my personal turmoil about fire arts in general here goes...

There was only one person on the dvd that I enjoyed watching "move". And that was Short Fusion. While the spinning wasn't that great, he clearly has some education in acrobatics and he was clean in his movement and dance. I just wish there would've been more of him doing that style. I think we need to set the standards a bit higher than a guy being able to hold his balance or a girl shaking it.

Having seen the Poism show live I have to say that it's still one of my favorite fire shows ever. And they can move and dance and their technique is ofcourse amazing and Asuka is beyond words. I'm not sure if it shows on this edited short version that well.

Best staffing was clearly MCP and M32. And I did enjoy the Zaobab in Africa video a lot. Japan really got some original styles and ATTITUDE, which most of the vids lacked.

I'm not saying I want to see only professional performers or high technical level. I can enjoy the spinning for fun videos. But atleast this time too many didn't seem to have much fun.

And I'm sad to say that the only time I went OMG!! (in a positive way) was seeing the fire fingers girl from the Nox Incendio video. ubblove

The negative OMGods would go to male hoops, bad make up and bad music. For starters.

I can say however good job everyone and congratulations for making it on the video. This is an important compilation and I did enjoy watching it. But once was enough.

Point your toes.

_Poiboy_PLATINUM Member
bastard child of satan
1,113 posts

Posted:
just wanted to say thanks to pele, josh, rob and meg for your tips and criticism, we're planning on using your tips soon as we're currently working on improving our routine.
I'm thinking our next entry will be more of a promo-style video rather than a filmed routine. it would hopefully have a 3rd member and our group will have a name.

addict
446 posts

Posted:
Ok one question. Is it ok to put the videos that were on the COL dvd online now? I got a lot of trouble from putting the full version of my vid online that was cut down on one of the previous COLs. So I deleted it from my website and then in the following competitions I made exclusive videos just for COL and Home of Poi to use believing you guys want the full rights to these videos and it would damage your income if I'd put my COL videos online. Till this day a lot of people haven't seen the classic Soy on Everything part 1 from RHD that was on COL 2004. And now I've seen a few videos from this and last years competitions online and on YouTube. So.... what's up?!?!

Point your toes.

georgemcBRONZE Member
2,387 posts

Posted:
The rules haven't changed at all from before - we still don't want people to post their COL videos on the internet.

This is because we believe it would affect the sales of the COL DVD, and since we have invested considerably in attracting the entries, then I think it's fair for us to have some concerns about this.
At the same time, we do not own the copyright on the entries so the owners of the videos CAN use them for other purposes - we would just hope they choose not to make them available for free and thereby jeopardize future COL competitions. It is probably fair for a few people to post their videos 6-12 months after that years COL is released, but to have them up now is not in the spirit of the community. Also of course, if a lot of people posted their videos then this might also have a negative impact on sales.

The COL DVD principal purpose is as stated - to share our love of the arts and to encourage growth in these arts through providing a medium for inspiring others. HoP invests several thousands of dollars each year in this purpose in COL prize money and costs. If it weren't for the prizemoney it is doubtful that COL would be what it is now, and if it weren't for the DVD sales, it is doubtful we could provide prizemoney. So I think it's fair to say that if something negatively affects the DVD sales then future COL DVD's would be in jeopardy.

We therefore hope that the few people who have already posted their COL2007 entries on the internet would re-think this.
At the same time, we also realise that for many people they desire the exposure that posting their video might provide. AND we know that in some cases the COL video is a reduced version of the entry that people want to share - (perfect example is Nick & Yuta's Poi Story "full length version") so we need to work out how we can achieve both these ends.

We want to sell lots of COL DVD's, so that we can provide prizes that attract great entries, so we can continue to inspire people to the arts. AND we want to allow people to see the alternate versions of the entries that couldn't fit the requirements, and allow exposure to the artists to help spread the love of the arts as well.

Let me know if you have any ideas or suggestions about this topic as it is something we need to consider all possible sides of. At the end of the day COL will be what the Community decides it is and the HoP business situation allows.

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

addict
446 posts

Posted:
Thank you for the reply. I have to think about what I'll do with the 2004 video from RHD. I would love more people to see it but I also like the idea of exclusive compilations of videos found nowhere else.

Point your toes.

