Page:
georgemcBRONZE Member
Sitting down facing forward . . .
2,387 posts

Posted:
The wheels seem to turn slowly when you're waiting for something good, but now it's finally here!

DVD details page

Shop page

Judges and participants copies are being sent out now. People who suscribed to the e-mail notification should also have received their e-mail.

Now you can all prepare to be inspired all over again! ubbrollsmile

cheers
George

Written by: Doc Lightning talking about Marmite in Kichi's Intro thread

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

entheogenGOLD Member
173 posts

Posted:
Why is it that whenever anyone attempts to give any criticism whatsoever on this online community he/she gets immediately bashed? Sorry hippies, rain comes with the raimbows, and the roses have thorns. How do you expect anyone to ever come further when the only critique allowed was 'wow, this was really cool!'.

By any other artistic competition I know of, the judges nearly always give critique to the performer, normally face to face and many dont even bother finding a nice euphanism to 'I thought this part was crap'. I mean, thats the whole point to a COMPETITION, there's winners and losers and there's a normally a reason why this guy won and that one lost.

I havent seen the new COL, but I remember last year the whole thing made me a bit angry BECAUSE there was no feedback from the judges. And if I remember correctly I wasnt the only one irritated by this.

'There are two mantras in life, yum and yuk. I choose yum.'

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
See, cause since I've explained this all, I think ya'all are on a witch hunt at this point.

Let's see, ever notice when posts get shredded apart they lose meaning? Yeah, me too.

'K.

Ben...first part is called an introduction to a statement. It is the precurser to the rest of the *entirety* of the statement, which is used to support the introduction. I did that.

Let's see, the statement about diversity. Really? You can't figure out what other people are submitting? Lots of people didn't make it a secret and I am sure if you ask, they'll tell you. Also, check YouTube or the hot "new" toy and it's garunteed, COL will follow suit. Now, if you look at the film you are submitting and *know* you look exactly like another spinner/dancer/artist (which is a wonderful homage sure) and you are comfy with that, wonderful. However, it shouldn't be a shock when the observation is later made. Or you can use it as motivation to develope from there something your own and submit that, thus adding to the diversity. Not hard to figure out.

Let's see, the natural logic coming from the statement about so many of the "stories" being more story focussed and less skill focussed would be to balance that out. Hmmmm.

Yes, the statement about the videos submitted was misworded and for that, I apologize.

If I were to see the statement about something I was part of (and I have, which is how I know it works) that more diversity in tools and styles was needed, I would completely, as a participant, embrace that and use it to fuel me the following year. And I have. And it worked. And it progressed my own skills tremendously and I was so freakin' appreciative of the constructive criticism (and as long as it isn't a simple "you suck"- which I would *NEVER* say, then it can be learned from. Perhaps I thought that you would read then think things through instead of responding with what feels like a knee jerk reaction). To me that is what anyone who is passionate and serious about this would do, and those are the types of people that I assume are involved in this project. In fact, I *know* those are the types of people based on the private feedback I've given. So no, that entire statement would be beneficial to anyone who walks away and thinks about it.

I also find it interesting that two people not on the video are the ones attempting to make me feel bad about what I've said, while I've received emails and pm's from those on the video wanting feedback to improve their performance (which I have reiterated in all of them that it is just my opinion, and how I feel they could strengthen only their submission/choreography/etc.). For that I also praise and applaude those members for their extreme dedication to their craft because I know it is not an easy thing to do when you really want to hear "That was perfect!"

I would also like to add that is seems as if you are equating my being disappointed with aspects as my saying "This sucks", or at least that is how this is coming across.

I don't think the video sucks at all. Nor do I think any single submission does. I think it is a wonderful compilation, something for everyone involved to be tremendously proud of and we, meaning the people in my living room...not the judges (is that clearer now?) enjoyed it tremendously. I just feel that some of our (the people in my living room) expectations based on the participation of the people on this bb were not met and I found that disappointing.

And for that, we are *all* responsible for not submitting.

I also find it interesting that no one has yet addressed the fact that I also mentioned how unfair I felt it was and my suggestion of a division next year, as a form of constructive criticism. Goes back to picking and choosing what you want to use methinks.

