Page: ...
georgemcBRONZE Member
Sitting down facing forward . . .
2,387 posts

Posted:
The wheels seem to turn slowly when you're waiting for something good, but now it's finally here!

DVD details page

Shop page

Judges and participants copies are being sent out now. People who suscribed to the e-mail notification should also have received their e-mail.

Now you can all prepare to be inspired all over again! ubbrollsmile

cheers
George

Written by: Doc Lightning talking about Marmite in Kichi's Intro thread

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
Whee!

And now to get ready for COL 2008 and put it off and not get an entry in again biggrin

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

georgemcBRONZE Member
2,387 posts

Posted:
NO! MR BRENN!! mad

Thou SHALT not put it off. THou SHALT be inspired and submit an entry for COL2008...

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
oooooOOOoooo the promo looks wicked copy ordered biggrin

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

georgemcBRONZE Member
2,387 posts

Posted:
indeedy - you are the first official order - "limited edition copy # 1" coming your way tomorrow! biggrin

thanks! hug

grin

Blayzen ButterflyGOLD Member
62 posts

Posted:
Yay!! I've ordered my copy clap

"You dozed, and watched the night revealing
The thousand sordid images
Of which your soul was constituted"

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
Ordered, excited. /cheer

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

dbrgBRONZE Member
8 posts

Posted:
Yey!
COL2007 at last....
I have an entry on this one (Burning Match), and I'm really looking forward to see all the other entries!
George, how much time it will take to announce the winners?

Daniel

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
 Written by: georgemc

NO! MR BRENN!! mad

Thou SHALT not put it off. THou SHALT be inspired and submit an entry for COL2008...

All kinda depends... The awesomeness of the entries might put me off ubblol

hug

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

georgemcBRONZE Member
2,387 posts

Posted:
Timing is:
1) we send the DVD's to the judges (sent yesterday/today) and wait for them to be delivered - usually within 2 weeks.
2) judges need some time to view and provide feedback - a couple of days to a week. (no pressure
3) Malcolm reviews and decides - probably the same day as the last feedback received.

so we're talking 2-3 weeks away (all going well).

grin

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
bounce

biggrin

Getting to the other side smile

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
 Written by: _Clare_

bounce

i concur biggrin

hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
Wow, time flies! Seems like just yesterday I was getting all excited about COL2006... Don't get paid until next week though.

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
So, am i going to get my little sample sized jar of Marmite?

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

georgemcBRONZE Member
2,387 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Poje

So, am i going to get my little sample sized jar of Marmite?

We didn't want to risk setting off the bio hazard warning system since your customs folk don't seem to understand about the marmitey goodness frown
Maybe next time! biggrin

grin

georgemcBRONZE Member
2,387 posts

Posted:
Excuse the double post! We've started getting the calls and mails that I knew we would once the DVD was released...

"What's that amazing looking thing I've never seen before in the Zaobab in Africa video?"

Dai is the man of the moment here. We knew there'd be interest in this (heck - we were fascinated!) so I contacted him to ask about them. He calls them "Buugeng" - a Japanese word derived from:

"Bu" (pronounced Boo) as in Bushi/Bushido - meaning relating to warriors or martial arts

"Gen" (pronounced Ggen not Jen) meaning illusion

So "Buugeng" means "Martial art Illusion"

I'm trying to convince Dai to help us bring the Buugeng to the community. He is currently travelling so this might take a while, in the meantime I am sure Dai would love to hear from you - his contact details are on the COL2007 details page.

Edited Buugeng spelling
EDITED_BY: georgemc (1193608252)

grin

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
woohoo - ordered! bounce

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Yep, I'm in ubbrollsmile
It looks fantastic!

(And also got a nice new pair of leather handles I've been meaning to get for ages. Nice marketing there, Malcolm wink

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
I think Dai is using S-staffs, isn't he?

I think Michael Moschen had them in a video, then Bryan/Banyan/Heph was using them when we were out in Thailand in January...

They are splendid though smile

Nice preview... looking forward to seeing the full copy biggrin

x

Getting to the other side smile

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
I have to wait until xmas! bounce

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
my copy arrived today.. just about to have a watch smile

hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
I love the new menu - makes searching by artists so easy.

dai's 'zoabab in africa' clip was breathtaking - thank you for taking a new direction in COL videos!

loved the sauciness of spiral fire hoop dance.

i liked ninaruna's elf ears. makes me want to have hairy feet!

nox incendio looked quite polished, there was excellent lighting, costuming, framing however the cuts were very short.

much respect to the yummy performance by yuta & asuka for their posim clip. lovely atmosphere and blending of fire and glow equipment.

my *fave* video has to be the cheeky, strongly narrative entry by nosh (by grubby pumpkin theatre?), featuring pedro chiba. yay pedro! i'm a sucker for non technical, story, driven work.

this compilation is STRIDES more polished than any previous COL. design, chapter menus, standard of twirling (and i don't mean just tricks - simply artistry. love all the emphasis on dance.

love your work, hop smile thanks for givin me a chance to share the new direction i've taken in pusuing fire fans work. I'm lucky to be one of the 29 that made it onto the disc.

b

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
to add to that list, the marvelous (and modest) bender.. always amazing to see you spin mister smile

also, was that half moon bay?

hug

Blayzen ButterflyGOLD Member
62 posts

Posted:
I got mine today bounce

So inspired by far outstanding performances by amazing spinners clap

I'm going to go watch it again bounce2

"You dozed, and watched the night revealing
The thousand sordid images
Of which your soul was constituted"

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I have to agree with the DVD itself, the menus, the artist selection, etc being better than before.
The music as well.
Props for that!

