Forums > Other Toys > Rolling Over Contact Spheres...

Login/Join to Participate

Kathain_BowenGood Ol' Yarn For Hair
422 posts

Posted:
I just saw the neatest move at Atlantic City yesterday while scouting out a place for the Sands demo and was curious to ask some questions before I tried it out.

It was a rather slick little move involving a contact sphere and a rubber ball. The juggler in question rolled one sphere over the other without hand contact aside from the initial push to get the "over" sphere moving. The rest of the move seemed to be reliant upon moving the "under" sphere well.... under the other sphere. It was a really neat move, and I was wondering if anyone has tried it, and if my theory is correct, that the real trick to getting this move to stick is using a rubber ball so it has a little grip.

Ack! *wracking my brain!*

juggle

"So long and thanks for all the fish."

PinkNigelPinker than thou
336 posts

Posted:
What size was the rubber ball? Don't know if it's at all relevant*, but it'll maybe help visualise** it better..

*Except having written that I'm starting to think it probably is in a "bigger rubber ball is easier" kind of way..

** for "visualise" you could just read "try"

A wise man once said: "You have two ears and one mouth, therefore you should shut the censored up and listen" (though, to be fair, he might not've put it _quite_ like that..)

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
I think you're describing what I've heard many canadians call a snowman roll... where you roll two balls along in a stack or column. By many canadians, I mean two...

If I'm right, you can do this with two acrylics without any problem.

Can we get a better description, please?

You call them Spheres... you must have hung out with Michael Glenn... I never will understand why he likes to call them that. they're balls. shrug

Also, there are other contact juggling threads... wink

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

422 posts

Posted:
 Written by: PinkNigel

What size was the rubber ball? Don't know if it's at all relevant*, but it'll maybe help visualise** it better..

*Except having written that I'm starting to think it probably is in a "bigger rubber ball is easier" kind of way..

** for "visualise" you could just read "try"

Same size spheres. Looked like 3" from my spot, but my travelling companions were in a bit of a rush (*again with the scouting locations for the destruction of the Sands)

422 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Look_This_Changes

I think you're describing what I've heard many canadians call a snowman roll... where you roll two balls along in a stack or column. By many canadians, I mean two...

If I'm right, you can do this with two acrylics without any problem.

Can we get a better description, please?

You call them Spheres... you must have hung out with Michael Glenn... I never will understand why he likes to call them that. they're balls. shrug

Also, there are other contact juggling threads... wink

I'm coming up short on a way to describe it. It was just really slick and strange. Hrm. Ok. Picture three spheres in one hand like a triangle. You can flip the triangle by pushing one sphere up and over the other two so that one is now on the other side (*giving the impression that the entire grouping has flipped over). Same idea, only with just two spheres (one rolling over the other).

And, yes, I <3 Michael Glenn, Jennifer, and Andy-Man. Michael taught me how to contact one summer when I kept getting cut early from my ticket booth at Georgia (I was and still am a horrifically slow learner when it comes to contact, so it really took a whole season to get the basics). Old habits die hard, and I just can't shake calling them spheres.

Invader XanSILVER Member
Your friendly neighbourhood mad scientist
479 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Look_This_Changes

I never will understand why he likes to call them that. they're balls. shrug

Tuh-MAY-to -- Toh-MAH-to. tongue Besides, "spheres" just sounds cooler.

I'd love to see a vid of this trick, if anyone can find one. I'll bet Kathain's right and it's all about how you manipulate the lower of the two spheres...
( wink )

"Love the art in yourself and not yourself in the art."
--Konstantin Stanislavisky

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
There's a contact video floating about that has it. I know exactly what you are talking about, and I believe I saw it from the snowman roll.

I think I saw it on You Tube, but I don't save that stuff at all.

If it's any consolation Kathain, contact is something that is difficult for me too. Poi, staff, flags, etc...no sweat.
Contact and diabolo kick my arse!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
not what you're talking about, but pretty fun:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1biz8_imer-balles-cristales_creation

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Pele

If it's any consolation Kathain, contact is something that is difficult for me too. Poi, staff, flags, etc...no sweat.
Contact and diabolo kick my arse!

thats cos contact is real juggling wink

this move has several diffrent aproaches to it, the easist iv found is using two rubber bals, you hold them in the palm in a direct line with your arm. the secret is to push down with your fingers on the forward ball, and the push you arm through, like a normall armroll.

by pushing down on the first ball, you are trying to make it counterrotate an climb the second ball, where it stays on top as they both roll along the arm.

when you do this with acryics then you cant relly use the self climbing thing as there is no friction. Silverman has a video here personally i think this move is a bit of an oddity, and trains are more fun wink

this is insane!

have fun,

T wave

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti