Forums > Help! > what poi should do you guys recommend {fire and LED}

Login/Join to Participate

firestartedGOLD Member
28 posts

Posted:
Okay guys, I've a few questions... but here's some info first:
My name's Ken, I'm Irish, I busk regularly and spin poi for clubs indoor with some standard HoP soft glowballs (cool but the lights too weak) and I used to use standard Poi Poi tube heads but now I have HoP monkey fists.

There's a veritable arsenal of poi available online. I'd like to ask for other peoples experience rather than just buy poi, see they're not what I'm after and then sulk, penniless.

now onto the questions:

LED poi:
when in the name of God are hyperlights out (like 100% ready to buy online)?
are flowpoi duo's (or uggs?) worth buying while i wait for hyperlights?
Has anyone in Ireland or the UK bought from flowtoys and if so how long did they take to arrive?

Fire poi:
I have monkeyfists (65mm) but I was disappointed with the flame size eek(but only the flame size wink, mind you:P {^_^}!) and i look at alot of poi sites, Nick from playpoi recommends Isis head poi from salza.se, are they any good? anyone bought any?
fire snakes: salza also sell good looking snakes, are they any good? can you do buzzsaws with snakes?
in a fight to the death do HoP snakes or Salza snakes look better?

Basically I will fork out for good poi, coz I make the money back gigging, I don't wanna buy crap though, I love poi, ubblove I wanna get nice kit for clubs cool, strong lights and big flames.

help me out. i know there's alot being asked in this but surely this is a common dillema, i hope i don't get in trouble for a cry out for help :P
ubbangel

is it wierd of me asking about buying other products than HoP ones, on HoP? {MOD NOTE, check my acc, I buy loads of stuff from you wink wink)

Thanks in advance, please be really pedantic in your replies!

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
 Written by: firestarted

Nick from playpoi recommends Isis head poi from salza.se, are they any good? anyone bought any?

Nick is right.

I have Isis fire poi from Salza and they are fanstastic. I have never seen anything like them elsewhere.

The Kevlar rope is knotted in a complex pattern that allows a lot of air in. That gives huge long lasting flames that stay even over the burn. Like monkey fists, they have no excess metal in the head, but they are still pretty heavy especially when loaded with fuel (and they take loads!). So I only dip them for a few seconds, that's plenty for me as I am a weak girlie type. They last for just ages!

The chains they come with are great too, strong but light. So the weight is in the head, which gives them great momentum, easy to manouevre, good for stalls etc. The chain is plaited right down into the head, very secure. All the links and connectors are sturdy and easy to use.

The only weakness I found was the nylon handles: I meant to change to leather ones as the originals were too tight, stiff and chafed. But then they got burnt in a clumsy second and I wrecked them anyway. Melted. Ugh. Nasty things.

Overall I would say if you want great fire poi, buy the Isis with the Salza chains and specify leather handles. They really aren't dear for what you get. I think mine cost about 75 Euros at the EJC last year.

Enjoy!

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
That's not a complex pattern, that's barrel stitch! It's the same thing you do in gimp/boondoggle or whatever you want to call it. The plastic string stuff you learn to make keychains with in summer camp. There's a lot of manufacturers here who do that stitch with 1" cloth, but I haven't seen it with rope before. Since you already have your own chains, I'd recommend you just make your own. It's less expensive and more fun. But then I always say that.

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"

JauntyJamesSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,533 posts

Posted:
Oh, and if you check out the hyperlights thread in technical discussions, Jon says that they'll probably be out closer to November (he said that a week ago). I just ordered a pair of duos to tide me over until the hyperlights are out, and until I have enough money to buy them. Flowpoi has an offer for free rechargeable batteries and a charger with orders over $75 right now, so if you're going to get them, get them before Nov. 7th.

-James

"How do you know if you're happy or sad without a mask? Or angry? Or ready for dessert?"