Beyond that, I was disappointed.

There was a severe lack of diversity on this thing. The staves, all done to varying skills, were all done extremely similarly. Same with the hoops. And the fact that it was sooo completely heavy in these areas as well. Watching these every year one can not only determine the hot topic of what prop to use but also what the newest focus of movement groups with that group are.
This also reflects back to another discussion I've been in about how so many HoP spinners now look alike because of the common influence. I could literally look at people and go "Oh, that's Nicks influence"

Story driven was another hot thing this year, in several videos we felt, to the detriment of actually showing spinning skill. There were a few I can think of where the story was far more emphasized and skills were shown but a fraction of the video time. That was *extremely* disappointing, since this is actually a spinning/skill video, not a- as one of the viewers in my living room put it- freshman film class project.

The group thing, the "more fire is better" was big as well, with some of the people in those groups not really doing much but waving something around in the back. To the point where at times it was obvious that was what sent it was actually a performance demo video and not one made for the competition. At that point it felt very much like commercials for these groups.

My favorites were the ones not so contrived. I'm at work so I don't have the exact names in front of me but I love to see people spin in the park in daylight. I love seeing backyard spinners. I love seeing people *spin* more than I care about all of the effects, the stories, the other contrived bit as that is what I thought this was for.

I understand that HoP worked with the videos they were given and they did a bang up job with it.

I also think that there was alot of really good and strong artistry displayed and that I really enjoyed watching it from that aspect.

However, we (as we had a large group viewing it) would have prefered to see more diversity, in styles and in tool list.

Perhaps next year there should be two levels? Amatuer and Professional because, quite frankly, I think that it is *exceedingly* unfair to put the two different calibers in the same competition. If you are going to continue to accept entries of that nature, and you should absolutely!, there should be a dividing line for them then.
And within the "pro" group vs. solo/duo.
Just a thought.

I enjoyed it very, very much and give large kudos to those who worked hard to put it together, but wanted to offer up some feedback about what we thought of it overall, instead of just saying opinions about individuals on the video.

Nice job all.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
I have to say I mostly agree with Pele's assessment of the overall project. I loved the menu design and the color chosen for the packaging! It's the color of California poppies. That seems like a silly or minor thing to comment about, but really, it's a nice package.

I was psyched to see so much hoop represented, but I too was struck by the sameness of the hooping styles. I actually think there would be more diversity of hoop styles visible if people focused on normal hoops instead of fire hoops. I could say more on that but that's not what this thread is about.

It seems to me that people all over the world learning things from the same YouTube videos is a contributing factor to the sameness evident in the spinning styles on display here.

All that being said, I'm both humbled and honored to have been included. I feel a little weird about my own entry though, because my hooping style has developed quite a bit since the video was filmed six months ago. Next time it'll be all hoop and no poi. I'm one of those spinners heavily influenced by Nick, and my honest assessment of my own spinning is I haven't yet managed to move beyond that influence and hooping is really where my heart is these days anyway.

Thank you Malcolm & George & crew! Both for your work on this project, and including my little video. biggrin

*edit*

Just wanted to mention too it was really cool seeing Nick & Yuta teamed up. It was like watching two favorite superheroes join forces! Also I've never seen Sandy spin before and was really quite blown away.

*2nd edit*

Watched it all again and been thinking more on the diversity of styles/tools question. I disagree that there wasn't a diversity of tools, I thought this collection was quite diverse in that regard. With styles, that has more to do with who submits more than anything else, I think. I do think that the overall level of the technical skills on display is higher on this one than in previous.
EDITED_BY: _khan_ (1194116849)

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Best COL by a mile. I may even be so inspired that I'll pick up my toys for the first time in what feels like years.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
*awaits the post man*

smile

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
i just got it and watched it. Ive only seen some of COL 06 and no others, based on that, I think the video was awesome. I gotta say Contact staff FTW. I'm so excited to see that much staff in the video. I loved it. Great job San Fran crew, Meg, Sandy, awesome. Umm ya good job everyone keep on spinnig.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
i've gotta agree with pele. i did feel a lot of the hoop was rather repetitive, and (to me) no specific hoop routine seemed to stand out from the rest.. but thats just one guys opinion..

on the whole though, the standard of CoL itself has been bumped up a notch or two, and well done to Malcolm and George for that smile hug

cheeres, petey hug

FireBabeBRONZE Member
3 posts

Posted:
I love hearing everybodys feedback! I think there were some brilliant entries this year and personally I love to see the creativity that people put into it rather than just the same old thang. Some of the stories were funny and it's great to see fire dancers personalities coming through the TV. Some of my favorites were: Fire dance with light, Poi Story, Paulino and Short Fusion. I was really disappointed to see that somehow our entry (Fire Groove) got sped up or something frown Not sure if that happend with our editor or at HOP. Owell. We are honored to be part of the this year and can't wait to find out who won!! Good luck to everybody!

Hannah
Fire Groove

Page: ...