Forums > Social Discussion > Enrolled to vote? (Australian Hopers?)

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
Enrolled to vote? (Australians?)

As you may or may not know the election was called over the weekend.

Due to changes in the enrolment process if you want to vote now only have until 8pm Wednesday to do so.

So if you want to vote get in quick and enrol, don’t for get to remind your friends too.

lots'o'love,

Blue

Ps. Here is a funny video about the subject.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ha8F3KqDrts

EDITED_BY: Blueberry (1192423442)

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Medusa

As for my site it is the best one I have been to yet....all the facilities are new...I have one of the newest rooms, own bathroom, TV and DVD player in room....really modern gym,...etc etc.

They are continually upgrading the camp.

You camp to vote? confused

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
the micro thread-hijack refers to the joys of the mining camp; a collection of what are effectively shipping containers with walls, beds, and if you're lucky, dunnies in them. And fat men with beards in hi-vis shirts. Lots of them.

I want to be wrong about Rudd, I really do, but already the unions are gathering like a pack of dogs, demanding everything their way. As that minister bloke said on the telly "Rudd couldn't win a fight against Winnie the Pooh, let alone the unions."

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I heard something on the news last night that I liked because it raised an interesting point:

Did Rudd win?
Or did Howard lose?

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Eera

I want to be wrong about Rudd, I really do, but already the unions are gathering like a pack of dogs, demanding everything their way.

I wanted to be wrong about Howard, I really did, but big business were gathering like a pack of dogs demanding everything their way.

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
And is it any coincidence that the economy is going pretty damn well?

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
aye - but thats all the liberals have been concerned about - economy/business has always been their no. 1 focus. but theres more to life than the economy & personally i feel some focus in other areas of running australia is needed.

Written by: Rouge

Did Rudd win?

Or did Howard lose?

Rudd definitely won - he outmanouvered, outplayed, and most importantly out-mediaed Howard (and when your playing for public perception, media is everything). he suprised everyone and despite constantly looking insufferably smug most of the time - well hes entitled to feel good about himself wink

Howard definitely lost - he screwed up, completely lost touch with public perception, his other coalition MPs made numerous mistakes. seriously does is a man like Kevin Andrews even get elected let alone given a ministry??

Last time Howard beat Latham on the economy - thats what seemed important at the time. oh and Latham was a bit psychotic as well...

But its been a long few years since then - the publics priorities and fears have changes. Howard plays the economy card again, and australia said 'bugger off, we'll have the dull but competent guy who looks like a dentist' or words to similar effect.
EDITED_BY: Dentrassi (1196392262)

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
yeah some of it certainly is coincidence;

massive growth in international markets driving up demand / price for resources etc etc,
world wide economic stability.
Ever increasing international investment from Super funds artificially driving stock values...these are things that the Liberal govt has had very little impact on - and yet result in a 'strong economy'.

Things that they have done to contribute to our 'strong economy';

Selling off numerous public assets and taxing 'normal people' at a higher rate than ever before...(an no I'm not just talking about income tax - I'm talking about all the hidden taxes, GST, Stamp duties, fuel Tarriffs etc etc )

All while removing benefits from a growing number of people by calling them employed when actually they are working 4 hours a week etc etc (oh yeah - thats right we have low unemployment...right...)

Frankly I think this 'economy' is an extremely slippery concept - and doesnt neccessarily transfer to actually living in a good country.

is it a coincidence that housing affordability is at an all time low?

how about the cost of food rising faster than annual increases in incomes? is that a coincidence?

what about childcare?

-our public health system is up the creek in the face of privatisation, -public education is going the same way...
-if you want to get anywhere quick you need to pay to drive on the roads.

rolleyes

This always happens - Liberals sell off all the actual assets that Labor governments spend time and money building, in order to make a quick buck and look clever. Then people get tired of being shafted, and vote Labor back in to cleanup the mess. Then people start to get greedy and swing back to liberal all over again.

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Mum and I think that Costello looks like Frank Burns from M*A*S*H

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

(Interestingly enough, in trying to find these pictures, something else thought he looks like Frank Burns too cos I found my Costello pic under the same search as "frank burns" ubblol )

Note the lack of lips

"I could never trust a man who looks like Frank Burns" - Mum

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
I'm not disagreeing with you, there are things that are seriously ratf***ed with the country; the lack of compulsory paid maternity leave in line with ILO recommendations, public transport is a joke etc.

But there has been good management of the country in general, and you can't simply wholesale dismiss a government saying "they screwed the place up" when it is simply not true.

Notice how your super is now tax-free? It's because there is an alternative income stream for the government in GST. Keating's bleatings about "we'll have to start taxing super again" is a little alarming as if there's decent management, we won't have to.

There's a crisis in the farming industry which means we're importing more and more (incidentally, the agricultural industry has been running on AWAs since the early '90s, and it's terrified about an imminent ban as to what it's going to do to the price it has to set for produce).

Frankly, Labor is no longer Labor in the strict sense that it used to be. Are they really going to undertake an asset buy-back, or do what Blair did; realise they had better things to do with their released funds and quietly let it slip. All parties are now fighting for the political-centre as they know that's what's going to get them re-elected.

Dispite the impression I give, I did not vote Liberal, I summed up what the parties claimed they had to offer and voted accordingly.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
I’m not sure about sour grapes; chances are Costello resigned because Turnbull has the numbers.

I don’t think the Libs screwed up the country so much as they screwed the workers and lied to the electorate.

As far as the economy goes, it certainly looks like the Libs were living of the back of a mining boom rather than being that great at managing the economy.

my 10 cents worth wink

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
Change was needed Howard was a rat but we knew it .

If anybody thinks Rudd a union man your wrong all he want's to quash is awa's.

Rudds already signed up to the kioto (sp) protocol.
So a least he seems he'll stick to his word.

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

Page: