Forums > Advanced Poi Moves > The Poi "I just learned a new advanced move / combo" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Notcomelan3 turning,

that has wall plane similar to inversion.

lightning,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Um, your correction of my ratio is apparently ignoring which integer was intended to be be which. As I was arranging the numbers (since I said "hand circle to poi circle") 1:2 is a three petal antispin. 1:3 is four petal, 1:4 is five petal, etc. "n" was a variable taking natural numbers as values and is the spot where poi revolutions go. If my informal use of "ratio" is confusing, then simply look at it as an ordered pair whose members can sometimes, but not always, be put into a ratio; and which nonetheless says something intelligible about what the poi are doing (namely, in this case, that the hand is making one circle, and the poi isn't making any). But even if you can't always make a ratio out of poi cycles to arm cycles, you can always make a ratio out of hand cycles to poi cycles relative to hand radius.

I am trying to state that loopiness is not a necessary condition for petals (though they are sufficient), and especially that visible loops are not a necessary condition. Petals and loops are not co-extensive. What makes for loops appearing under certain conditions is that there's a specific geometric property being expressed, and this mathematical property can be tracked and described whether or not loops are visible or present. That is, my preference is to define petals more mathematically since it's more useful when you're looking at transitions and such.

As for non-spinners seeing them, I have on more than one occasion needed to explain the pattern and where the petals go before people are able to see them, especially with sock poi or other unilluminated poi.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
If the hand is making a circle and the poi are not, then how can it be antispin? If theres nothing to compare the spin against how can you say its against it?

I take it you're talking about cycloids and pendulums then?

A cycloid is essentially a flower in which the radius of the unit circle is the length of the poi head, or you can do it by a little bit of a flick into a point iso.

On ratios, I am quite well aware of how they're used, I'm merely pointing out that it won't be either antispin or prospin, its just the hand moving around.
EDITED_BY: Mother_Natures_Son (1274238706)
EDIT_REASON: addition

hug

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Interesting. I feel more along the lines of MNS, if only because I have not grokked your idea yet.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
MNS: Wasn't implying that you didn't understand ratios; simply being explicit that I was abusing the notation slightly and trying to make clear the way in which I was doing so. No offense intended.

As for how you can call it antispin when the poi isn't spinning: antispin can be defined both in terms of the poi's absolute rotation or in terms of it's rotation relative to hand radius. The one petal antispin in question is, underwhelmingly, precisely a pendulum with the hand travelling in a circle. The poi lacks absolute rotation, but it does have hand-radial rotation, and it happens to be antispin. I prefer the hand-radial criterion for two reasons: it notationally avoids the awkward disparity between beat counts and petals, and it allows me to say things like "zero beat, one petal antispin" without the phrase having an empty extension. tongue2

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
But a pendulum goes back and forth? Surely that would make it both spin and anti-spin?

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Its like a horizontal cateye with pendulum stalls. The poi just heads in the opposite direction to the hand.

hug

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
I don't get it in the slightest bit...

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Not at all. Just means its hand-radial angular velocity isn't constant, but you can do it so that it never changes from negative to positive, I believe. At worst it "stalls" at points, but the net movement per hand cycle is antispin.

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
While the poi head moves to the right, the hand is on the left hand side of the unit circle rotation. When the poi head is on the left, the hand is on the right hand side of the unit circle rotation.

Its not antispin per se, but its something..

hug

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Ah.... So in effect, an anti-spun pendulum?

I think I get it now....

[ Unregistered ]addict
413 posts

Posted:
Something like this ?

0:26 - 0:40

or

1:22 - 1:31

grin

Also someone shoud write down all the crazy moves from Axel's video
into a single thread..maybe I'll do.

ninja

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Nah, not even close... His hands are still moving with the poi, the only difference is that he's putting a bit of isolation into it, or a bit of an extended cateye to create a line isolation.

The movement sister eleven is talking about is interesting to note, but I can't see it being used cleanly and effectively.