Yeah...whatever.

Witch out...and by out I mean, removing from this discussion unless it actually progresses from here.
EDITED_BY: Pele (1194377543)

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
hey, lets make peace, just relinquish your judging position wink

T wave

p.s. "she's a witch!"

"how do you know?"

"well shes dressed up like one..."

(witch) "you dressed me up like this!"

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Tragic that this thread has become a tit for tat dissection of words.

If you want to dissect anything, how about the subject at hand - that being COL 2007?

I, *personally* (do we all need to include that disclaimer now?) really enjoyed 85% of the DVD and applaud all the entrants. The performances, the locations, the costuming was, most of the time, fantastic and a vast improvement on previous years and for that, I (again personally) thank you all! Zaobab is my new hero, and Elias (still not) On Fire managed to reinspire me to pick up my toys. Fire Groove rocked my planet and I dig sexy people performing well to their audience. So much hooping!!! (anyone else giggle at that word; other connotations...) Accoutrement de jour.

Yes, there was some amateur stuff, and also some things that I personally didn't love - but that's just me and I get enchanted by shiny things, but overall this DVD is leaps and bounds ahead of it's earlier incarnations.

Well done all, and thanks very much for your efforts, time and courage to be reviewed by your peers. smile

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
 Written by: entheogen

Why is it that whenever anyone attempts to give any criticism whatsoever on this online community he/she gets immediately bashed?

I disagree, when i used to watch the videos in the video forum i would give specific criticism such as at at 1.42 your left hand is making dinosaur arms, try spinning and just concentrating on your left arm etc etc etc. To me this is constructive as it translates directly into results.

By any other artistic competition I know of, the judges nearly always give critique to the performer, normally face to face and many dont even bother finding a nice euphanism to 'I thought this part was crap'. I mean, thats the whole point to a COMPETITION, there's winners and losers and there's a normally a reason why this guy won and that one lost.

This is a community project with the "Primary objective: To share our love for these arts". My understanding is that the goal is not to find the next pussycat doll of fire spinning but to create something where people feel good about their entry and proud to share it with their friends.

I don't understand how phrases like "*extremely* disappointing", "freshman film class project", "severe lack of diversity", "I was disappointed" etc are constructive or help the entrants feel good about what they have achieved.

I remember last year the whole thing made me a bit angry BECAUSE there was no feedback from the judges. And if I remember correctly I wasnt the only one irritated by this.

I agree that specific feedback from the judges to each entry would be very valuable to the entrants.

Written by: Pele

Perhaps I thought that you would read then think things through instead of responding with what feels like a knee jerk reaction)

I'm going to put it down to a difference in teaching styles/cultural difference, whenever I am helping someone to improve I always try to phrase things in the positive so that they feel good about trying. If you where helping your son with his homework you wouldn't say, "don't be an idiot you do it like this" no doubt it would be more along the lines of "see how you did this here well try doing this" its the same message but one builds confidence where the other does not.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
actually to be quite honest i got a little aroused at certain points on the video biggrin

kinda became a habit around the same time i got into 'these arts'

my only criticism is that ben's impersonation of meg is not at all true to her col 2007 entry. i expect an apology on my desk by monday, Dr longstaff!!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
Post deleted by ben-ja-men

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

Bender - I thought your video was great. Strong postures and creative movement, but I would like to see a little more extension of your lines. ubbrollsmile

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
 Written by: ben-ja-men

Written by: flash fire

also some people should heed the movie Hackers and understand that "spandex is a privilege, not a right"

Yeah! The move hackers IS beneficial to all concerned! Man, that's such a good movie!

This makes me excited... does col have spandex in it? Can I find a copy of hackers to watch it again?! Will my col dvd ever arrive?!? Will I ever get to see someone shouting and doing S staffs?!?! Will I take the piss out of my own entry?!?!?!

ZOMG! ubbloco

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
applauds miss flash.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Having watched it again last night, some further comments..

Bender - Really nice to see fans done in a different style to the norm. A small shame the film quality wasn't a smidge better...

Fire dance with light - Nice show, and that's a fat flame coming off the staff. I would've liked to see more of the fire-sphere-thing, very interesting prop.

