Forums > Social Discussion > Online: You have no personality, & 40% of what your say is %h4l$a#j!

Login/Join to Participate

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
Did we need a study to tell us that more than 40 percent of everything said in e-mail is misunderstood?
Well, they did one anyway. https://www.csmonitor.com/2006/0515/p13s01-stct.html

A whopping 44% of meaning is lost in e-mail and forum text.

You hit that send/submit button, and Bam, 100% of your body language and intonation are filtered right off.
Most of your personality has gotten lost in text.
Smilies put a bit back hug .... But really, that's quite a poor substitute.

So what's the ramification for HOP?

/Meme of the week.
biggrin

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
That is why the internet is so great, People think im cool....

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Somewhat ironic timing there Glass, concidering the stress of the past few days has been somewhat attributed to just this. Herm.

What's it mean for HoP?

Same as always I would think.

ubblol @ poje 'at's funny rite dayr

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Well plus the fact that 40% of this discussion has been talked about before... perhaps we'll become 40% better at communicating through low bandwidth media like text, and in the future 40% of kids time on computers at school will be devoted to learning how to 40% of their personality back into text, in a 40% revival of the great subject of English Lit.

I like the word stunted.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
I'd like to thank MCP for her contribution to this thread.
Especially her signature.

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
Fish will attempt to eat anything put into an aquarium.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

jarleGOLD Member
Lv15 Ranger
1,489 posts

Posted:
Including kittens.

I find it amusing that if 44% of meaning is lost simply by paying attention to words alone, does that mean that tone of voice and body language make up for the rest? Or is it also other factors, such as how attractive a person is, that makes you pay more attention to their words?

I think it's pretty well known that communication via forums, MSN, emails etc is one-dimensional, and sometimes you have to take something with a grain of salt - it's easy to feel insulted when someone was only making a joke, for example.

Kupo!

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
An interesting implication here would be the difference between male and female speech.

Male speech being very straight to the point with few hedgers.
Female speech containing lots of politeness indicators (such as hedgers and agreement terms) and

These differences make big enough problems in the real world, let alone the internet. I wonder if in text, without the obvious appearance of gender for interlocutors, it would make a difference to how things are not only spoken, but perceived as well.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

PhaiGOLD Member
113 posts

Posted:
Well, you lose alot of stuff.

Glaning over at a friend in slight concern, you wonder whether the weather, the ex, or the imminent failure in Biology are to blame. Trying to modulate you voice to that of caring concerned friend, you fold your hands in your lap. No! Too shrink-like. You decide to settle for a 'manly-pat-on-the-shoulder' and even that you wince at. I guess she picks up on something in your voice, so you rush the next lines to get over that awkward silence. "You alright?"

She has a strange look on her face. Perhaps she's never quite registered your voice squeaks abit when you're uncomfortable. Looking out the window, she frowns. Sighs. Looks up for a brief instant before her lips starts to tremble. "I'm fine."

Or...

Mitch_woz_here@ hotmail.com*: u alrite?

sassy_chick696@ hotmail.com*: i'm fine.

Honestly, I'm surprised that only 44% of meaning is lost ubblol

*N.B. Not real emails wink
EDITED_BY: Phai (1192099001)

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
surely that's all subjective though? sometimes more is lost and sometime no meaning is lost.

if I said:
do you have a pet?

is my meaning lost? because if so is it the writer or the reader confusing the issue.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
Mynci: Your pet question is simple, and difficult to unintentionally misinterpret.

On the other hand,your first sentence is hugely ambiguous,* both in its use of "that's" and "subjective".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subjectivity
I've genuinely got several interpretations and I don't know which one you originally meant!
Therefore demonstrating the point made by the survey in the OP.
Smiles
Drew

(*and I think is more of a fragment than a complete sentence, but my grammar is weak so don't hold me on that one.)

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Phai

Mitch_woz_here (at) hotmail.com: u alrite?

sassy_chick696 (at) hotmail.com: i'm fine.

Phai, are these real people's email addresses? ( eek ? )

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

PhaiGOLD Member
113 posts

Posted:
Dun worry. It just hyperlinks them on auto ubblol

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
NOW I;m confusedubblol what on earth does that mean?! confused

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

PhaiGOLD Member
113 posts

Posted:
 Written by: newgabe

Phai, are these real people's email addresses? ( eek ? )

No.

For purposes of sending mail (I guess) HoP just automatically links them. I can try and edit it if you'd like. wink

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Glåss

Mynci: Your pet question is simple, and difficult to unintentionally misinterpret.

On the other hand,your first sentence is hugely ambiguous,* both in its use of "that's" and "subjective".
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subjectivity
I've genuinely got several interpretations and I don't know which one you originally meant!
Therefore demonstrating the point made by the survey in the OP.
Smiles
Drew

(*and I think is more of a fragment than a complete sentence, but my grammar is weak so don't hold me on that one.)

Good point drew.... I could have meant all of them, or 1 but I believe (yes believe wink ) that syntax and context are required to let people know how text is to be taken. I don't think it's the fault of text. I have read books that have given me a deep understanding of a situation whereas the play / movie the actors body language to not convey the minutae. but then a book isn't a post or E-mail so I can see how brevity could cause issues.
hug

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
There seems to be a bit of wilful misinterpretation going on too; emotive topics cause a lot of heat because people simply get too passionate about it, and it's not a bad thing until frustration sets in.

I tend not to get involved in debates more than a couple of pages long as half the problems seem to come from there being too much for people to read, so the last page becomes repeats of previous arguments, with a couple of people geeting offended because points they brought up four pages ago are being ignored. It doesn't happen too much in real coversation.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

Invader XanSILVER Member
Your friendly neighbourhood mad scientist
479 posts

Posted:
Frankly, I'm surprised it's only 44% that get's lost. I'm sure I remember reading that in face to face conversation, only 7% is verbal.

I wonder how it varies across languages... In English, where intonation can alter the meaning of a whole sentence, it's likely to be different from, say, Japanese, which can be spoken in monotone without loss of meaning. The flipside being that some Japanese words can have a number of pronounciations.

"Love the art in yourself and not yourself in the art."
--Konstantin Stanislavisky

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
Certain cultures do not use as much encoded language. So certain cultures might be more straightforward and say they had a bad day or another might say they were fine.

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

BurdaASILVER Member
Sacrebleu
377 posts

Posted:
I too remember that in face to face encounters, verbal communication is supposed to make up less than 10% ... not entirely sure I trust this. I seem to remember that during a game of charades, talking would constitute a significant increase in communication (more than 7% surely). Obviously this is an annoying example but it just goes to show, it's all about context. and minstrels

I'm quite curious to find out how this 44% was measured, what exactly is the measurement unit for understanding?

Or perhaps they asked someone to convey the same point to different people through different mediums and then asked them how well they felt they understood.

Poi(poi~y) n. : A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.
- part owner of Wooktastic™ ©

Invader XanSILVER Member
Your friendly neighbourhood mad scientist
479 posts

Posted:
Mmmm... Minstrels.

"Love the art in yourself and not yourself in the art."
--Konstantin Stanislavisky

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
So - let me get this straight...
Are you saying you hate me?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
I am Durbs. I am.

smile

*slap*

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.