6,978 posts

Posted:
as many people as possible need to see antti's twirling.
would an acceptable compromise be to allow him to release an incomplete, lo-fi quality snippet that includes mention of a full length, phat quality version on the COL DVD?

that would simultaneously increase exposure of nekobasu-san and nurture more interest on the COL series.

teasers can be for great justice!

georgemcBRONZE Member
2,387 posts

Posted:
Bender, that's a fine idea, but the 2004 video can be posted as is if desired since it is now 2007.

Another option could be a DVD made up of "advanced" COL clips???

grin

6,978 posts

Posted:
 Written by: georgemc

Bender, that's a fine idea, but the 2004 video can be posted as is if desired since it is now 2007.

That's freaking awesome. more soy for everybody!
Antti, i can post a mirror up on my site as soon as u reply to this thread with "That's ok bender, but don't touch me. I am made of soy."

Written by: georgemc

Another option could be a DVD made up of "advanced" COL clips???

advanced as in old? I'm able to sleep at night cus i know that it's harder to find clips of my first COL entry *gulp*

or advanced as in technical? What sets the COL series apart from other object manipulation videos is the art of it - there is flow, dance, locations, narrative and costuming that u won't find in a "Ladiesman238 - isolated butterfly weave in backyard.WMV" video. If there was to be a COL clip, i would like to see it emphasis the strengths of COL, distinguishing what is special rather than collecting technicality, which other videos can do well, dryly.

the more the COL series pushes this artistic envelope, the more entries it will attract from a very creative, wonderful perspective, such as the nosh video.

Non-Https Image Link

addict
446 posts

Posted:
That's ok Bender. I will choose when I'll put it online and where. Thanks anyway. Good to hear that it's ok with HoP.

Point your toes.

georgemcBRONZE Member
2,387 posts

Posted:
 Written by: bender

advanced as in old?
or advanced as in technical?

Ah, must learn to be more precise and/or slower with my rplies and check for meaning! footinmouth

What I really meant was the longer or alternate versions of the clips that the Community might want to see. Maybe it could be like a "CoL Special Request" compilation DVD that we build up over 2 or 3 years?? I dunno - thinking out loud here. And taking my "HoP HQ" hat off & just on a quiet personal note, I certainly agree with your "more Nosh" comment! ubblove wink

grin

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Argh!

Still haven't gotten around to posting on this... will do soon... cos there's something really interesting I want to post biggrin

x

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Ok...

So, I'm not going to comment on all the entries, just a few of the ones I liked more...

In general, the essence of COL remained... some good clips, some not so good... but the overall standard is definitely improved (as more 'moves' become popular, and people see what others are doing).

There were loads that seemed badly lit (but that might be to do with the DVD compression?!)...

There were also quite a few spinners who seemed to move without any real passion or energy for it (in my opinion). Of course, this is up to the individual - its just something I like to see. However, I do think it's important for performers to act with passion, and there were quite a few who didn't.

My favourites:

Zaobab - A worthy winner smile Brilliant scenery, great character and skills, his choice of music completely fitted his surroundings and he moved with that. Great work Dai... I'm really glad you entered wink Hope to see you soon!

MCP - Really should have been either joint first or second. I love this vid, and can watch it over and over again. Great musicality, amazing skills (of course!), elegant movement (not necessarily wiggly, but graceful), well shot and has a lovely energy.

Sandstone/Bender - Great movement and expression, scenery, skills, fans and props use... and nice costume smile lovely vid, bit too long slow mo though tongue

Fire Groove - Great promo vid, gorgeous shots, costumes, people... great movement and performance.

I also enjoyed:

M32 - Great work by Sandy, lovely shots, great editing...

Poism - lovely story, skills and movement

Poi Story - Great energy, lovely people and skills. Fantastic two person patterns - as you'd expect with these two!

Nosh - I liked it more on the third watch... good editing, and it's fun.

Also good:

Astro (good skills and hair), Ring of Fire (big smiles), Ninaruna (nice story), Burning Match (fun fight), Michael Farrell & Noelski (good energy), Infinitos, Elias.

So... well done to everyone who entered... it's loads of work and effort to put in a video to this competition, and well done to Dai biggrin

Btw, there is one entry you haven't seen!!!

It seems it got left out accidentally, but I think it's a fantastic video, with great musicality, beautiful shots, and just generally lovely...

It's by Synge (the guy who did the video at the end of COL 2006 with the cool pics and hardcore music smile )

Check it out here:

Nice one smile

Good luck to everyone for next year!!!

Clare

x
EDITED_BY: _Clare_ (1202910764)

Page: ...