Petey - Beautiful location and top-notch spinning. Smile wink

Burning Match - I nearly skipped yours, but so glad I didn't. So funny, and some nice moves in there too. Only real crit I could offer would be the long-distance shots were fairly dark.

Nosh (I think it was Nosh...) - That was the most bizzare spinning video I've ever watched, definitely in a good way. Sweet editing.

Noel, Greg and Dave - Nice manipulation and skills, not sure a porta-loo makes for the best backdrop though wink

Elias - Very pretty and top skills. In terms of video i would've chopped the camera angles up a bit more...

Only general comment which applies to a few would be the "Just because you've got 3 minutes, you don't have to use it all". It's very hard to take a step back from your own video and say "That's enough", but a few videos seemed to go on just-that-bit too long. For this reason, I'd give an honorable mention to "Short Fusion" for not being afraid to limit the time.

That's all I can remember at the moment...

Funniest bit of the DVD?

First music credit - "Juicy Meatstick" ubblol

Class.

(Also "Flamming Passion" - enthusiastic drummers? wink )
EDITED_BY: Durbs (1194434033)

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Pele

I also find it interesting that no one has yet addressed the fact that I also mentioned how unfair I felt it was and my suggestion of a division next year, as a form of constructive criticism.

Previous disagreements aside... I'm still not sure about this, it ultimately boils down to what the "competiton" aspect of CoL is about.
In my mind, it's "Best Video" - and in judging this, I don't think a pro/am division would make a difference. A mediocre spinner can make a kick-ass video, just as a spinning-jedi can make a terrible one.
Maybe the hard-core pro's have access to state-of-the-art hardware and top-notch video-editors, but equally you might get newbies coming to spinning from a video-editting background.
To me, the "best video" would be the one I can watch over-and-over again, that I can show to spinners and non-spinners and they'll both be equally wowed. Whether this is due to some awesome tech-level manipulation (as long as it's well presented), or some artsy-editing and strong visuals.
I have to say, I don't really watch manipulation videos for their artistic value - i watch them to learn; whether moves, styles or even just video ideas.
But I can still look at a video and say "That was beautiful depsite them only doing a sloppy windmill", and i'd re-watch it and show it to others purely as eye-candy.

I don't think CoL showboats tech-spinning, nor do I think it should. If I want to watch and learn technique, i'll browse YouTube, DailyMotion etc - free, easily watchable and no faffing about. But 9/10 aren't "good videos" they're just interesting.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
[complete side-note]
Would it be possible to have a HoP-name list against each of the videos? I had no idea Flow Garden was Kahn for example (nice vid by the way smile ) - it's just nice to put a name to a video in a "oooooooo that's who you are" way smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

dbrgBRONZE Member
8 posts

Posted:
I Totally agree with you Durbs!
For me the purpose of the DVD is not to see good spinning, but to to see good spinning *video*. The DVD have one main purpose - to inspire. Inspiring video for me will be a one that did something that hasn't done before. New artistic idea, new choreography, new style.
I want COL to do for spinning what "Hero" did to martial arts. To use the media to extract something more powerful than the spinning itself.
I tried to do this in my entry (Burning Match). It was a comic entry more then the next thing in spinning because this is my style, but my goal was to use the video to create something special. A video-art, and not just a documented routine.
Pele, maybe it is worth to split the DVD into two different things: one to show the most hot things in spinning, the best moves, hardest tricks etc', and the second to show artistic creations in which the video take a part greater then a media to spread the routine.

Durbs, I'm glad you liked it! The long-distance shots were really dark because they didn't catch the light from the side-torches... Next time we will use extra lighting...

Daniel

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
like a skateboad style 'hardest trick' competition..... ?

gay tongue

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Durbs

[complete side-note]
Would it be possible to have a HoP-name list against each of the videos? I had no idea Flow Garden was Kahn for example (nice vid by the way smile ) - it's just nice to put a name to a video in a "oooooooo that's who you are" way smile

I had the same thought and completely agree. So many people have said something under one name about their video that was under another and I've been piecing them together slowly.
I understand that for a group it could get messy, but I don't think it needs to be in the headers. An aside list maybe?