I'm not even convinced I'm doing it right, its a funny one.

I'm always sure to be proven wrong, though.

hug

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Blegh. Timing on this sucker is difficult....

2,280 posts

Posted:
Bleh, trying to learn wrist rolls in glowsticking. Making slow progress, but can't wait for the final product grin

willow2xSILVER Member
KeepTheWorldSpinning Originator
49 posts

Posted:
my most recent things are;
3D 90* AS plane changes
BTB T's n C's
Double throw 360's (tho they're not nailed yet
No Etra Beat Throws with a whole host of variants

ummmm? and some other stuff =]

KeepTheWorldSpinning with me =]

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
i got a watermill to orbital turn out to meltdown smile

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Antispin meltdown. Something clicked in my brain today and I said to myself "you know, you're making this more complicated than it really is..." And I was right. Now I have an even cooler transition out of reel pirouettes into antispin flowers...

EDIT: Also hard direction UTA crossers and several other moves that clicked when I realized that UTA crossers were just part of a five beat archer's weave. Also a weird stall CAP thing and a float thingy that one of my spin jam homies came up with. And a poi enigma isolation, though the cord kind of ruins the effect; it's just the only contact move I know so far tongue2
EDITED_BY: Sister Eleven (1274584816)

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
just learned a meltdown turn into orbital then turn out back to meltdown smile

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

2,280 posts

Posted:
Throwing one poi from a 1 handed butterfly and catching hit with my left hand. I love throwing it like 30ft in the air!

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
My unit circle hybrids are really coming together! As long as they don't involve horizontal cat-eyes...

Edit: Including a cat eye vs. extension thread the needle. (Yes, I edit a lot. Figure it's better than posting three times in succession.)
EDITED_BY: Sister Eleven (1274986649)

2,280 posts

Posted:
I DID IT I DID IT I DID IT!!!!! My antispin flower turns are finally clean! I can't wait to see me do it on video. Actually I thik I'll take my camera outside and look wink
EDITED_BY: SpinnerofDetroit (1274989020)

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Sister ElevenIncluding a cat eye vs. extension thread the needle.

Shiny....

[ Unregistered ]addict
413 posts

Posted:
Re-learned opposite direction anti-spin reel turning.

ninja

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Stalling from a split-same antispin flower into the same flower at a 90 degree angle. Turns out it's much easier stalling into the center of the flower instead of out at the top & bottom petals.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Forward and reverse three beat throwing weaves with no hand swaps and no-extra-beat throws. Also adapted a trivial rope dart trick: wrap the poi up around three fingers a couple of times and when I'm almost out of cord, point my hand in the direction of the poi's swing. Works better than most of the other shots I know.

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Hmmm.... Not quite solid yet, but playing with a btb weave to one side (half a btb waistwrap), into meltdown, back into btb weave to one side (btb waist wrap) the other side, into crosser, into antispin flower. Feels sort of cool.

Nothing revolutionary, but thought I might as well put some of it out there.

[ Unregistered ]addict
413 posts

Posted:
Re-learned:

-hands opposite + Poi anti-spin
-hands parallel + Poi anti-spin
-hands opposite + Poi alternate

And wall plane truning, 360 turning with low and high turn reels.

ninja

Smurf24029GOLD Member
Poi Master Smurf
343 posts

Posted:
Came up with this playing with carry overs. Sry for bad quality but I wanted to post a vid cuz I dont quite know how I would go about explaining it. Tell me what you think, its more or less the first actually technical trick I have come up with that looks cool. tongue2

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Nice one! Looks like a quick transition from a stall carryover into a spin vs. antispin or iso vs. cat eye hybrid. I need to try that out...

Smurf24029GOLD Member
Poi Master Smurf
343 posts

Posted:
after the carry over my un native hand is under my native hands poi. the non native hand spins in anti spin out also wrapping the other poi inward to a stall. after the poi is in anti spin it stalls half way through then goes into extension to restart the process. Thats the best way I cant put it.

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop

Page: ......