Pele

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
Hurrah! my copy arrived today. Havnt had a chance to watch it yet but will watch it after our weekly burn tonight and post my impressions accordingly.

As to the idea of dividing COL, i have mixed feelings about this. It really depends on how you would split it up. I dont think that having a pro's and a amature category would be sensible. I know a number of amazing spinners who arnt professional and a number of professionals that arent that amazing.

Im more in favour of having a technical / skill level catagory and an artistic interpretation category. Which category you prefer is a matter of taste but i think that most people can appreciate something done well in either, spliting the 2 would take away judging bias dependant on taste (e.g. i like technical spinning more than dancey stuff, so if i was a judge i would be more likly to vote for the technically proficient, splitting the categories would force me to consider both and make it fairer)

"Don't do it naked!"

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by: -sandy-

Hurrah! my copy arrived today. Havnt had a chance to watch it yet but will watch it after our weekly burn tonight and post my impressions accordingly.

As to the idea of dividing COL, i have mixed feelings about this. It really depends on how you would split it up. I dont think that having a pro's and a amature category would be sensible. I know a number of amazing spinners who arnt professional and a number of professionals that arent that amazing.
Im more in favour of having a technical / skill level catagory and an artistic interpretation category. Which category you prefer is a matter of taste but i think that most people can appreciate something done well in either, spliting the 2 would take away judging bias dependant on taste (e.g. i like technical spinning more than dancey stuff, so if i was a judge i would be more likly to vote for the technically proficient, splitting the categories would force me to consider both and make it fairer)

I like this, and your rationale for it as well.
Thank you.
beerchug

Pele

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Good idea, in theory...

But then you've got 2 competitions (regardless if there's 1st, 2nd 3rd places - it's still a comp to get on the DVD), and I really wouldn't like to judge the tech' category.
Hardest moves make it on? Best explained make it on? Which is in fact more tech - prayer steve or inverted 7-bt atomic weave smile

Plus I think you'd lose a lot of entrants - dare I use the word "amateur"... The single-camera angle, single-shot performances. Unless of incredible choreography or beautiful movement, they wouldn't count as artistic, yet knowing roughly where the bar is to be classed as "tech", they might not feel they can enter into this category either.
Whilst you could argue (and I'd probably agree) this would make for a better DVD - it wouldn't be as community focussed as CoL currently is.

Again it comes down to what CoL is, what it should be, and what it could be smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
https://www.michaelminn.net/andros/index.php?has_ballet_become_track_and_field

close to my heart.

Can a community dvd also be a competition? Is another question.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:

But then you've got 2 competitions (regardless if there's 1st, 2nd 3rd places - it's still a comp to get on the DVD), and I really wouldn't like to judge the tech' category.
Hardest moves make it on? Best explained make it on? Which is in fact more tech - prayer steve or inverted 7-bt atomic weave smile

I dont think having 2 competitions would be that hard to deal with, you just split the DVD into 2. As for judging it, meh id do it, probly quite enjoy it. Recon you'd need to ask fairly techy spinners to judge it, in order to be fair they should be proficient in more than one prop (oh and 7bt inverted atomic is blatantly harder than a prayer steve tongue). Something along the line of hardest trick done smoothly, obviously taking the whole video into consideration.

Plus I think you'd lose a lot of entrants - dare I use the word "amateur"... The single-camera angle, single-shot performances. Unless of incredible choreography or beautiful movement, they wouldn't count as artistic, yet knowing roughly where the bar is to be classed as "tech", they might not feel they can enter into this category either.
Whilst you could argue (and I'd probably agree) this would make for a better DVD - it wouldn't be as community focussed as CoL currently is.

Again it comes down to what CoL is, what it should be, and what it could be smile

The beautiful movement part being the important bit here i think. I was more refering to the artistry of the spinning style than of the videography but id say both would go in the same category. If someone enters CoL they must think they stand at least a small chance of getting on the DVD otherwise they wouldnt enter in the first place, they are either good looking spinners or have put a lot of effort into their video. Either way it encourages people to make more of an effort for CoL. No effort, not gonna make it on.

"Don't do it naked!"

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Crux of the matter - Spinning should never be a competition. Hence a "Video competition" is a workable get-around, as long you're still judging the videos, not the skills.

However I think the competition aspects needs to remain in order to get people to enter in the first place...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
Fair. A little friendly competiton is a good thing to keep you working, just as long as it stays friendly mind rolleyes

"Don't do it naked!"

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
Id just like to add a little....

BEST THREAD EVER!!!

Can we get back to the internet drama/fighting though?

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Shut up Poje, you suck

wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

6,978 posts

Posted:
let's keep a beautiful thing simple.
i really don't have any huge problem with the COL video.
dividing up entries into particular fields will tempt some participants to focus on only one aspect to the detriment of the others - that will make baby jesus cry.

trusting artists with the biggest lattitude to do their thang - i likes that and from my enjoyment of this latest video, it sure works for me.

so much to appreciate, let's just drop the bickering ey? There is definitely disagreement amongst ourselves on what makes a graet video, so let's jsut drop the accusations witchhunts, hey? This video is an amazing thing of beauty, my favourite art on film - such comments do not befit it's discussion.

lastly, i'd like to note that to my understanding the videos were listed on the inside sleeves by video name and not by artist name. I have the artist names tatooed to the inside of my left thigh however I am wearing courdoroy slacks right now and cannot access it unneath all that heavily surfaced cotton.

b

ps, i am lovin all that fire staff in COL 2007 smile

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
well said bender smile

hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

6,978 posts

Posted:
wow i read that like twice before i posted it and so many spelling errors.
parts of this discussion make me feel stupid - i realise that all contributors in this thread are passionate about this, and that not agreeing with one another on some points will then turn the passion into sparks... however I am at a loss to understand why internetz land causes us to react to disagreement this way.
there is so much common ground between us all!! like for example meg likes to waer miniskirts. i too like miniskirts, and enjoy the thrill of choosing colours that complement-but-not-quite match the available colours of concentrate staves.

you all obviously have the right to voice disagreement, particularly if it is on something not mentioned here already. you all also have the right to share in depth just why this latest COL vid just makes you wanna rock out with your naughty bits out!!

Non-Https Image Link

ps i love this video and will henceforth will name my firstborn 'COL-face the first'*

6,978 posts

Posted:

* promises will not be honoured

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
Ok. I've just watched it round at Oli's and here are my (mildly inebriated) first impressions.

Overall it is the best COL i have seen to date. The videos never drop below ok and range to the bloody good. Music was really nice as were the locations people chose. The DVD looks professional and i really like the chapter selector, a good choice of stills in every case.
Individualy the ones that stood out to me were (in order of appearance):

Zaobab in Africa - Great location and a very cool toy. The shooting was nice as was the edit, and, most importantly (to me) the spinning was interesting and fluid with a nice style to it.

Sandstone Shadow - Again a great location. Bender, i really like your style with staff, ive seen a little before but this is the best ive seen.

Ring of Fire - Some of the film quality left a little to be desired but the spinning was fluid and had plenty of energy. Also, as im a bloke, extra points for being scantily clad and attractive.

Poi story - Really fun video. When it first started i wasnt so keen but i finished the video loving it. The spinning was great, i just would have liked more.

Nosh - Enjoyed this one too. Fun and playfull and had some nice edit points.

MCP - Well Meg, im a little biased cos i always enjoy watching you spin, but you've done a pretty good job, nice one. Particularly liked the edit when you roll across the floor. Not gonna bother commenting on your spinning cos you know you suck.

Burning Match - This made me laugh. Its not the first time ive seen a fire fight type thing but its the one i most enjoyed. The laid on sound effects really did for me.

Ebb and Flow - nice location and some good spinning. Not as tight as some but far more interesting than most.

Fire Grove - I liked it but it was a bit too MTV for my taste. There was obviously some expensive cameras involved and an editor who knew their stuff. There was some pretty good spinning but im afraid i marked it down because it was too slick. Kinda came across as too commercial.

In my own i can only poke holes but the general consensus in the room was encouraging, just wish id bothered to put on a costume.

I would be interested to know how many entries were recieved for COL this year, was it lots and these were the best or do not many people bother submitting but the general standard has improved?

Anyway, im glad i own this, its cool.

"Don't do it naked!"

Page: